• ...and so much more!
  • MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    My idea of a rifle would be a nice heavy wood stock with a long bull barrel: in 22LR. :dunno:

Are you going to trust a .22 LR during the Zombie Apocalypse ??? Get real, man !
    Get an AR, and you'll be issued a Platinum Man-Card .... guaranteed ! :D

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I enjoy shooting .22lr as much as anyone but I don't think I have ever met anyone with so much dedication to it as doddg. Doddg if you want a great shooting .22 rifle get yourself a CZ 457 training rifle and throw a Nikon bdc scope on it. Dad has one set up like that and it puts 5 rnds in a group you can cover with a quarter at 50yds. We haven't tried shooting it any further yet. Seems when we take out the .22's the ladies always go and burn through the ammo. Last time we went my mom, my wife and daughter burnt through a full brick of Winchester wildcats....somehow I got to do a lot of watching and all the gun cleaning

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I enjoy shooting .22lr as much as anyone but I don't think I have ever met anyone with so much dedication to it as doddg. Doddg if you want a great shooting .22 rifle get yourself a CZ 457 training rifle and throw a Nikon bdc scope on it. Dad has one set up like that and it puts 5 rnds in a group you can cover with a quarter at 50yds. We haven't tried shooting it any further yet. Seems when we take out the .22's the ladies always go and burn through the ammo. Last time we went my mom, my wife and daughter burnt through a full brick of Winchester wildcats....somehow I got to do a lot of watching and all the gun cleaning

And this is a bad thing......:):

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Are you going to trust a .22 LR during the Zombie Apocalypse ??? Get real, man !
    Get an AR, and you'll be issued a Platinum Man-Card .... guaranteed ! :D

True point. My foster Dad had multiple guns for such: I remember a pump shotgun.
    My best friend in the world would always be tuning his expensive hunting rifles and optics.
    I now wish I would have bought some shells and shot his just for bragging rights: he had some nice pieces, and still does.
    Also, the cousins (foster parents also) had freeze-dried foods which I mentioned to the wife just yesterday in preparation of the zombies.

Think 'not so long' bull barrel unless it is going to be a pure benchrest rifle or it will be to nose heavy.

I have read where anything beyond 16" is losing velocity, but I do love the romance of the long barrel.
    I've never really minded the "nose-heavy" gun, but not much experience with rifles.
    It would be purely a "benchrest" rifle.
    By the way, I'm still looking forward to getting with you before the snows come!
    :draw:
    You have stepped it up in the .22LR department and I look forward to your tutorage in that.

Go easy on the platinum level card issue MM.......:):
    He 1st has to keep it or have multiples for Platinum status....:cool:

I knew someone would join in with that comment! Well done! :lmfao:
    By the way, I love reading your comments about your grandkids!
    You are a great example of being a part of their lives.
    One of my biggest regrets in life is mine living 425 miles away.

I enjoy shooting .22lr as much as anyone but I don't think I have ever met anyone with so much dedication to it as doddg. Doddg if you want a great shooting .22 rifle get yourself a CZ 457 training rifle and throw a Nikon bdc scope on it.
    Dad has one set up like that and it puts 5 rnds in a group you can cover with a quarter at 50yds.
    We haven't tried shooting it any further yet. Seems when we take out the .22's the ladies always go and burn through the ammo.
    Last time we went my mom, my wife and daughter burnt through a full brick of Winchester wildcats....somehow I got to do a lot of watching and all the gun cleaning

It's just a matter of experience or lack thereof.
    I just don't want to open too many cans of worms, or in this case: ammo. :laugh:
    I get a focus, and wear it out, then move on.
    Your CZ 457 recommendation is one that a friend has told me about for months, and I'm just holding off with retirement upon me.
    I want to shoot someone's first. The days of me buying and shooting and selling are over.
    I tire of it. Been there, done that, and enjoyed it. Lately, I have a list of guns (including rifles) that I have not bought.
    I have not been perfect, and if the deal is right, will still buy something, but I'm trying to change my "m.o."
    I was just pmming last night with a member here with something to sell that I would like to have, updating something I already have.
    Should I limit myself to the "training" rifle, or was that just an example?
    Before I would buy, I'd run it buy someone who knows "everything .22LR," which is something I've been doing to keep from buying .22LRs rifles that I'd just have to sell and move to the next one.
    Everything I've read says to spend the extra money for the CZ instead of settling for a "lessor" good solid brand, but I suspect that I don't need to spend double what I have in my Ruger 10/22 Mannlicher to achieve a little better accuracy since I won't be doing matches or just general showing off with a rifle.
    I really do love it when others post their accuracy pics though, whether it be handguns or rifles: awesome.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    The 30mm is nice.
    Prefer that size for viewing, compared to the Bushnell TRS25 and Sig Romeo 5.
    On a handgun of size.

Had a PA 3 moa 30mm. Super 14 TC in .223 shot so well, dot was too big.
    Running a 2X EER on the .35 rem. Benched groups are around an inch at 50 yards.
    Like a 2X for hunting, but for bench would rather have more (like a 4X).

Closer to the eye (like on a rifle) the mini red dots like the Romeo 5...........are quite usable.

