Bought my first glock, shot it, liked it, now what?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Other than sights, you don't "need" to do anything to it. All of that stuff is out there to make money, not improve the gun. Give yourself some time and a lot of rounds through it before you decide to do anything. After many thousands of rounds and many classes and tons of hours of dry practice with mine, I added an RMR and a 3.5 connecter. I got the connecter because the RMR gives you the ability to hit so much farther out that trigger manipulation becomes even more important.(If thats possible). This is coming from a guy who has a bad case of modifyitis.:):

Well said and I agree! Sights may help, but lots of ammo and practice always did me the best.

Mordred

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Why buy a Glock if you are going to change it? Glocks don't need anything changed. Anyone who does has just drank the kool-aid of advertising. Other than night sites the only thing you need to spend money on is range time. Shoot that sucker till its 2nd nature to you...and then some.

Davegrave

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 16, 2011
    Hammond, IN
    Why buy a Glock if you are going to change it? Glocks don't need anything changed. Anyone who does has just drank the kool-aid of advertising. Other than night sites the only thing you need to spend money on is range time. Shoot that sucker till its 2nd nature to you...and then some.

Why customize anything? Why buy a car and put an NRA sticker on the window? It doesn't improve the car. Why put on nice wheels? Why not leave your house just the way you bought it?

Some people just enjoy tinkering. Nothing wrong with it. I'd say the huge sales from 3rd party companies and the number of posts I read about peoples Glocks points to the possibility that you're in the minority of Glock enthusiasts by not changing a thing.

I don't mess with parts that affect function. I plug it. If I have a compact I replace it with the OEM smooth trigger. And I put on the OEM extended slide release. I just like it more. It's a Glock part that Glock uses on other models.

One way or the other...while I agree that no one "needs" to make any changes, it's fun to do and makes you feel like your gun is unique.

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    Now what?

Now you go buy a 1911 of course!

Yes sir!....Gotta love a 1911!....But on the subject of glocks....you have got to spend the money on a good set of tritium night sights. (I prefer Meprolight). Other than that nothing is really needed. Although I do have a 3.2 lb trigger mod on my G19 and its wonderful, but not a necessity.

shoot the radio

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    Bought the gtl10 when purchased my glock for home defense...not only does it give it that total "swat" look to it,if I hear a bump in the nite I have instant flashlight/pistol combo in one to reach for...far as "mods"..w glocks rep...I leave rest of the pistol stock...but hey...do what makes ya happy..hell look @ the ar guys & ask about "tinkering"...

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Best trigger set up I've discovered for glocks goes against conventional wisdom.

EXTRA power striker spring
    Extra power trigger spring
    Ghost rocket ultimate 3.5LB connector w/overtravel stop
    Reduced power firing pin block spring
    Light polish on all trigger components

The extra power striker spring prevents the mushy feel a lightened connector often causes for glocks. Be careful with this set up though, on the guns I've done it with, they've wound up around 3 pounds or less with a very very strong trigger reset. This means you can unintentionally bump fire the gun because the reset is so pronounced. But you can fire inhumanly fast and controllable once you're used to it.
    You'll sure as hell never have a weak primer strike!

For sights, ameriglo hackathorns are my favorite. I've tried about all the wiz-bang sights out there and these mix everything I like together.

I prefer a stainless guide rod just as a nice touch, and it's pretty cheap.

All these together makes my glocks feel every bit as good as anything else out there. Oh, can't forget, white letter everything with some very tough finger nail polish or a laquer stick. Really makes the gun look slick, especially on the barrel.

Best thing is, besides the white lettering, none of this really changes the looks of the gun.

Last edited:

NullSyndrome

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Gilbert, AZ
    A lot of people automatically say "replace the sights with night sights," but I have found that the stock "dot in a box" sights aquire very quickly for me, much faster than a three dot setup. I notice it most when shooting steel. Now if there was a night site like that, I might be interested, but for now, mine stays stock.

