• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cumminspwrd02

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 23, 2009
    Valparaiso
    I got a second Mosin 91/30 about 2 weeks ago from Blythes in Valpo. They had them for $99. I already have one 91/30. The new 91/30 is a 42 Izzy and the top of the fore stock has brass end caps instead of the black painted aluminium ones. I'll post pictures later.

I have my new 91/30 cleaned up and free of cosmoline. I noticed one issue with it. When you chamber a round the bolt is hard when locking it down. I disassembled the bolt and it is free of any cosmo and crud. It's not a big issue, the bolt will close but you need to use a little extra force. My other Izzy 91/30 is very smooth to operate. Is this the sticky bolt issue mosins have?

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Sounds like a nice one. And yes, we want pics!:D

Oops, hit reply too soon! Anyway, the sticky bolt most people get occurs after firing making the bolt very difficult to open. Usually dried cosmo or pitting in the chamber. Yours sounds like it might a couple of things. First, I'd check the extractor recess to see if there is some gunk in it. Another thing to check is the extractor itself. Might be some debris under it, or it might just need a little adjustment.With the bolt out of the rifle see if a round will snap under it without too much force. If it won't you may need to tap it forward a hair to give the rim room to get under it.

Last edited:

cumminspwrd02

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 23, 2009
    Valparaiso
    Sounds like a nice one. And yes, we want pics!:D

Oops, hit reply too soon! Anyway, the sticky bolt most people get occurs after firing making the bolt very difficult to open. Usually dried cosmo or pitting in the chamber. Yours sounds like it might a couple of things. First, I'd check the extractor recess to see if there is some gunk in it. Another thing to check is the extractor itself. Might be some debris under it, or it might just need a little adjustment.With the bolt out of the rifle see if a round will snap under it without too much force. If it won't you may need to tap it forward a hair to give the rim room to get under it.

Thanks for the reply, I'll check out the extractor one night and see if thats my problem.

cumminspwrd02

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 23, 2009
    Valparaiso
    I have two pictures of the new 91/30 that I took with my phone last week after I cleaned it up of the cosmoline. I'll get some better ones later. This was the only one of the ten my local shop had that had the brass on it. I've never seen the brass end caps on the upper handguard before.
    2011-07-17173931.jpg

2011-07-17173912.jpg

ezdubbin97

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2009
    Lafayette
    Looks really nice!! I once heard that brass was used on weapons intended for "show" like parades or presentations...again, just something I "heard" once. Very cool though!

swat1971

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2010
    Martinsville
    That is a really nice Mosin...by the way what kind of prices are you guys paying for ammo in Indiana...I know companies like AIM have great ammo prices but what is it going for in local shops.

cumminspwrd02

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 23, 2009
    Valparaiso
    That is a really nice Mosin...by the way what kind of prices are you guys paying for ammo in Indiana...I know companies like AIM have great ammo prices but what is it going for in local shops.

I bought through AIM before but when I got this mosin I bought some more ammo and it was about $6.99 for 20 rounds of surplus ammo, the copper washed steel casing type. I ended up getting $50 worth. I need to order another spam can soon. My local gun shop was wanting over $100 for a 44 round can. Aim does have good prices.

It do look purty!:yesway:
    Thanks!

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Orion arms has ammo for $5.80 for 20rds, but they suck for spam can prices $110...arrrghgghh! My mosin has brass under paint...Tula arsenal

-Rooster-

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    Midwest
    That looks extremely nice for a Mosin. I need to start looking for a good one myself... Such a fun gun to shoot, given the caliber.

cumminspwrd02

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 23, 2009
    Valparaiso
    That looks extremely nice for a Mosin. I need to start looking for a good one myself... Such a fun gun to shoot, given the caliber.

Thanks, I have been wanting a second mosin for a while and did alot of looking around. Took a while to find one with a stock and metal in good shape along with a good bore.

Johntheplinker, I looked at the bolt on my new 91/30. My problem was with the extractor, I found it was seated too far in its slot. It had a hard time "grabbing" the rim of a round. I ended up getting the extractor to chamber a round smoothly by making a few small adjustments. Thanks for the help!

jason765

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Henry County
    I bought one a few weeks ago @ Dunhams in Anderson same story went through about 10 rifles found one with brass caps and it followed me home
    picture.php

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    That's a nice looking Mosin! I keep tossing around the idea of buying a 91/30...

Oh man, you don't know what you're missing! Where else can you get a full sized rifle shooting a full sized round AND 440 rounds of ammo for it and spend less than $200? Not to mention its a piece of history-not only of the Allied victory over the Nazis in WWII but also ours (the U.S.'s) over the Soviet Union in the Cold War.

Top Bottom