• ...and so much more!
  • Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Just ordered a couple of items from Scheel's today.

For getting the crimps out of 5.56×45mm and some commercial .223 Rem brands, 7.62×63mm (30-06), and 7.62×51mm (.308 win), I've read some good things about the Dillon Super Swage 600. A friend of mine has one a really likes it. I have a bunch of brass saved up and looking forward to trying this little tool out:

60982420095_F_zpsgjl9aowr.jpg

I have an old Lyman vibratory tumbler that's 25 years old, still works but has seen its better days. Thought I'd try moving up. The Dillons are supposed to be a cut above the other brands.
    60982419455_F_zps4etc8kxj.jpg

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Look around on the net, there's a mod using a rubber band on the swager. It makes the part you put the shell on spring loaded, suposed to speed up the process.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    The rubber band mod does speed things up. If you are only doing a small batch it doesn't really matter, but if you are knocking out a couple thousand it is a big time saver.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    I have owned both for years and years.. You will find you bought great reloading equipment.. Money well spent..

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I haven't yet drunk the blue Kool-Aid, but everything I've ever heard about Dillon is that they don't make junk.
    You may pay a bit more for their equipment than their competitors charge, but their products exude quality, they proudly stand behind them, and their customer service consistently gets raves.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I have the RCBS swage kit. How is that Dillon for getting the swage pin out of the primer pocket? It takes a bit of force for the RCBS, and the dedicated tool seems like it's just going to rob you of bench space.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I have the RCBS swage kit. How is that Dillon for getting the swage pin out of the primer pocket? It takes a bit of force for the RCBS, and the dedicated tool seems like it's just going to rob you of bench space.

I've used both, I think the Dillon is easier to use.
    As for loosing dedicated bench space, why does it need to stay mounted when not in use? Mount it when you have a bucket of brass to do.

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    Lots of 'blue love' around here. I feel like an outcast with 'H-red'. Keeping an eye open for a case feeder system.

My tumbler routine is load a batch before I leave for work and let it run all day on the back porch. 10 hours later, nice and shiny.

:ingo:

Lee S. Forsberg

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2011
    I've used the RCBS swaging tool for years also used a CH4-d tool. Both work well. Never used used a Dillon tool maybe it's time I made a change. Did have one problem with the RCBS tool and unsorted brass. Got a case with a very thick web put an "S" curve in the stem assembly. Had a problem with the CH-4D system bending rims. Those of you who use the Dillon have you had any problems like these?

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN

I've heard of guys having some issues with the RCBS rods if not adjusted just right. Also takes a little occasional coaxing / elbow grease on the RCBS equipment to free the case from the swager. The Dillon tool is specifically designed just for the swaging operation and is supposed to be smoother. I will use it for the first time in the next week or so and will let you know how it goes.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I just used the Super Swage for the first time over the weekend. I had 200 rounds of .223 that took less than 15 minutes to swage once I got it adjusted right. It's fast and easy to use. There was very little adjustment required, and the minor adjustments needed were easy to make.

I have a bunch of 7.62 x 51 and 7.62 x 63 to do next. Have to de-cap and re-size them first, and will probably run them through the swager next weekend. Will require changing out the swaging rod for the large size primer pockets. I anticipate that will be easy.

So far very impressed. Well worth the c-note.

Last edited:

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Yep, no surprise at all.
    It seems that it's worth the modest premium to get the blue swager if you load military brass.

Top Bottom