• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    So you are going with the nekkid plan too? At least, you could get some sun that way, but wouldn't you melt?
    I don't dislike the neighbors that much. ​I don't even ride, I wanted to years ago, but I couldn't afford a bike, now I can't afford a bike and honestly I don't really want one. Flame on!

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I don't dislike the neighbors that much. ​I don't even ride, I wanted to years ago, but I couldn't afford a bike, now I can't afford a bike and honestly I don't really want one. Flame on!

Since I am a passenger and not a driver, I think I will have to look into those daisy duke shorts! :lmfao:

GlockRock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Typically I wear jeans and boots. If it's a quick trip to the store (7 blocks away) I'll put my sneakers on. I don't wear a helmet. It's my choice. I don't make fun of those that wear them either.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    If I had been wearing sneakers when I wrecked my bike I would have broken a few more bones according to the docs

target64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    West Side
    I find my choice of gear is determined by the time of year, road choices, and weather conditions. The minimum is steel toed sneakers and jeans. I myself do not understand a person who wears a full face helmet with his cargo shorts and sandals.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    :rolleyes:
    Always happy ta oblige, dude.........:):

http://img.medscape.com/pi/emed/ckb/neurosurgery/247017-247664-5367.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-...ents+wear+helmet+to+avoid+fatal+accidents.jpg

http://www.documentingreality.com/f...8d1233246678-motorcycle-accident-untitled.jpg

http://cmsimg.stevenspointjournal.c...-legislating-cranial-protection-motorcyclists

Fer m'self......never wear shorts o' NO kind......boots all'a time anyways, NOT westerns,soles too slick(western style, me'be.....)....jeans, sleeveless in hot weather, vest usually....gloves.....goggles.....helmet?.....got 3 da*n things, 2, 1/2 lids.....an'a Bell 500......it the Bell when I DO wear 1 , 50/50 on when....sumtimes yeah.....most times no.....I'll say if yer head DOES take a skid.....a good 1 CAN save you skull......:yesway:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-huOq7AYyQ...zY/s1600/motorcycle-helmet-after-accident.jpg
    I think this is the most clear and understandable post from you! :yesway:

Made the mistake of clicking on the top one. :puke:

Yes, I do tell people to wear a helmet; but, I don't make them. There should be no laws about helmet use. If you weigh the risks (severity/likelihood) and believe that the enjoyment you receive from not wearing a helmet* is worth the risk, then so be it. In some ways I find it comforting that you think the risk is so low you'll take the chance. For me, the consequence of having my brain scrambled or drinking my meals through a straw while my jaws heals is very unappealing. Think about, there's a big gap from walking away from a collision with no damage to the head and death. Most impacts to the head hit the chin, not the crown.

I do have a problem with squids on bikes with their GF on the back in flip-flops and tank tops. My guess is she hasn't stopped to think about the risks and depends on the dbag she's holding onto. There's plenty of web pages about when this scenario goes wrong.

:twocents:

Oh, and my favorite is the guy's on their big dresser draw bikes with "ballistic armor" scrubs and Crocs. :rolleyes:

* I can't stand riding too far without one!

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Well, after seeing that lovely picture, I might have to put the flip flops away and put on my cowboy boots. I don't always wear long pants as I don't see where jeans are really much more protection than capris, but I don't wear shorts very often on or off the bike. I rarely wear a helmet, but we avoid the highways as much as possible and aren't in any races when we ride. We mostly cruise around the country on less traveled roads. I know accidents can happen anywhere, but we have more control over our safety where there is less traffic to deal with.
    The problem with that line of reasoning is that collisions in those situations are much more likely to be at 50+ MPH. Someone pulls out from a stop in front of you (or you pull out in front of someone else)...

If you watch the news it's usually those incidents that are tragic, not the ones in town or the rare race scenario. Even freeway driving could be considered less risky.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I'm not looking at that disturbing pic! I caught a quick glimpse of it on Facebook the other day, and I don't want it stuck in my mind!
    This thread reminds me that I am due to replace my helmet. I wear a "shorty" helmet by NXT or NEXL, looks like they may no longer be in business. It is so hard to find a good, comfortable helmet, and I have a bit of a neck issue, so it can't be too heavy or cause too much wind drag. Any suggestions?
    Not really, but my last helmet was bought at this store:
    Map and Driving Directions IRON PONY DIRECT Westerville, OH (877) 799-7669

It's in Columbus, OH and the selection is huge. Think of a small Walmart store filled with motorcycle gear.

I tried on an Arai Profile and fell in love. That helmet fit my odd shaped head perfectly.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    As far as boots, The best purpose designed motorcycle boots I ever owned were OXTAR brand from italy. Very comfortable, very flexible, proper armor in all critical places. Of course they cost gucci loafer price. They did save my feet in a pretty bad accident.

Don't feel too secure about jeans if you are pavement surfing at speed. My jeans started to shed 5 feet into a 100 foot fly/ tumble/ slide event that happened immediately after I was launched over the truck. My thighs and knees painted the pavement until I came to a stop.

The jeans failed early. I was wearing a Joe Rocket mesh jacket and the spine plate, shoulder armor and the elbow armor ground part way through, but keep my flesh of the roadway. The dumb thing is that I had a pair of Joe Rocket armored mesh pants bungie corded to the back of the seat. I am convinced they would have saved my skin alot more than the Levi's.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Leather Boots, long pants, riding jacket with zip out panels for mesh openings and helmet. My wife rides her own and does the same. If I have a passenger they will have to abide by the same.

Hexlobular

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    SWI
    The problem with that line of reasoning is that collisions in those situations are much more likely to be at 50+ MPH. Someone pulls out from a stop in front of you (or you pull out in front of someone else)...

If you watch the news it's usually those incidents that are tragic, not the ones in town or the rare race scenario. Even freeway driving could be considered less risky.

I disagree. People wear all the gear on the highway thinking that's where it's most dangerous due to the speed, but most accidents happen in town, and it's those times when folks just wear tennis shoes and no helmet.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I'm not looking at that disturbing pic! I caught a quick glimpse of it on Facebook the other day, and I don't want it stuck in my mind!
    This thread reminds me that I am due to replace my helmet. I wear a "shorty" helmet by NXT or NEXL, looks like they may no longer be in business. It is so hard to find a good, comfortable helmet, and I have a bit of a neck issue, so it can't be too heavy or cause too much wind drag. Any suggestions?

This one looks pretty comfy.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    When I did ride, I wore sneakers as I hadn't gotten around to buy motorcycle boots...safety/steel toe boots are a no-no...

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I disagree. People wear all the gear on the highway thinking that's where it's most dangerous due to the speed, but most accidents happen in town, and it's those times when folks just wear tennis shoes and no helmet.

Possibly. I have only anecdotal evidence: reading the papers, watching the new, the fatal / gory collisions are on "State Road XX".

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    When I did ride, I wore sneakers as I hadn't gotten around to buy motorcycle boots...safety/steel toe boots are a no-no...

Huh? I wear steel toed boots. But come to think about it, I ride a scooter so maybe it's a shifting thing...
    It has been a long time since I rode a bike with a foot shifter.

Top Bottom