• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JGalt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2013
    Boone County
    Did not see a thread for this earlier, but for those members who may not have heard, the city of Lebanon is going to be exercising eminent domain. I've been informed that the directors of the club have decided not to fight this, so a selling price will be worked out and the facility will be a thing of the past. I was also told that they had looked in to the possibility of relocating the facility, but felt that the money received would not be sufficient to do so. Very disappointing, and is leaving me with the need to find another club as a shooting home.

FWIW,

J Galt

Last edited:

ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    Very disappointing indeed, though not entirely surprising. I always sort of cringed with kids playing soccer on the fields on the other side of the berm. Are there any other outdoor sites in Boone County or close by?

JGalt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2013
    Boone County
    In regards to your comments about children's soccer, the city and their zoning board were the ones who decided not to have a buffer zone, which is somewhat odd, since the club has been in existence for many decades. I'd say that any parent concerned with safety should speak with the zoning board and the town council. I believe that decision was purely theirs. But, that will be a moot point once it closes. I was not given a specific date, but I would be surprised if it wasn't finalized by early fall.

Unfortunately, there are no other ranges in Boone County.

FWIW,

J. Galt

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    It is too bad that "fair market value" isn't enough to buy and outfit an equivalent property in the same county. Especially as the current property has some real value (otherwise the city/county wouldn't want it) and the ideal place for a conservation club is out in the sticks a bit.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Did not see a thread for this earlier, but for those members who may not have heard, the city of Lebanon is going to be exercising eminent domain. I've been informed that the directors of the club have decided not to fight this, so a selling price will be worked out and the facility will be a thing of the past. I was also told that they had looked in to the possibility of relocating the facility, but felt that the money received would not be sufficient to do so. Very disappointing, and is leaving me with the need to find another club as a shooting home.

FWIW,

J Galt
    I can only hope that the club has retained an experienced eminent domain attorney to represent the club. The statutes are very specific as to how and why and what valuation is given for the property being taken. The club should contest the action and at least force Lebanon to ante up as much as possible within the bounds of the statutes and case law as to valuation of the property. Many times landowners "roll over" in these cases because they are ignorant of the applicable law and burdens placed on the taking entity and the rights of the landowner pertaining to valuation of the property. I urge the club to consult with an experienced eminent domain attorney!

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    Always Sad News like this. I live next to the Southwest Conservation Club in FtWayne. It's the only place in Ft Wayne members can Shoot inside the city limits outdoors. A friend was visiting and mentioned the gunfire. I responded "That's the sound of Freedom".

JGalt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2013
    Boone County
    I can only hope that the club has retained an experienced eminent domain attorney to represent the club. The statutes are very specific as to how and why and what valuation is given for the property being taken. The club should contest the action and at least force Lebanon to ante up as much as possible within the bounds of the statutes and case law as to valuation of the property. Many times landowners "roll over" in these cases because they are ignorant of the applicable law and burdens placed on the taking entity and the rights of the landowner pertaining to valuation of the property. I urge the club to consult with an experienced eminent domain attorney!

Great suggestion! This was brought up to one of the club officers. His response was that they weren't going to do this, because a number of directors "had close ties to the city". When he said this, the reply was: So the club is just going to accept this and close down? He said that it would, and that the funds received from the sale of the property would be distributed to various causes such as local 4H, etc.

Color me extremely disappointed, disgusted, and angry that club officers would put their personal gain over that of a very large number of members who are now out in the cold, in more ways than one. This isn't right, but I don't see that members have any recourse, without possibly getting some high powered legal help to go after the directors for breach of fiduciary duty, conflict of interest, and then to take on the city.

Time to find a new club, I guess.

FWIW,

JGalt

Mike F

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I'm not an attorney and have never been to the club, but don't directors have some level of fiduciary duty to act for the benefit of the members. If I were a director and "had close ties to the city" I would want to take every reasonable measure to ensure this was an "arms length" deal just to limit my own personal liability.

indiana36Bravo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2014
    Boone/Tipp. Countys
    I will say to this that in the end. They would lose the suite and would cost the club leaders more money to fight it then it would be worth in the legal battle to defend it I'm guessing and if so I understand that case and don't look down on the leaders of the club as I know all of them and understand where they are coming from. It stinks yes, but maybe someone could open another up somewhere just outside the limits. or when they get the huge double long ranges done built at the jail they would let public use them or allow us to host a range as such at the fairgrounds.

JGalt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2013
    Boone County
    So what is the board doing with the funds? The club will still exists.. just need to find a place..

As mentioned earlier, the information given out was that the directors will take the funds and donate the proceeds to various causes, such as 4H. When asked about relocation, the response was that it was not going to be done. Various excuses were given, but the bottom line is that it isn't going to happen. What is so frustrating is the fact that the membership was not allowed a say in any of this, so we're all left looking around for new venues to go to for shooting. Not quite what any of us were expecting. It's left some bad feelings.

FWIW,

JGalt

schick84

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Boone County
    To the OP, if you haven't been to Tim's Shooting Academy in westfield, check them out. That's where i go to shoot pistols, nothing but nice people and the range is top notch. For rifle shooting i go to linden conservation club north of Crawfordsville, i know it's a drive but usually it's not very busy and during the hot summer days you can stop by the lindy freeze for ice cream afterwards.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    To the OP, if you haven't been to Tim's Shooting Academy in westfield, check them out. That's where i go to shoot pistols, nothing but nice people and the range is top notch. For rifle shooting i go to linden conservation club north of Crawfordsville, i know it's a drive but usually it's not very busy and during the hot summer days you can stop by the lindy freeze for ice cream afterwards.

Don't mean to rain on your parade but shooting at Tim's in Westfield has certain drawbacks:

No drawing from a holstered position and shooting
    No rapid fire
    No shots beyond 15 yards
    Shooter must purchase a target or targets from the retailer
    Shooting charges defined by the half hour
    Requirement to breathe in other shooter's lead dust ( no matter how good the ventilation system is )
    Having to be in the lane next to the guy shooting the AR with the flash suppressor or the guy shooting the .40 with full defense loads ( there ain't enough hearing protection available for either)
    Having the SO prevent you from picking up your own brass that you want to reload.
    Shooting next to the new gun geek or the "pro." Both of whom either want your advice or feel it necessary to give you theirs.

As far as going to Linden - 90 mile round trip for me. Not quite the same as driving to Lebanon and back home - - 24 miles round trip.

Lastly, please tell me how good the fishing is at Tim's.

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Lebanon
    When I use to paint the football field I was always afraid of strays or shrapnel coming over. Let alone the hundreds of kids that practiced and played near the fence line. But it is an unfortunate event to say the least that the city would claim the property. What are they going to do with it? Build more apartments!!! Yay...

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Sorry to bust the bubble so to speak but Linden isn't accepting new members right now. Their membership exploded last year and they're trying to figure out how to handle the increase before accepting new members.

ekg98

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2008
    Sorry for the extremely late reply. Indeed I was a member and this was very close for me to go shooting. One of the directors wouldn't even tell us what happened. Just that it closed and won't open again. I was a member for nearly half a decade. Where does everybody go shooting now. Indoor ranges are out of the question. Nearest one is Brazil that I know of.

Top Bottom