• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mjpell

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Mooresville
    So my father visits a gun shop in northern Indiana, and the guy tells him that the guns sold in the 'box stores', such as Big R, Wal-Mart, etc, are different than the guns sold in the gun shops. According to this guy, the manufacturers sell a 'cheaper made' model to the 'box stores'. Meaning that the same model gun bought at 2 different places are made differently.

I don't believe it, and think the guy was blowing smoke. Anyone ever hear of such a thing?

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    But doesnt walmart FORCE the manufacturers into making a cheaper product for sale in their stores??

When i worked there in the mid 90's they told their employees on a regular basis that this was the case. During the morning meetings they would show us product after product that were versions made specifically for wal-mart in order to get the price down. These products never appeared to me to be labled any differently than the same model number products sold elsewhere.

Wal-mart moves a crap load of merch, they can get things done just for them.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    I worked at walmart around 96-98, dont remember that at all. Not even in the endless CBL's Not during the retarded clap/stomp thing either...
    I think post Sam Walton walmart placed unrealistic demands on manufacturers, and instead of those manufacturers telling them they couldnt do it, they found ways to sell out their employees, to keep the money rolling in to the people who really mattered.

This is why everything is made in China and Mexico.

Blame the retailer all you want, but it was the manufacturers that sold America out. All to satisfy our lust for something NEW, even if we cant afford it.

When I say "you" Im speaking in broad terms...

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I worked at walmart around 96-98, dont remember that at all. Not even in the endless CBL's Not during the retarded clap/stomp thing either...
    I think post Sam Walton walmart placed unrealistic demands on manufacturers, and instead of those manufacturers telling them they couldnt do it, they found ways to sell out their employees, to keep the money rolling in to the people who really mattered.

Blame the retailer all you want, but it was the manufacturers that sold America out. All to satisfy our lust for something NEW, even if we cant afford it.

I was in the Bloomington Wal-Mart right around the time you worked for them. It usually came after the "squigly" cheer. Give me a "W"! (no thanks).

I haven't shopped there in years. I don't much care for the place.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    I worked at the Greensburg one. I dont care for the people in the place, or the amount of people in the place either. But I dont care for that pretty much anywhere I go.

To answer the OP. I bet there are some guns there, that have been made cheaper, for the "walmart shopper" But its a manufacturer thing, not a walmart thing.

Like the Savage axis series of rifles, is a "cheaper" version of the model 11, and its the only one Ive seen at walmart, but that doesnt mean its only available to big box stores. It just means its the one with the highest profit margin, and profit margin is the ONLY thing big box stores think about, when sourcing their products.

sun

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Connecticut
    I think that the Remington 700 Varmint models that Dick's sells have a lower quality finish than are sold by the gun shops. They have a rough, unpolished blue finish that is prone to rusting. And that may be why they're put on sale for $150- $200 off their regular price during the Black Friday sale. The Dick's Black Friday sales flyer actually states "Dick's Exclusive".
    But I don't believe that's typical of all the guns that the big box stores sell, but just some particular models may be of cheaper quality.

See page 2 of this year's Dick's Black Friday Sale flyer:

Dicks Sporting Goods Black Friday Flyer 2013 Page 2

Last edited:

usmcdjb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    120   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Wabash County
    I recently heard an LGS owner locally tell another customer the same thing when the customer claimed he could find a gun cheaper elsewhere. The reasoning he gave wasn't that it was cheaper quality, but that it was more a case of factory seconds. Something that didn't pass QC was moved through the box stores to keep the price down.

Along the same lines, I have heard an LGS in the past say that ammunition from the box stores were loaded differently - less powder - to save money.

A fool and his money are soon parted!

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    When I was looking for a new shotgun, prices at the LGS were crazy high. It was the Obummer scare fueling stupidness. A friend who worked there took me aside and said he bought a Mossberg 500 at Wally Mart for his nephew. They were like $100.00 cheaper, same gun! (Birch stock, 28 in bbl w/vented rib, adj chokes)
    Bought it, no issues. He earned my future gun purchases by being honest. Picked up a 10-22 Ruger and an LCP pistol next sale. Both from LGS.
    There you go, no difference except $.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    The reason Walmart can offer you a shotgun or whatever cheaper is because they can buy in bulk. How many walmarts are there in this country? If they buy 1000 colt AR's, they get a nice discount, your LGS probably only buys two, three? So they don't get that bulk discount, and they can't afford to only break even or make 10% profit on the rifle if it's put on sale. These numbers are just examples, I don't know how many AR's your LGS has or how much Wally World makes on them, nor do I care. Thank you.

calum

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    N.Central Indiana
    the Colt LE6920 I got at Wal-Mart is the same in every respect as the ones I looked at elsewhere.

I don't care for Wal-Mart too much, either.... but there aren't a lot of options when you live in a town of 10K.

They do price match pretty well.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I worked at the Greensburg one. I dont care for the people in the place, or the amount of people in the place either. But I dont care for that pretty much anywhere I go.

To answer the OP. I bet there are some guns there, that have been made cheaper, for the "walmart shopper" But its a manufacturer thing, not a walmart thing.

Like the Savage axis series of rifles, is a "cheaper" version of the model 11, and its the only one Ive seen at walmart, but that doesnt mean its only available to big box stores. It just means its the one with the highest profit margin, and profit margin is the ONLY thing big box stores think about, when sourcing their products.

Perhaps. I've heard it the other way, where walmart demands that the goods be sold for a maximum price or walmart won't stock them on the shelves. That's a walmart thing to me.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

I would suggest that, just like in our politics, "we" have sold America out. The Walmarts and the manufacturers have just provided what the consumer demanded.

Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru
    Nope, no difference. I managed a family owned sporting goods shop some 15 years ago and actually saw the same vendor that I purchased from, facing pegs and re-ordering at a box-store right after he left my place He never got another order after that. I think Remington is and was the worst on Mom and Pop shops. The box stores would sell 870's cheaper than I could buy them along with ammo.

Top Bottom