• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FreeLand

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Sep 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Marion County Fish and Game's Bowling Pin/Texas Star Match will be this Saturday, November 27th at 1 PM. Setup will begin at 12:15 PM and we would appreciate the help of a few volunteers. The Safety Meeting (required for new shooters) will be at 12:45 PM to explain the rules. At 1:00 PM, we will begin shooting.

At the moment, the forecast is calling for unseasonably warm weather on Saturday. If it really is in the 50’s we MIGHT shoot bowling pins. So come prepared for both if you shoot something different for stars vs. pins.

REMINDER!
    The MCF&G board has decided that we can no longer leave the gate open during the match. If you are a non-member, you will need to arrive between noon and12:50 PM. At approximately12:50 PM we will close the gate. This is necessary because non-members have been coming onto the property during public matches and shooting without being accompanied by a MCF&G member. Non-members are still welcome and encouraged to shoot this match. However, the public is NOT allowed to use other parts of the range for free and unaccompanied by a MCF&G member.

If there is severe weather, the match may need to be canceled. I will try to send an e-mail and post an announcement in the Shooting Sports section of www.ingunowners.com by 11:00 AM if it is obvious the weather isn’t going to cooperate.

The cost is $3 per bracket for club members and $4 per bracket for non-members. All money goes toward the club and/or making the competition better. Youth (under the age of 18) shoot free with a paid adult.

Bowling Pin Shooting is conducted under a COLD RANGE. That means all guns must be holstered (or bagged) at all times, unloaded, hammer down, with no magazine inserted. You may only handle your gun at the direction of a range officer (RO), or at the designated "safe table". Violation of this or any other safety rule shall result in a match disqualification.

If you have any questions about the match, please read the rules posted at: MCFG - Indy Range Official Website - Shotgun, Pistol, Shooting Range (look under "Programs and Events" > "Bowling Pins") If you are unable to find an answer posted in the rules, please feel free to e-mail me.

If you are willing to help as an RO or help keep score, that would be greatly appreciated.

Hope you can make it Saturday.

~John

BowlingPinShooting@gmail.com

FreeLand

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Sep 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    You guys do PCC on pins? I know you don't for stars.

When we shoot pins, PCC's are definitely welcome. We will add one pin to the table for the carbine and add a second extra pin if it has an optical sight.

Last month I had an idea for how we could allow PCC's to participate in Texas Stars. The idea was to load fewer than 6 rounds per mag when shooting a PCC. We did a test between me shooting a PCC with an optic against someone shooting a handgun. In that heat the PCC was loaded with 3 rounds per mag and it was an easy win for the the PCC against a shooter who routinely makes it to the finals. One reload wasn't enough in my opinion.

So a question for you PCC shooters. Would you enjoy competing with your carbine if we limited you to 2 rounds per mag? That would require two reloads to hit all the targets if you shoot it clean and three or more reloads if you miss.

Thoughts?

longbeard

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    United States
    When we shoot pins, PCC's are definitely welcome. We will add one pin to the table for the carbine and add a second extra pin if it has an optical sight.

Last month I had an idea for how we could allow PCC's to participate in Texas Stars. The idea was to load fewer than 6 rounds per mag when shooting a PCC. We did a test between me shooting a PCC with an optic against someone shooting a handgun. In that heat the PCC was loaded with 3 rounds per mag and it was an easy win for the the PCC against a shooter who routinely makes it to the finals. One reload wasn't enough in my opinion.

So a question for you PCC shooters. Would you enjoy competing with your carbine if we limited you to 2 rounds per mag? That would require two reloads to hit all the targets if you shoot it clean and three or more reloads if you miss.

Thoughts?

I'd try it. Could be a lot of fun!

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    NAH*** thats to cold for pins!

Actually doesnt sound bad!! I'm in for pins!!

browndog2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    happy,
    I shoot 147 gr plated HP over 4.2 gr of Power Pistol.
    If the bullet hits the pin near the center between the lines on this pic, the pin usually falls off the back edge of the table.
    Your results may vary.
    When the pins have been hit alot they get heavy and out of round so they don't roll off the table.

bowlingpin.jpg

Last edited:

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    i meant 147gr, loaded at 3.3gr power, so a little slow. Chrono on high 900fps on ave. So mags are topped off, low ready position, shoot till all pins drop right? Can I start with the hammer cocked, safety off at low ready?

nevermind, reading the rules now.

browndog2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    here's a note from Mr Obvious - its more important to hit the pin center mass than the size of the bullett or how fast its going.

For bowling pins, I think even 147 grain bullets in 9mm would be better loaded a little hotter than 3.3 gr even if its a faster powder like bullseye or titegroup.
    Light loads will definately knock the pin over. It takes a little more umph to send them off the table in one shot.
    Most of us shooing 9mm need more than one shot per pin.
    Now 10mm, 44, and 45 will often do the job with one shot, even when the pins are heavy.

We have a few shooters that shoot their 5 pins off the table with only 5 shots regularly, but most of us take a few more shots to clear a table.

John will make a decision on Saturday about noon if we are going to shoot the bowling pins or the Texas Stars.
    Its mostly a temperature based decision.
    Either way we have fun, with an equal focus on safety.

The Sturgeon General warns bowling pin shooting can be addictive.

browndog2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    So, a cold front is passing through Friday night/Saturday morning.
    Looks like the rain may be done by noon, but the temps may drop too.
    I'm guessing its gonna be Texas Stars, but John will decide.
    I bet he waits until noonish on Saturday to make the call.

DIRTROAD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    I would think even though the temperatures are a little bit warmer the pins would still be too cold to shoot they would probably just splinter

FreeLand

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Sep 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I would think even though the temperatures are a little bit warmer the pins would still be too cold to shoot they would probably just splinter

I had hoped to make it by the range this week to put two cases of pins in the clubhouse so that they would be nice and warm. However the schedule hasn't made that possible. If we do get a cold front tonight then we will be shooting Texas stars tomorrow. Also, if it's raining then we at least will have a little bit of cover if we set the Stars up in one of the bays.

FreeLand

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Sep 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    MATCH is CANCELED.

It's raining. Radar indicates that it will be raining at 1pm. And 3pm. And (you get the idea.)

Hope to see you and better weather in February!

Top Bottom