• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jworm1420

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    i am looking for a boresight for my ar so i can sight in my scope. my question is which one is more cost efficient. the actual cartridge that u put in ur chamber or the rod like one u stick in the end of ur barrel? im trying to b cheap as possible for this specific part. opinions????

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I have a friend, who I helped him buy, his first AR-15... HE used a bore sighter, TWICE, and BOTH times, I had to take him to WW, and get him on paper, at 25 yards, and then to 50 yards, to "finish" sighting in ...

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    i am looking for a boresight for my ar so i can sight in my scope. my question is which one is more cost efficient. the actual cartridge that u put in ur chamber or the rod like one u stick in the end of ur barrel? im trying to b cheap as possible for this specific part. opinions????
    honest opinion.. buy the extra few boxes of ammo that the boresight would cost and do it old school. 25 yards on a 4x8 sheet of plywood covered in paper. whence it is dialed in to about a 3-5 inch deviation, move out to 50 yards. then dial it in slowly with an inch high at 50 yards. depending on the scope and ranges at which you will be shooting. (bench gun? or hunting?) just what i do with all my scoped rifles. good luck.

boomboom

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2009
    Take the upper off and the BCG out and look down the barrel,its a cheap bore site that will get you on the paper.Hard to keep it steady though.

ArmedRPh

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    I use the laserlyte Universal mini bore sight...something like $40 on Amazon. Since I am one of those cursed fools that lives in the city and has to live by IMPD enforced firearms laws, I can't shoot out the back door at a target 10 yards away, zero, back up and repeat. First time I tried to zero my AR at Atterbury range, I blew through $40 dollars of ammo trying to zero. Some of that you can write off to inexperience in zeroing a rifle, but the facts remain. The BoreSight allowed me to get close by targeting the fence in my backyard with the laser and zero to that. Next time at the range, all I needed was a couple of 5 round groups to fine tune it.
    Assuming that I'll purchase more firearms in the future, which isn't much of a stretch, I'll save myself in ammo costs by getting on the paper with the laser initially.
    While the cartridge shaped lasers seem like a good idea, the model I purchased will work in any firearm from .22 to .50 caliber. Seems like a more economical way to go about it.

My :twocents:

Mike.B

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Grant County
    I agree with ArmedRPh, my scope was bore sighted when I purchased it. At 100 yards I was about 4 inches high and 6 inches right. I shoot four shot groups, took five for a dead on zero. I'll ask my local shop what he uses it was very effective.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    I own one of the stick boresighters that you talk about. It works as long as you use the boresight at about the same distance you are sighting it in for. However while I was sighting in my .308 at the range, a nice guy beside me had a Leupold magnetic one and it worked like something amazing. I was literally 1.5" away from center after the boresight.

It costs a little more than the others, but it's definitely worth it.

Top Bottom