I like 2 and 1 moa dots.
    For me a 4 moa would be way too big.

Haven't shot speed stuff, but I doubt a 2 moa to be unusable.

Only reddot I have now, is a 1 moa Leupold on an AR15.
    The witch still has her 10/22 TRS25.

Astigmatism, she claims no dot flare.

Think the OP just made a silly purchase to have something to blather about for another month.

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Hookeye
    Closer to the eye (like on a rifle) the mini red dots like the Romeo 5...........are quite usable.

I like 2 and 1 moa dots.
    For me a 4 moa would be way too big.

Haven't shot speed stuff, but I doubt a 2 moa to be unusable.

Only reddot I have now, is a 1 moa Leupold on an AR15.
    The witch still has her 10/22 TRS25.

Astigmatism, she claims no dot flare.

Think the OP just made a silly purchase to have something to blather about for another month.[/QUOTE]

Just a confession, after seeing my error. I'm done with it. :whistle:
    I do like to blather though, don't I? :blahblah:
    I have been trying to be more succinct so as not to irritate people (especially CM :dunno:).
    :ingo: I love this site!

Last edited:

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    True point. My foster Dad had multiple guns for such: I remember a pump shotgun.
    My best friend in the world would always be tuning his expensive hunting rifles and optics.
    I now wish I would have bought some shells and shot his just for bragging rights: he had some nice pieces, and still does.
    Also, the cousins (foster parents also) had freeze-dried foods which I mentioned to the wife just yesterday in preparation of the zombies.

I have read where anything beyond 16" is losing velocity, but I do love the romance of the long barrel.
    I've never really minded the "nose-heavy" gun, but not much experience with rifles.
    It would be purely a "benchrest" rifle.
    By the way, I'm still looking forward to getting with you before the snows come!
    :draw:
    You have stepped it up in the .22LR department and I look forward to your tutorage in that.

I knew someone would join in with that comment! Well done! :lmfao:
    By the way, I love reading your comments about your grandkids!
    You are a great example of being a part of their lives.
    One of my biggest regrets in life is mine living 425 miles away.

It's just a matter of experience or lack thereof.
    I just don't want to open too many cans of worms, or in this case: ammo. :laugh:
    I get a focus, and wear it out, then move on.
    Your CZ 457 recommendation is one that a friend has told me about for months, and I'm just holding off with retirement upon me.
    I want to shoot someone's first. The days of me buying and shooting and selling are over.
    I tire of it. Been there, done that, and enjoyed it. Lately, I have a list of guns (including rifles) that I have not bought.
    I have not been perfect, and if the deal is right, will still buy something, but I'm trying to change my "m.o."
    I was just pmming last night with a member here with something to sell that I would like to have, updating something I already have.
    Should I limit myself to the "training" rifle, or was that just an example?
    Before I would buy, I'd run it buy someone who knows "everything .22LR," which is something I've been doing to keep from buying .22LRs rifles that I'd just have to sell and move to the next one.
    Everything I've read says to spend the extra money for the CZ instead of settling for a "lessor" good solid brand, but I suspect that I don't need to spend double what I have in my Ruger 10/22 Mannlicher to achieve a little better accuracy since I won't be doing matches or just general showing off with a rifle.
    I really do love it when others post their accuracy pics though, whether it be handguns or rifles: awesome.

doddg- let me put it this way man...for a reasonably priced .22 that shoots great, has a beautiful classic wood stock and a smooth tight action trust me you won't be disappointed with the CZ.
    I have always been a lever gun guy when it comes to .22's and I enjoy my Henry and dads Browning lever action, and several years ago I bought my daughter a Mossberg 702 plinkster and it shoots good too...but it doesn't have the feel like a wood stock.
    Personally I think the 1022 is over rated. Sure it is a great gun but I just can't get excited about them...ok I think they are kinda ugly

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    doddg- let me put it this way man...for a reasonably priced .22 that shoots great, has a beautiful classic wood stock and a smooth tight action trust me you won't be disappointed with the CZ.
    I have always been a lever gun guy when it comes to .22's and I enjoy my Henry and dads Browning lever action, and several years ago I bought my daughter a Mossberg 702 plinkster and it shoots good too...but it doesn't have the feel like a wood stock.
    Personally I think the 1022 is over rated. Sure it is a great gun but I just can't get excited about them...ok I think they are kinda ugly

If wanting to tinker and make a good shooter, the 10/22 can be the way to go.
    BTDT and yeah, it's boring.

THE 10/22 that isn't, is the old SP (Sporter).
    They look good and feel good.
    Of course being a 10/22 that's around 50 yrs old.........chances are the bbl sucks.
    But you could have CPC redo one, or just use a newer factory or aftermarket.

Just depends on how much $ you want to spend.

I have had standards, DSP, SP, did a Titan stock build, shot Clark Custom and several builds my buds have done.
    I'll stand by my view, that the old "fingergroove" is the best feeling 10/22. It has the look too.

While others may shoot better, and have other features..............I find them to be nothing but boring.

Having said that, my CZ455 is a yawner too. But it shoots decent and was cheap. So a killing it will go.

Top Bottom