• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pinhead56

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indianapolis
    ... always in early July-heard frightful stories about the spring/early summer blackflies! Pack headnets, lotsa DEET!

No kidding around when it comes to mosquitos, look into a ThermaCell great if sitting around in camp in calm... they actually WORK!! even in MN on the state bird :rolleyes: ie mosquito

Can get them at WalMart

norsk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    Not to be a jerk about it but I went in with Dorothy Molter's nephew and did what he instructed from growing up with her. I respect your experience there but honestly I respect his more.

I'm sure that was pretty cool to be with him, and probably somewhat of an honor for you. But that doesn't mean he was correct. Dorothy of course knew what she was doing, but how many years ago was that? Times change. IIRC, the MN DNR even had some sort of public ad campaign (similar to the 'don't pack non-local firewood in to your campsite' campaign around here) practically begging people to not bring bait to the BWCAW.
    Your logic would be like me saying "My grandfather sure knew a lot about cars. Now when I change my oil I just dump the old stuff down the storm drain, cause that's what he taught me to do."

Tbald14

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2012
    Did you bring in a canoe or did you make one out of birch bark on site? What is the fun in that?

Unfortunately I had to bring one in. And you are correct it would have been way better if was able to make one. But that is a skill i have yet to learn.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    I'm sure that was pretty cool to be with him, and probably somewhat of an honor for you. But that doesn't mean he was correct. Dorothy of course knew what she was doing, but how many years ago was that? Times change. IIRC, the MN DNR even had some sort of public ad campaign (similar to the 'don't pack non-local firewood in to your campsite' campaign around here) practically begging people to not bring bait to the BWCAW.
    Your logic would be like me saying "My grandfather sure knew a lot about cars. Now when I change my oil I just dump the old stuff down the storm drain, cause that's what he taught me to do."

My logic is I'm going to take the advice of someone who spent 20 years learning cars from his grandfather, who is the most celebrated mechanic in the state, over someone who bought a lot adjacent to his shop. Sorry but life experience has just taught me this. However, this is not really appropriate to continue here. The driving nature behind this debate is a live bait debate over all the BWCA which is more political in nature and really has nothing to do with SHTF. I will be fine with a discussion on how to catch live bait in a SHTF situation. That would be on topic. I can't continue this line of it though as it's not fair to the forum and in reality, no one here could give a rat's heiny about Minnesota politics.

Last edited:

straittactical

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   1
    Dec 16, 2008
    Please, please, please do not pack in ANY bait. Non-native bait fish are starting to threaten native bait fish in many BWCAW lakes. If you must use bait, catch leeches from the shore line.
    How do I know this? I am from MN, have property adjacent to the BWCAW, and have guided in the BWCAW.
    Oh yeah, and having a shotgun in the park is not only completely unnecessary, but will make you look like a complete fool to everyone else there. If you want to have a firearm, a 357/44 revolver would be much more sensible.

to me this is a very true statement and almost common sense. alot of people local here wont let you use minnows in there ponds. junk fish take over. so Norsk i say you are 100% right.
    some people on here just think they know it all.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Didn't read all the posts but I have been to BW many times. Only used live bait on one trip. I caught more fish with artificial bait and had less hassle.

I second the Thermacell. I field tested it for an editor of a magazine. It works well! I would set it by the pit latrine, come back in 10 minutes and I could have sat out there until a bear came to get me and I wouldn't have been bit.

I always traveled light by canoe standards.

BW is my favorite destination to get off the "grid". I love it!:)

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    some people on here just think they know it all.

Nobody can know it all but you can't ask me to discard the first hand real world instruction from someone who learned to fish and live the BWCA from Dorothy Molter for over 20 years because of an online thread, can you?

I'll address this because it does go back to survival. If you know someone in your real life with 20+ years experience in something, take their advice over what you hear in an online forum. I'll ask him when I go back to BWCA if it's ok to buy leeches at the bait shop rather than catch them there and if he says it's ok, I'll listen to him. If not, I'll listen to him.

Last edited:

straittactical

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   1
    Dec 16, 2008
    I think you would be ok with leeches. i would guess he is talking more about minnows that turn out to be junk fish or fish that are not native to the area. just my opinion but i have been wrong in the past ( i think )

Nobody can know it all but you can't ask me to discard the first hand real world instruction from someone who learned to fish and live the BWCA from Dorothy Molter for over 20 years because of an online thread, can you?

I'll address this because it does go back to survival. If you know someone in your real life with 20+ years experience in something, take their advice over what you hear in an online forum. I'll ask him when I go back to BWCA if it's ok to buy leeches at the bait shop rather than catch them there and if he says it's ok, I'll listen to him. If not, I'll listen to him.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    I think you would be ok with leeches. i would guess he is talking more about minnows that turn out to be junk fish or fish that are not native to the area. just my opinion but i have been wrong in the past ( i think )

I said leeches from the beginning. He wasn't talking about just baitfish but all bait. I don't disagree on baitfish. We brought artificials for the smallmouth and pike. The leeches were for the walleye and they were deadly on them. Biggest walleye of my life.

Last edited:

indychad

Marksman
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    May 6, 2009
    Brown Co.
    TS did HTF when I was up in the BWCA. I had an absolutely fantastic week and never saw another person the entire trip. The kicker is when we got out all the planes in the country were grounded and gas lines were around the block. We were in the wildnerness when the Twin Towers went down on 9/11. We had no idea what we walked out into. When I found out I was ready to turn around and go back if I had to. That was before my better half and a son. What a place to hole up.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Here's the thing about the bait....I was born and raised (half) in International Falls, MN. It is illegal to transport ANY LIVE bait across the US/Canaduh border. If you buy your bait on one side, better ice it if you plan on fishing back and forth. It is really stupid, I could actually seine minnows out of a lake but could not take them across to the canaduh side without killing them first to prevent them from contaminating canadiass waters.....The international border and crossing back and forth over it is where the issues with having a gun start too. I really used to enjoy our trips to the gunflint trail...all the way out to trails end every time. We camped primitive but fished modern, ALWAYS had closeup encounters with moose and other wildlife...you never realize just how big a moose is until you come between a cow and her calf with the bull standing about 75ft up the hillside. You also never realize how close 75 ft is until in this situation either!

Last edited:

Spazstick87

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    So I have an opportunity to go to the boundary waters in may. I plan on testing my survival skills since I will be packing in light with food and gear. Anyone got anything they think would be good for a review when I get back since I'm starting my prep work for the trip now? It will be about a week of stepping of the grid and living in the wilderness.

Side note dam* you MN for your lack of reciprocity with indiana gun laws!

i am headed to the boundry waters for 10 days starting on Sunday. Your right excellent time and place to test out survival skills. Not to mention teach a few to some young scouts. Hope your trip went well.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    i am headed to the boundry waters for 10 days starting on Sunday. Your right excellent time and place to test out survival skills. Not to mention teach a few to some young scouts. Hope your trip went well.

Have a great trip! My son did a 10 day solo trip after he and I went together several times.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    I spent two or three months every year up in/near the bwca from the time I was 12 through about 21. LOVE that place. Leave no trace.

I'm jealous.

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    Have been to BWCA twice, Isle Royale NP, Sylvania wilderness area, always in early July-heard frightful stories about the spring/early summer blackflies! Pack headnets, lotsa DEET!

I've seen blue jeans look like black moving corduroy about 90 miles north of Ft. Francis after a July fresh hatch of blackflies .

Top Bottom