• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've had a 642 for years and I love it. Good shooting and as simple as it gets. For $300 those little guns are a steal and as much as I like other brands there's no comparison when you can get a S&W. Mine loves the Hornady American Hunter hollow points and makes me look like a better shot than I really am.

For a carry gun, my only gripes were that it's slow to reload, and no night sights. Eventually I swapped it out for a shield that eliminated those two issues for me. My 642 still gets carried now and again, but it took a backseat once I got the shield.

219Dave

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2014
    NWI
    I've had a 642 for years and I love it. Good shooting and as simple as it gets. For $300 those little guns are a steal and as much as I like other brands there's no comparison when you can get a S&W. Mine loves the Hornady American Hunter hollow points and makes me look like a better shot than I really am.

For a carry gun, my only gripes were that it's slow to reload, and no night sights. Eventually I swapped it out for a shield that eliminated those two issues for me. My 642 still gets carried now and again, but it took a backseat once I got the shield.

No doubt that the Shield is an all around better carry gun. I have a 43 for that role. I want to get a snubbie as a throw in your front pocket when you run to the store sort of gun.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    No doubt that the Shield is an all around better carry gun. I have a 43 for that role. I want to get a snubbie as a throw in your front pocket when you run to the store sort of gun.

It's a great gun for just that. For me I just throw a shield in my pocket now and go. When it's dress pants and fancy things, then the 642 for just that little bit more of conceilability.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I did get to put a box of shells through the S/W 642 last week (along with the Ruger LC9, Colt Mustang 380 and Ruger GP100 22).
    It was small, and didn't seem any lighter than the Charter Arms 38 I had (sold now), but for the extra few bucks, I had to get the Smith.
    It was accurate enough, just need more practice.
    With house-hunting it interfered with more range time last week and this week we teachers have to get our rooms ready, especially since we changed schools (for our Alternative Ed. program) and I have a room 1/6 the size.
    We don't get paid until tomorrow, but my wife and I went and got rid of 20 boxes today to make room: I'm dead after moving file cabinets and the like (getting old). :laugh:
    I was going to buy a Shield last week, but got too busy and this week will be worse.
    I want one for $250, not $280 or $300 though, since people claimed buying them with rebate for $225-$250.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    125 grain +P JHP fired through the jacket pocket. Or for the ladies, through the purse. Forget the sights on this little gun and learn to point shoot. I have been carrying one for a long time. Don't worry about reloads. You can reload later. After things settle down. If you don't have to give it to responding Officers.

Mine has gotten pretty ugly from right front pocket carry in a DeSantis 02 pocket holster. MY EDC. I carry others in addition, but it is always in my right front or a jacket pocket. My wife knows that if I am ever shot down, she knows it is there in my right front so she can avenge me.

I carried it for 12 years in a left ankle holster. It was only useful thusly when sitting in the squad car. I had my hand on it more than once. I never fired it past my partner at a lady when fireworks were going off in the area. My left ankle now has a pretty good case of tendonitis as a result. Oh well.

For me, the only time it came out, for real, was a Sunday afternoon in the parking lot of an Applebees. Guy was approaching asking for directions. Trouble is, he had a blade in his right hand down along his right leg. He made a 90 degree left turn when he realized he was asking the wrong guy. I called the Police COD who sent a squad that scooped him up across the street in Northcrest shopping Center. I had nachos. I enjoyed them.

www.nostressmike.com calls it the ideal carry gun. His opinion. I don't believe in ideals... I think the ideal is never needing the gun.

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    125 grain +P JHP fired through the jacket pocket. Or for the ladies, through the purse. Forget the sights on this little gun and learn to point shoot. I have been carrying one for a long time. Don't worry about reloads. You can reload later. After things settle down. If you don't have to give it to responding Officers.

Mine has gotten pretty ugly from right front pocket carry in a DeSantis 02 pocket holster. MY EDC. I carry others in addition, but it is always in my right front or a jacket pocket. My wife knows that if I am ever shot down, she knows it is there in my right front so she can avenge me.

I carried it for 12 years in a left ankle holster. It was only useful thusly when sitting in the squad car. I had my hand on it more than once. I never fired it past my partner at a lady when fireworks were going off in the area. My left ankle now has a pretty good case of tendonitis as a result. Oh well.

For me, the only time it came out, for real, was a Sunday afternoon in the parking lot of an Applebees. Guy was approaching asking for directions. Trouble is, he had a blade in his right hand down along his right leg. He made a 90 degree left turn when he realized he was asking the wrong guy. I called the Police COD who sent a squad that scooped him up across the street in Northcrest shopping Center. I had nachos. I enjoyed them.

www.nostressmike.com calls it the ideal carry gun. His opinion. I don't believe in ideals... I think the ideal is never needing the gun.

1. Sounds like feedback from a man who has, "been there, done that."
    2. I looked over the article and did not see a reference to the "perfect carry gun" but I need to go to work so I was in hurry. :dunno:

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Generally speaking, I stay away from all newer ruger designs. The ruger 38 special is innovative and I can't take anything away from that, but for the same $$$ I can get a S&W that's been tested and is tried and true so why take the risk on anything new when the best out there is so readily available and cheap. I'm just not betting my life on a Ruger. As excited as I was about the Mark 4's coming out, I knew I'd have a wait a while till the recalls got worked out before buying one. Just my two cents, but Rugers are fine for plinking or hunting, but not my life or my families.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Does anyone here prefer the LCR or are you all SW guys when it comes to snubbies?

I'd like to get one of the 9mm versions. Then when I take both the G19 and snubbie places, I only have to take one type of ammo. Plus I'd practice more as I reload 9mm, not 38spl. But I haven't convinced myself I "need" one enough as the 642 does just fine....

-rvb

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Yankee Marshal seems to think the LCRs are the bee''s knees for personal protection revolvers. I'm not going to make a comment, because I just don't have enough experience with either platform. I am told by a friend that the LCR has a great trigger, that's all I have on it.

219Dave

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2014
    NWI
    Generally speaking, I stay away from all newer ruger designs. The ruger 38 special is innovative and I can't take anything away from that, but for the same $$$ I can get a S&W that's been tested and is tried and true so why take the risk on anything new when the best out there is so readily available and cheap. I'm just not betting my life on a Ruger. As excited as I was about the Mark 4's coming out, I knew I'd have a wait a while till the recalls got worked out before buying one. Just my two cents, but Rugers are fine for plinking or hunting, but not my life or my families.
    Thanks for your response.

219Dave

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2014
    NWI
    I'd like to get one of the 9mm versions. Then when I take both the G19 and snubbie places, I only have to take one type of ammo. Plus I'd practice more as I reload 9mm, not 38spl. But I haven't convinced myself I "need" one enough as the 642 does just fine....

-rvb
    Thanks for responding. Makes sense to me.

219Dave

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2014
    NWI
    Yankee Marshal seems to think the LCRs are the bee''s knees for personal protection revolvers. I'm not going to make a comment, because I just don't have enough experience with either platform. I am told by a friend that the LCR has a great trigger, that's all I have on it.
    I've read a number of reviews that have favored the lcr trigger of SW. I've only shot the LCR.

thedreamer

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2015
    Delaware County
    I recently bought a Smith and Wesson 442. At the gun shop I tried both the LCR, 442, and Taurus 85. The LCR was lighter than the 442 (to the point it almost felt like a toy lol) and had a pretty good trigger. The 442 had a good trigger while also being pretty light (just not as light as the LCR). The Taurus was heavy and the trigger was gritty so I passed pretty quickly on that.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom