• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • .356luger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    martinsville
    So I have an opportunity to go to the boundary waters in may. I plan on testing my survival skills since I will be packing in light with food and gear. Anyone got anything they think would be good for a review when I get back since I'm starting my prep work for the trip now? It will be about a week of stepping of the grid and living in the wilderness.

Side note dam* you MN for your lack of reciprocity with indiana gun laws!

woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Have been to BWCA twice, Isle Royale NP, Sylvania wilderness area, always in early July-heard frightful stories about the spring/early summer blackflies! Pack headnets, lotsa DEET!

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    So I have an opportunity to go to the boundary waters in may. I plan on testing my survival skills since I will be packing in light with food and gear. Anyone got anything they think would be good for a review when I get back since I'm starting my prep work for the trip now? It will be about a week of stepping of the grid and living in the wilderness.

Side note dam* you MN for your lack of reciprocity with indiana gun laws!
    I was tested in that area more than few times. Often the high temp was 10 below and we pulled our gear in sleds while on skis or snowshoes.

If you are going in May how you deal with, purify and carry water will be a good one to focus on. Don't drink water that has a dead moose or moose **** in it.

Bears & Wolves, furry and human. What will you carry for that and still be legal.

Of course waterproof gear and clothes. Coats, hats, sleeping bags, boots, socks and clothing should be able to deal with continous wet. Dry bags. You will get wet and be wet. Hypothermia will be an issue. It can snow in May. As a kid my first over night survival camp out was not far from there, it was in May, beautiful sunny day AND it snowed like hell that night.

Of course flies can be an issue. Bug dope alone will not save you.

First aid kits

Minimal gear and keeping it light and simple.

Packable fishing gear.

These will all be things you can review.

.356luger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    martinsville
    I was tested in that area more than few times. Often the high temp was 10 below and we pulled our gear in sleds while on skis or snowshoes.

If you are going in May how you deal with, purify and carry water will be a good one to focus on. Don't drink water that has a dead moose or moose **** in it.

Bears & Wolves, furry and human. What will you carry for that and still be legal.

Of course waterproof gear and clothes. Coats, hats, sleeping bags, boots, socks and clothing should be able to deal with continous wet. Dry bags. You will get wet and be wet. Hypothermia will be an issue. It can snow in May. As a kid my first over night survival camp out was not far from there, it was in May, beautiful sunny day AND it snowed like hell that night.

Of course flies can be an issue. Bug dope alone will not save you.

First aid kits

Minimal gear and keeping it light and simple.

Packable fishing gear.

These will all be things you can review.

For the critters I'll be carrying my shot gun though I did find an interesting hole in the MN gun laws here: https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=624.714
    Check Subdivision 9.

I'll put in a review on a water purifier and some storm gear

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    My favorite Nephew has been a guide up there for at least 15 years. He does not carry a firearm. No need, he says. He knows the BWCA like the back of his hand. Parts of it are in Canada. Fast ticket to jail. In Canada.

When he goes deer hunting, he uses an SKS.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Go out to trails end on the gunflint trail out of grand marais. Gull lake is usually a good place to set up a primitive camp as it rarely fills up, no one wants to go that far out unless they go all the way to Sag. The past few years have been really bad with the tornado damage and all the fires but you should still have one heck of a good time. As others have said, leave your guns behind at the camp as you won't be able to tell when you are in the US and when you aren't. The cow moose don't screw around if a calf is nearby either, be warned. I spent several weeks up there each summer from about age 12-25, my father married his second wife at one of the lodges up there....Oh, and you will carry everything you bring so pack liquor, not beer.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    I spent 2 weeks out there. We packed in some food but mostly ate the fish we caught there. Pack in lots of bait. You'll find the fish to be the best food source there. The smallmouth and walleye loved leeches when I was there. A rust colored crankbait was also deadly on the smallmouth and the pike.

Bring sunscreen and rain gear.

Trust me, it's not going to be a SHTF dry run so much as it will be a "why haven't I done this before?" experience.

.356luger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    martinsville
    A return thread this I'll turn pic heavy after I turn in pictures to all involved. Went north of gull lake all the way up the river and back to lake one from little gabbro. I think our loop was roughly 36 miles by straight line water. We endured a canoe flip loss of 4 poles and hypothermic weather coupled with rain and wind. I will add one SHTF skill I started A fire with shaved cedar and flint the last night. Will report in detail in the coming days.

norsk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    I spent 2 weeks out there. We packed in some food but mostly ate the fish we caught there. Pack in lots of bait.

Please, please, please do not pack in ANY bait. Non-native bait fish are starting to threaten native bait fish in many BWCAW lakes. If you must use bait, catch leeches from the shore line.
    How do I know this? I am from MN, have property adjacent to the BWCAW, and have guided in the BWCAW.
    Oh yeah, and having a shotgun in the park is not only completely unnecessary, but will make you look like a complete fool to everyone else there. If you want to have a firearm, a 357/44 revolver would be much more sensible.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    Please, please, please do not pack in ANY bait. Non-native bait fish are starting to threaten native bait fish in many BWCAW lakes. If you must use bait, catch leeches from the shore line.
    How do I know this? I am from MN, have property adjacent to the BWCAW, and have guided in the BWCAW.
    Oh yeah, and having a shotgun in the park is not only completely unnecessary, but will make you look like a complete fool to everyone else there. If you want to have a firearm, a 357/44 revolver would be much more sensible.

Not to be a jerk about it but I went in with Dorothy Molter's nephew and did what he instructed from growing up with her. I respect your experience there but honestly I respect his more.

Last edited:

Tbald14

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2012

I leave for my trip on Monday and our Outfitter told us the same thing about the bait. I also have Family that lives in the Buyck/Orr area (South/West corner of BWCA) and so I spend some time in the bait shops around there. A few shops will NOT sell you bait if you are going in to the BWCA. There view is a few bucks is not worth destroying something so delicate. Besides what fun is it packing in bait? If your going to do the whole roughing it, off grid, out of reach of everyone then catch your own bait. Just my :twocents:

Top Bottom