Bought a gun today ... scared the heck out of myself!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    My Dad always had a saying " everyone knows a unloaded gun kills!! so I keep all mine loaded!!!" meening treat every gun as if it is loaded!! :D

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Darn good thing I follow gun safety rules.

Today I drove down to Indianapolis to meet up with another Detonics collector, a guy I've known for a while, who I trust, who seems to be knowledgeable, etc. Never seen him mishandle a gun. He often displays guns and knives at the big gun shows, buys & sells, etc. So this guy is no idiot off the street who would use a gun to install his satellite dish.

The purpose of today's meeting was to buy one of his Combat Master pistols. A very rare 38 Super variant, this is the MK VI model, which is the deluxe version of the gun. He opens his pistol case, hands me the gun, I quickly look at the side to make sure its the one I had seen before, it is I set the gun onto the back seat of my car.

About an hour later I am driving home, the gun is still sitting on the back seat. I'm thirsty so I pull off the interstate and into a Starbucks 'drive thru' lane in Lafayette. Sitting in line waiting I turn around pick up the gun. Look it over again, can't believe I got this thing, and then I release the magazine and rack the slide . . . OUT POPS A LIVE WINCHESTER SILVER TIP +P 38 Super ROUND :nono:

Even when you 'know' the gun is unloaded, remember to treat all guns as if they are loaded :draw:

You'd think that someone as knowledgeable about guns as this guy supposedly is would have made sure that it was clear before handing it to someone else.

theturtle06

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Denver, CO
    You'd think that someone as knowledgeable about guns as this guy supposedly is would have made sure that it was clear before handing it to someone else.

One can never assume anything with firearms. If I am around any firearm I always check the action every single time I pick it up. Even if I see someone check the action in front of my own eyes I always check it myself. It is not a sign of disrespect or not trusting someone but as you can see, even in the case of enthusiasts oversights can and do happen. Let's just be glad that even though there were oversights, there was a good ending to this. :)

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Like Larrylegend said.... if common sense safety rules had been followed, the seller or you, would have cleared the gun when it was first handed to you....

Glad nobody got hurt.....

7orelevn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Greenwood
    I have always been told that when given a gun to check and re-check for live ammo. This post proves that it is a great idea to check and re-check. Thanks for post.

Top Bottom