• ...and so much more!
  • Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I'm ready to install a hatch into the ceiling of my man cave to get the boxes into the attic. I try to keep them and I'm out of space.

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    I've got all the plastic cases and a couple of cardboard boxes from Rugers. Don't know why I kept the boxes other than for shipping if I had to send them back for repair.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I keep everything from small plastic packages that sling mounts, afg's, sights, etc came in all the way up to rifle cases. Cardboard ones get gently folded if possible. All items I sell or trade come with anything I have for it. Some include instructions or unused parts, pads, hardware, lens cloths, etc. If I don't have a manufacturer's original manual I will print one out and include it. All of these things are easy to do plus I think it speaks to a person's care and handling of firearms and I know it's how I would appreciate receiving a used gun purchase from a private party transaction.

AR does not stand for Armalite Rifle in your case TTP.:):

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Repeating what has been said many times above, keep the boxes.

As a collector I don't mind paying a few dollars more, and with some firearms many dollars more for the box that the firearm came in.

Tell your wife the boxes are like money when if and when you ever to decide to sell the firearm that goes with them. She should understand the dollar side of it. ;)

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Rearranging my closet this weekend. My wife asks why I dont just throw away the boxes that my firearms and assecories came in. What say you in INGO land. I just cant bring myself to throw them out. Am i just a Hoarder or is there value to keeping them? I have no plans to sell any of my firearms

What is your wife willing to do for you if you throw the boxes away? :whistle:

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    Keep boxes and all the goodies. Ran across a W. Germ 226 one day at a LGS. Was driving through and just stopped in... It was in the bottom of the case. Was checking it out and had sort of settled on a $... Ask the dealer if he had the original box... He dug around for a while and found it with original manual, hang tag, extra mag, etc. DEAL!

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    It's just cardboard....WTFO. I don't care, it doesn't go bang...it's just a fire hazard. YMMV. Some people find it valuable, I don't. If I buy a gun from you and it has a box that's just something else I'll have to throw away...throw in some ammo and I'll be more interested.

If I'd saved all that crap I couldn't park a car in my garage; and that would **** the wife off to no end.

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    Look at what old Colt or s&w boxes sell for,you could almost buy a new gun for some of the asking prices. AND They do sell

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    Another vote for not getting rid of boxes, not even the cheap cardboard ones. Same goes for the long guns.

This 19-5 below does a little better in value because of the #'s matching factory box and contents (though I seriously doubt I'd ever sell it). The rubber bands are to keep it closed so it doesn't get any more dog-eared than it is, though it's held up pretty well since it was born in 1987:

NwhJMy4.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I keep everything.
    Boxes, receipts, locks, foam, packing, etc... I take pictures of how it is all packed if new. Especially if the box has the serial number which most do. Sometimes my guns are bought used and the box wasn't with it. So be it. I keep a closet now just to hold the boxes.

I've seen empty boxes for older and rare long guns I have on GB go for 500. bucks for just the box all beat up...... so yes ...I keep them.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I could not count the amount of empty boxes I've watched sell on GunBroker for $35 and more, sometimes MUCH more.
    I keep every box, even though I don't plan to sell.

I did just end up sending a Henry rifle back to the factory for warranty service.
    It was nice to have the original box for the return.
    I was also happy to see they returned the original box to me.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    Another vote for not getting rid of boxes, not even the cheap cardboard ones. Same goes for the long guns.

This 19-5 below does a little better in value because of the #'s matching factory box and contents (though I seriously doubt I'd ever sell it). The rubber bands are to keep it closed so it doesn't get any more dog-eared than it is, though it's held up pretty well since it was born in 1987:

NwhJMy4.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]
    Whoa! That is beautiful!

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I only keep the boxes on stuff that is out of the ordinary.
    Trashed many a 700/870/1100 box.
    Think the only boxes I have left are for the TC Hawken Silver Elite and a Colt Combat Commander.

If I order a new custom recurve (take down) I'll keep the box. Sold my old one w orig packaging.

12many

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    over there

This 19-5 below does a little better in value because of the #'s matching factory box and contents (though I seriously doubt I'd ever sell it). The rubber bands are to keep it closed so it doesn't get ny more dog-eared than it is, though it's held up pretty well since it was born in 1987:

NwhJMy4.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

My FIL bought a big batch of gun items once which included a 20 ga Ithaca featherweight and an old smith and wesson box ( the ones with the metal on the corners) for a model 28. It was mint with ALL the original paperwork in it. I got $100 for it on the Smith & Wesson forum.
    When I buy from individuals I always ask if they have the box, and I keep all boxes. (my FIL kept the Ithaca)

Top Bottom