• HodgeStyle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 11, 2018
    Scott County
    Wheelguns are addictive!psyko
    PX1MRky.jpg

OMG. Now that is a beautiful pair of revolvers. I absolutely love them grips on the stainless S&W.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Your right about that. I am already looking in a Ruger SP101 match champion (.357). I want to upgrade after only a short week of owning this wheel gun.

I don't really get the 4.2" barrel on a SP101. Might as well get the GP100. The Wiley Clapp SP101 is really more my idea of what a SP101 should be.

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I don't really get the 4.2" barrel on a SP101. Might as well get the GP100. The Wiley Clapp SP101 is really more my idea of what a SP101 should be.

10oz lighter and the smaller grip are both pretty noticable. I Think the Gp100 is thicker than I would want to carry iwb. I feel 3in suits the sp101 best, but the 4s shoot really well.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Your right about that. I am already looking in a Ruger SP101 match champion (.357). I want to upgrade after only a short week of owning this wheel gun.

1. I went through that in the past 1.5 yrs. with a bevy of guns, upgrading and getting something I liked better: enjoy the journey; I did.

HodgeStyle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 11, 2018
    Scott County
    Gonna be at the range again this weekend. Ill post some pics when i get done. Gonna try alot of DA shooting. Last time did some SA, but DA is kinda tough for me to get used to at the moment. Anybody in the area wanna join, feel free. Im going to Accuracy unlimited in seymour,in tomorrow around lunchtime.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    10oz lighter and the smaller grip are both pretty noticable. I Think the Gp100 is thicker than I would want to carry iwb. I feel 3in suits the sp101 best, but the 4s shoot really well.

Each to their own. I've never had any issue with a GP100 IWB. But, I've also got a IWB for a 6" N-frame that works fine for me. Weight doesn't bother me much. If I wanted to shave ounces, the SP101 wouldn't be where I'd look, though. The LCR lineup for that.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Gonna be at the range again this weekend. Ill post some pics when i get done. Gonna try alot of DA shooting. Last time did some SA, but DA is kinda tough for me to get used to at the moment. Anybody in the area wanna join, feel free. Im going to Accuracy unlimited in seymour,in tomorrow around lunchtime.

Where a lot of folks go wrong is trying to shoot a revolver like a semi-auto. The grip you want is a bit different. Look up the "thumb print on thumb nail" and see if that works for you. Also, some folks will get hung up on where your finger hits the trigger. There's no right answer. You want the gun to line up naturally with your forearm and your wrist to be neutral. Cocking your wrist to the left or right to get a certain amount of finger on the trigger isn't the way to go. It hits wherever it hits, and if that needs to be adjusted for some reason changing the gun's grip is the answer, not cocking your wrist.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Once you start shooting a revolver you will begin to think why would I ever want to shoot a “tupperware gun”. Revolvers rule! Enjoy and get more revolvers.

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Been a wheelgunner almost all my life. About a year ago, I went to a semiauto for EDC. Still love the revolvers and find myself going back to my S&W 60 .357 rather often. Why? Feels like home.

lperagallo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2014
    Westfield
    I got into wheel guns last year and shoot them in IDPA. I have a S&W 686-R, a Ruger GP100 Match Champion and a S&W 617 for Steel. While they are a bit more difficult to reload than a Semi-auto, they shoot nicely. I use the GP100 as my primary match gun and the S&W as a back up. I haven't found the S&W to be reliable enough to be used as my main gun. Have fun with the wheel guns, there aren't enough of them out there in competitions so we need as many wheel gunners as we can get.

Jt22453

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2018
    Greenwood
    I enjoy many different types of guns but wheelguns are special to me. Reminds me of watching Bonanza and other cowboy shows with my dad that he had seen 100 times before. Have an American Western Arms .357 1873 single action that was his that is probably my favorite I have but I have about half a dozen others as well. I enjoyed shooting, tinkering, and just looking at his “ old cowboy guns” and continue to enjoy it. Wish I had more of them, to be honest, but I’m fine with what I have. Always looking, though...

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I got into wheel guns last year and shoot them in IDPA. I have a S&W 686-R, a Ruger GP100 Match Champion and a S&W 617 for Steel. While they are a bit more difficult to reload than a Semi-auto, they shoot nicely. I use the GP100 as my primary match gun and the S&W as a back up. I haven't found the S&W to be reliable enough to be used as my main gun. Have fun with the wheel guns, there aren't enough of them out there in competitions so we need as many wheel gunners as we can get.

That is an interesting comment about the S&W not being reliable enough to compete with. Care to elaborate?

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 25, 2019
    Portage
    Hello
    I did not buy my first wheel gun today, I bought it 37 years ago. If I was to buy another one today it would be the same gun. It is a Smith and Wesson 686 6 inch with the wood grips. It was the first gun I ever bought. I have to pay for it on a layaway 10 dollars a week. I paid a whopping $330 for it brand new. I still love it today like the first day. I have many more wheels guns but the first is the best

Top Bottom