Mudcat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Warrick county
    Many thousands of rounds through my G19 I recomend a good set of steel night sights, a good quality IWB holster and 10 extra magazines.
    Then go sign up for a couple classes, buy several cases of ammo do the training, practice and repeat. This will do more good than any amount of add on crap. Extended slide release not needed, proper training will teach you that.

My experience has been when a Glock fails it usually has some add of that is causing it. Magazine won't stay in is a grip sleeve that has slid and holding the magazine release in, FTF, FTE is ususlly bad ammo or someone has been monkeying with the springs. Slide won't lock back on an empty magazine is usually someone riding the extended release that they didn't need in the first place.
    I guess you could buy a Glock hat or t-shirt if you feel as though you need to buy something.
    Spend you money on training and and practice ammo. You won't find it in the back of a drawer a couple years from now. If you feel as though you have to tinker with something get a 1911 they always need something done to them. lol

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I picked up G23 Gen 4 last week and I have now put 200 rounds through it. It shoots well, seems reliable, and I'm somewhat accurate with it. I have not tried using the different backstraps yet. It's a little more snappy than I expected and will take just a little more getting used to.

One of the reasons I was excited to buy a Glock was that there are so many options to customize and accessorize it. So does anyone want to suggest any must have accessories or custom/aftermarket pieces or parts that will make my Glock even better or more accurate? Or websites where you like to buy Glock accessories?

Thanks, John

You'd be better off investing in some Night Sights. Especially if you plan on carrying it and using it for home defense.

And even more important, invest in some training. THAT'S what will make YOU more accurate with that Glock. Trust me, investing in training classes helped me out a lot!

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    A lot of people automatically say "replace the sights with night sights," but I have found that the stock "dot in a box" sights aquire very quickly for me, much faster than a three dot setup. I notice it most when shooting steel. Now if there was a night site like that, I might be interested, but for now, mine stays stock.

I just think the factory sights are a little busy.

I know you can flip the rear sight around, but I'd rather just try out different things.

I have trouble shooting 2 eyes open with a rear sight that isn't plain.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    I carry a G23 and they are "snappy". It's not just your gun.
    After 15 years of Glock love, I like extended mag release, extended slide release, grip plug, Trijicon night sights, and a 3.5 lb trigger set up.
    If this is your first Glock, I would suggest attending a gun show where dealers and Glock vendors will have guns set up with all these goodies and you can try them out before you buy. Start small, maybe get an extended slide release or night sights to start.

Before you buy anything, shoot a minimum of 500 rounds through it to break it in.
    Watch the youtube videos and learn how to strip the gun down and put it back together, learn it inside and out.
    Have fun!

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.

Nothing wrong with the sight picture, they are just not durable sights. I think most figure as long as they are replacing them anyway, go with night sights. Myself I prefer plain black unadorned sights.

Airborne33

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 18, 2010
    Colorado SPrings
    Glad you like your pistol. Leave the Glock alone though. It's not a firearm that is build to be modified. I am not a fan of polymer pistols, they don't feel balanced enough in my hands and just about any round feels to snappy to me in a Glock. They are very dependable though, so I can't knock anyone for preferring them. Don't spend money spending on anything other than better sights. If you want a pistol you can mod and make your own, just get a 1911.

AF Gunner

Marksman
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Jul 26, 2011
    North East, Indiana
    Lots of good advice here. I would suggest you spend some money on ammo and shot the hell out of it. Shoot a few thousand rounds and then see if you would like to upgrade it. I would say sights and trigger after that.

Twisterx44

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2011
    The factory glock sights never sat well with me. I also don't understand why somebody would get a handgun without night sights when the majority of defensive handgun use occurs in low light scenarios.

LuckyGunner

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    I would look into a few magazines, a holster, ammo and night sights. All of those will give you all you need to break in your Glock and see if you like it or not.

After a 1,000 rounds or so you'll know what it is you want to change or update.
    Congrats.

Top Bottom