• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    A Marine friend's niece and sister were right at the finish line when the bombs went off. Neither was injured, but I'm sure memories of that will last forever.

He mentioned that a group of Marines had just finished the 26 mile marathon wearing full uniforms and 40 pound packs. I did some research and found that the group of 15 were actually members of the Mass. National Guard. They were recovering in an area adjacent to the blasts and immediately sprang into action. They were pulling victims from the debris, treating the wounded and sealed off the blast area.

This was the first that I heard this story and I feel others need to be aware of our Heroes. Take a look at the story and photos of our men in uniform in action.

Hand salute from a Marine. :patriot::patriot:

These Soldiers Did the Boston Marathon Wearing 40-Pound Packs. Then They Helped Save Lives. | Mother Jones

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    I posted that in the "big" thread about the bombing. I have run a few races and seen guardsmen as volunteers on the course, so I figured that's who those guys were when I saw the video of them rushing in to clear the fencing. But it sorta completed the loop to read that they had just finished rucking the marathon. It's great that they were able to spring in to action and help the victims. And about the cowboy hat wearing Carlos Arredondo that became "famous" for holding the guy's artery closed to keep him from bleeding out. It was interesting to read about him and his past.

I think there's lots of stories that come to light after tragedies like this. It's neat to read them in a morbid curiosity sort of way.

Top Bottom