• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tankerdave

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2014
    N E Indiana
    Need some info from the CZ guru's. I got a PO-1 used that was made in 2009. I don't know the round count but gun looks it has been taken very good care of. It came with the factory barrel and also a threaded barrel, also some packages of Wolff springs. 2 unopened recoil and firing pin spring sets and 1 set of magazine springs but they are for full size mags not compact. Also had 10 mags, Crimson Trace Laser Grips and some recoil spring rods both metal and plastic. The gun has run flawless since I got it. With the age of the gun and not knowing round count should I have the gun gone thru and springs replaced that are commonly wear items or just enjoy it till it start to give me problems. I would want someone else to go thru it, I have never taken a gun apart before. Any and all info appreciated, Thanks.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    You've never taken a gun apart? Not even field stripping to clean it? :dunno:

I wouldn't worry the slightest about the springs.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    Springs in a resting state last an awful long time when they're not being compressed/expanded, especially in something like your scenario where it doesn't sound like it's been fired much. If it's not giving you any issues with loading, firing or ejecting, enjoy your new purchase. Sounds like you have plenty of spare parts, and goodness, a package with 10 mags is ACE, that's a good score! And the P-01 has quite a reputation for being an accurate, reliable and long-lasting piece. You picked a good one.

If you want to be one of the cool kids, we'll need to see a picture.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I am in the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" camp.
    You can usually tell by the way it runs when the springs need replaced.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    Run it til it breaks. 10 years is nothing. My father in law has a Colt 1911 from 1917. Only thing that needed replaced after 95 years was the extractor...

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Run it til it breaks. 10 years is nothing. My father in law has a Colt 1911 from 1917. Only thing that needed replaced after 95 years was the extractor...
    If it wasnt for that ones historical and family significance, the whole gun needs replaced because it's a 1911 :):

And this thread is no longer about CZ's ;)

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Since a thread has more value when it has pics, here is my contribution:

iKU6z3Jh.jpg

That was my old P-01, the first gun I ever had cajunized by the Wizard. Fantastic gun, but my Niece talked me out of it when I bought a fully cajunized 75 compact off another INGO member.

Tankerdave

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2014
    N E Indiana
    Want to say Thank You to everyone that responded to this thread, and I go thru the cz thread 2 or 3 times a day. Enjoy it very much and could tell that most knew each other more than just posting on a forum, so that's why I just started a new thread. Thanks for the pic wtburnette, mine looks same except black and no mods.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I am assuming you have the metal guide rod in the pistol, and junking plastic one is the spare.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I would not use a steel guide rod with the alloy frame. :twocents:

Thanks. I had to get a second opinion. This is what I found.

Walt Sherrill

Quote:
    How could they possibly be a problem for alloy framed pistols when they make no contact and have no bearing on an alloy frame?

With the CZ and several other guns, the top half of the base of the guide rod rests on the barrel lug when the gun is at rest, and the breech is locked. The bottom half of the guide rod rests in a circular area in the frame, with little or no contact with the frame UNTIL THE SLIDE BEGINS TO MOVE.

As a round is fired, the barrel, slide, and guide rod starts to move to the rear as the oblong (kidney bean-shaped) opening in the barrel lug moves down the slide stop. Then, the base of the guide rod comes to rest in the circular, half moon area called the "receiver stop." At that point, it has separated from the barrel lug and the bottom half of the guide rod stays positioned on the FRAME throughout most of the firing cycle, moving and tilting slightly as the barrel and slides moves farther to the rear. (You can tell that the guide rod is tilting as you watch its front end move upward as the slide moves to the rear.) There is contact between the guide rod and the frame during this part of the firing cycle; and because the base of the slide stop is tilting and rocking, there is potential for wear at that point.

CZ has seen degradation to that part of the frame due to the use of steel guide rods in the alloy-framed guns and warns against using steel guide rods in those models. CZ will sell steel guide rods for use in their other models, including the "steel-framed" Compact, but will not knowingly sell a steel guide rod for use in an alloy-framed model.

Why would people sell these guide rods if they don't work? They may work fine in alloy-framed guns, as long as you don't shoot the guns a lot. Chances are, many people using them haven't had problems -- and may never. The steel guide rods certainly work properly in the steel-framed Compact. But, if the receiver stop area becomes badly worn, the slide stop may not stay in position and the gun could fail to cycle properly. CZ will not honor a warranty for that sort of damage.

Don't believe me? Contact CZ customer service and see what they say. That's exactly what I did, years back, when I talked with the Head gunsmith at CZ-USA. I later posted his observations and warnings in the CZ Forum's FAQ area; I was one of the senior moderators there for a number of years.
    user_offline.gif

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for researching the logic behind this issue. I wondered why there was concern as I have a couple of TriStars that are alloy frame with steel guide rod. I have 9000 rounds through the T-120 and had to go check it. I don't know what a "badly worn" receiver stop looks like but the pistol still functions perfectly, just like it always has.

Top Bottom