• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sandwich

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2013
    Any recommendations on what to use, how to clean up my bore brush after cleaning the gun? I just cleaned my glock 23 for the first time yesterday, pretty quick and easy but I've never used a nylon brush before. The glock came with it. Any recommendations on nylon vs wire bristle?

jmach

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Columbus
    to clean the brush, I just rinse brushes in tap water and dry well,
    scrunch into a shop rag if you like, that should neutralize the chemicals if that's your concern. Some copper removers will eat bronze bristles over time.

For me, nylon is ok if it's powder fouling, but if you have some stubborn
    copper fouling or leading, you'll likely need a bronze brush to help remove that.

I might use the nylon at the range if the chamber is getting nasty, until I get home.
    My go to is a bronze brush and Hoppe's #9 after a range session.

speaking of wire bristles, I'd avoid the stainless brushes. in my opinion, they could be hard on a barrel, and a bronze brush has never failed me yet.

my 2cents worth, and enjoy your new 23!

nascarfantoo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Western IN
    Not sure this is typical way of cleaning bore brush, but I soak the brush in solvent. Then while wet and using my leather work gloves I pull the brush trough a couple of fingers which "flings" some junk off the bristles. Then I periodically replace the brushes.

nascarfantoo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Western IN
    Not sure this is typical way of cleaning bore brush, but I soak the brush in solvent. Then while wet and using my leather work gloves I pull the brush trough a couple of fingers which "flings" some junk off the bristles. Then I periodically replace the brushes.

Best to do this outside!! Wife will not like it all over the kitchen counter.

sandwich

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2013
    Thanks all for the suggestions. I think all I had in the barrel was some carbon scoring but I did notice some brass shavings. I'll have to get my hands on a bronze brush for the long term. And I will stay away from the stainless, I assume the stainless might be harder than whatever steel the barrel is.

Signal23

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Greenwood
    NEVER dip your brush in to the clean batch of solvent, alway apply the sovent to the brush or set aside the amount you want to dip in and throw out.

Top Bottom