• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhslover

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 6, 2012
    Some lakes are crystal clear, others are tea colored but with still good visibility. I always pack a diving mask. See some neat stuff down there that everyone else misses. Plus you can stock your tackle box with the lures you'll find.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Or just put that cardboard back in the water. :D

Northern Pike are the same family of fish as Walleyes and Perch. Pike may taste even better then either, which most consider two of the best tasting fresh water fish on the planet.

I love eating pike.

One thing that the OP should also consider is taking along is a laxative. Eating all that fish and sitting in a canoe for hours.... Just saying. I know countless people who went on a week long canoe trip and never used their toilet paper.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Northern Pike are the same family of fish as Walleyes and Perch. Pike may taste even better then either, which most consider two of the best tasting fresh water fish on the planet.

I love eating pike.

One thing that the OP should also consider is taking along is a laxative. Eating all that fish and sitting in a canoe for hours.... Just saying. I know countless people who went on a week long canoe trip and never used their toilet paper.

The only thing I didn't like about northern pike were the little "floating" Y-bones. Easy enough to filet them from the ribcage, but I don't know of any way to get rid of those Y-bones. Walleye have to be one of the easiest fish to clean/filet in my experience. And walleye cheeks... Yum!

PapaScout

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 30, 2008
    Live in Wilbur, Work in Indy
    Our Boy Scout Troop took a trip up there in the mid-80's. It was a wonderful canoe trip! We were lucky enough to have homemade rootbeer from an elderly lady named Dorothy who lived on an island in one of the lakes.

We started on Moose Lake from Charles L Sommner base I believe it was called. Great memories.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

rhslover

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 6, 2012
    Our Boy Scout Troop took a trip up there in the mid-80's. It was a wonderful canoe trip! We were lucky enough to have homemade rootbeer from an elderly lady named Dorothy who lived on an island in one of the lakes.

We started on Moose Lake from Charles L Sommner base I believe it was called. Great memories.

That would be on Knife Lake. Dorothy died and her cabin was taken down, but you can still see it's remains. If the water is clear in the bay by her island you can see root beer bottles on the bottom.

ibwaltb

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 23, 2018
    Fishers
    • Be prepared to hang your food from tree or bring a bear vault. I like to use the PCT method, as it only requires one branch and can't be brought down easily. https://www.greenbelly.co/pages/how-to-hang-a-bear-bag
    • Bring/rent a lightweight canoe, preferably kevlar. Portages are necessary and the lighter you travel, the better.
    • Pack assuming that your canoe will capsize or sink. Make sure important items can tolerate the water exposure and can float. This includes you (i.e. wear pfd)
    • Keep load in boat low. I use Duluth canvas packs with liners. Low center of gravity helps with stability and makes fishing easier
    • Pack the 10 essentials. https://www.nps.gov/articles/10essentials.htm. I tend to carry redundant items too (gps/compass, fire starter/lighter, knife/bigger knife, map/another map).
    • Wear clothes that dry quickly (e.g. not cotton).
    • Lastly, I suggest you carry a knife, light, compass, map, and fire starter ON YOUR BODY. I have experienced a near drowning on Lake Monroe where we lost virtually everything not attached to our bodies while in a 2 person canoe. Water temperature was around 38 degrees. Had to hike out of the area for help, at night, while suffering from hypothermia. Took a few hours before we found a home and help. Up in the boundary waters, help can be a long way away.

All very good points that I'd follow as well. Here's a couple more:
    1) Wear long sleeve shirts and pants that "breathe" well. Long sleeve shirts with hoods are great to keep flies and mosquitoes off your neck. Take a ball cap or hat that dries fast so when you finish a long portage you can soak it in the water and wear it for some natural AC.
    2) Late September is a great time to visit the BWCA. Yes, it can get cold however the trade off is 'no bugs'. If your trip is flexible, it's a great alternative to the busy summer season.
    3) Bring a good set of rain pants and jacket. They can be used at night if the temp gets too cold and if you bring them, the chance of rain naturally decreases :)
    4) Use live bait. I'm all about artificials, but I've always been more successful catching walleye with live bait in a canoe, easier to drift with...
    5) As indicated earlier, spend the money and upgrade to a kevlar...just..spend...the...money
    6) Good maps are critical wherever you go. Don't skimp on the maps and plan your route by talking with someone in the local area (outfitter). They've got a lot of helpful information that changes from season to season (fire damage, wind-blown areas, low water levels, deceiving portages....)
    7) Go take night paddles. If you get a calm & clear night with no moon, it's a majestic experience. Feels like you're floating through the universe. Just remember where those rocks are setting that are just below the water surface, or take your brown-pants when you go if you don't. :popcorn:

BWCA trips are amazing. Wish you an amazing trip and lots of massive fish.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    That would be on Knife Lake. Dorothy died and her cabin was taken down, but you can still see it's remains. If the water is clear in the bay by her island you can see root beer bottles on the bottom.

I have a bottle.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Update:
    We will be up there from July 12 to 18 or so. I don't fish, but others in the troop may. Our canoes and food are all being supplied by the outfitter, which is somewhat disappointing. I was hoping to see how the scouts put together a menu for this. They just selected off a list.

I will be treating clothing with permethrin - it will keep the mosquitoes, flies and ticks away, so I'll just have to DEET exposed skin.

Still don't have where we are putting in - I'll get details at shakedown this Monday.

sonny

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2020
    Danville
    it is a great area to explore and fish so you will have a fun time. Please make sure you store your food to prevent bears from getting into it and prepare for the portages as they can be physically demanding. Have fun!

sonny

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2020
    Danville
    oh and I forgot to mention to take plenty of bug spray as the mosquitos are really tough on the portages, not nearly as bad around camp (with your camp fire)

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    oh and I forgot to mention to take plenty of bug spray as the mosquitos are really tough on the portages, not nearly as bad around camp (with your camp fire)

Headnets are also pretty nice, to keep fresh air around your nose and mouth. Mosquitoes don’t taste all that bad though.

Just don’t get deet on your net.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

The advice is good, but he's at the end of his trip now, and probably out of radio contact, and supplies...

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Skeeters were not all that bad, especially with the wind we had. We were usually in tents by 9 PM, so we missed the devouring hordes mostly. Sand and deer flies were sometimes a problem, but not black flies. Frequent rain and some thunderstorms, mostly at night. Our youngest was determined to get some canoe sailing in. He knows all the knots and figured out the rigging, and we got some good speed in. Except Thursday, when we had a headwind in both directions. Great time.

110949547_10223269847273263_4782284114856810777_o.jpg

110069585_10223269843073158_7699569979281062027_o.jpg

109424140_10223269848033282_4115441151780516293_o.jpg

109293142_10223269842273138_2198984949360518049_o.jpg

109589510_10223269845433217_2075713659347795412_o.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom