• ...and so much more!
  • Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Not sure where some are getting their training but we have seen first hand how shooters start out at 100 and create unsafe rounds leaving the range because of their mal adjustments. FWI worth, I use the Sweet Spot (SAAMI) Factory round for the caliber and make my adjustments with 2 rounds at 15 yards and put the third usually within an inch of the paster at 100 yrds. I admit sometimes I need a 4th rd if I over adjust. Not sure if this will work with sub standard scopes and mounts as I only use Leupold.

I didn't read far enough ahead.
    Bore sighting lets me get beyond 15 yards to rough in the scope.

Small's

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    south of Indy
    Personally I think bore sighting is a waste of time. But that's just my opinion!! I Start out at like 10-25 yards

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Personally I think bore sighting is a waste of time. But that's just my opinion!! I Start out at like 10-25 yards

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Smart man! I find many of today's rifleman cannot compute trajectory for calibers either from 15 yards to whatever.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    As long as you get there. Just a different way of doing it.

I still prefer to pull the bolt and sight it in. The reason being I'm at a range, and the round will go beyond the target and go who knows where when I start out that close.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    As long as you get there. Just a different way of doing it.

I still prefer to pull the bolt and sight it in. The reason being I'm at a range, and the round will go beyond the target and go who knows where when I start out that close.

So you can't put the target against the backstop or do you use a fixed bench at 100?

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    It's a range with cables. If I'm shooting a rifle, the one I go to goes out 75 yards. An outdoor range for rifle cartridges isn't close by.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Interesting thread.
    I have a process that includes the fancy light. I have done it other ways but the light I have works well if you use it properly.

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    traditionalist
    I use the Jack O'Connor method to bore sight & takes three shots
    first-
    scope mounted 1.5 in. above bore use 25 yds
    iron sights use 12.5 yds
    reason: almost ALL centerfire rifle cartridges are "dead on" at that distance and at 100 yards. this is good fact to remember for ever....

bore-sighting sounds technical BUT is very EASY
    you are just looking through the rifles bore just like a drinking straw if you will.
    bolt guns & ar & single shot are easiest
    lever guns take an inexpensive mirror (I have one designed for this but could get a glass/mirror shop to make one) they are thin and fit in the open action so you can see through the bore.
    For a target I use any object size of a brick @ 25 yds or 12.5 yds
    Bench or table with any box & soft towel to rest gun and allow you to see through the guns bore and align it stationary while I adjust scope cross-hairs
    that step takes some skill but is easy
    you look through the bore & center the brick
    then without moving the rifle move scope elev. & windage dials to center of brick
    Success
    then ready for live ammo at 25 or 12.5 yd range
    ALL BORE-SIGHTING IS DONE @ HOME in comfortable setting
    I shoot just one shot @ my favorite target plain white 8.5 X 11 black Quarter bull

a quick adjustment is made using the graduations of the scope 1/4" usually at 100yds is standard
    key is that at 25 yds you need to go 4 times that much ( 1/4 " requires 4 clicks at 25 yds and 1" takes 16 clicks to change the impact point.) such is the math that scares a lot of people
    2 & 3 rd shots taken at 100 yds if available. otherwise you need to know the trajectory of your cartridge for say 50 yds.
    If you noticed I did not take a 2nd shot at 25 or 12.5 yds. because most scopes today have rather accurate adjustment graduations at 100yds
    Using the same target or new one at 100 yds fire shot 2
    measure or calculate to get shot 3 to where you want the "zero"
    I use + 3.0 inches for big game and + 1.5 in for varmints
    Try it you should now be ready to bore-sight with confidence.
    good shooting

Last edited:

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Interesting thread.
    I have a process that includes the fancy light. I have done it other ways but the light I have works well if you use it properly.

The wise will have seen that these threads are purpose driven thought starters especially for folks that haven’t given their sacred cows a second look. It stings us all sometimes when our ideas are tested. At the end of the day however, we expose the knowledge for what it’s worth. There is really no right or wrong, good or bad equipment per se but how it works for us and why it does.

youre welcome

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    I also do all my own optic installs, and use bubble levels to ensure proper mounting. Usually a quick boresight through the barrel (if bolt removable) and/or use of my universal laser tool: https://sightmark.com/product.php?item=312
    My neighbors garage is about 30y, so it serves as a starting point before I even leave the house. Usually puts me within a few MOA so fine tuning is a breeze. As stated above, the primary reason is to save on ammo. I grew up on the "3 shot rule" for sighting in, but this makes life a lot simpler.
    e8d785fc42489264258c1b1e42315c3c.jpg

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I used the scale on Google maps and found I bore sight at 75 yards. I'm thinking the shooting range is 75 feet, not 75 yards. But I'm in the target when I get to the range.

I have a vice on a round steel tool table. I vice up the barrel in some padded jaws and center the porch light across the street through the barrel.

kml

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2013
    United States
    No one uses the "one shot" method anymore? Only tools you need are a few sand bags. It's been around forever and used to be the standard.
    First reference I saw to it was from the 60's ish and I think it was from guy named Jack Connors or O'conners but I could be wrong on the name.

Easy, fast, and doesn't require much equipment.

A google search brings up a lot of guides for doing it.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I have boresighted a rifle, fired a round and had it shoot dead on more than once. The problem with that is it was only one round and one round isn't enough to tell you anything other than you are or are not on paper.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom