• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OldHoosier

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2013
    It should be noted that dens within a pack will not be co-ed, troops will not be co-ed, and chartered organizations, who really own the Cub pack or troop, can decide who they allow in, i.e., they can be narrower than BSA allows, but not broader. There are already lots of packs that unofficially have girls in them.

As someone who criticized Reagan for being too liberal and a former Scoutmaster, I am happy to see girls have the opportunity to have the benefit of the program. I would also quit volunteering with the scouts if they made troops co-ed.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    It should be noted that dens within a pack will not be co-ed, troops will not be co-ed, and chartered organizations, who really own the Cub pack or troop, can decide who they allow in, i.e., they can be narrower than BSA allows, but not broader. There are already lots of packs that unofficially have girls in them.

As someone who criticized Reagan for being too liberal and a former Scoutmaster, I am happy to see girls have the opportunity to have the benefit of the program. I would also quit volunteering with the scouts if they made troops co-ed.
    Where did you get your info? Link please?
    so, if one or two girls in an area want to join, they will have they're own troop?

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    The most surreal thing I saw in all this? The Girl Scouts were b***ing that they were not consulted on this change within the BSA. Seriously? Does Kmart deserve a say in what WalMart does to entice more customers away from Kmart? Get real!

Im on the fence. So far the proposed implementation seems somewhat reasonable. Segregation during campouts, etc. But I do see the issue with BOY/GIRL scouts and coloring within the lines.

I would have preferred the Girl Scouts to get off their a**es and taught them REAL skills, but they are too busy selling cookies. :rolleyes: So much for teaching our young ladies ALL the skills they need in life.

On a related note, how in the hell did scouting exist prior to the popcorn and cookies? 30+ years ago, we didnt have these fundraisers yet the organizations existed. Why do we need them now? :dunno:

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I really don't see an issue with girls being in Cub Scouts. Now Boy Scouts (ages 11-18) I see some serious hurdles. To start with they will need to successfully recruit more female leaders. Not just to be committee memebers but leaders who will be committed to going on all outings and meetings. Second they need to figure out (if they don't already have a plan) any additional training the adults need. Plus start training the boys they can no longer just go pee on a tree. And will there be a need for some kind of sensitivity training (boys and adults)?Summer camps will need to build additional shower houses (many camps have too few showers for the number of campers as is). The biggest concern is in boy scouts there are a large amount of te the boys go without direct adult supervision. Such as camporees when troops ot individual patrols move from one activity to another in different parts of camp. Or even more concerning would be summer camp when you have many individual boys going from one merit badge class to another throughout camp often using "short cut" trails and when they basically just check in with leaders at meal times and at night during troop activity. Lets face it teenage kids are sneaky and and do stupid stuff if given opportunity and no supervision.
    IF they have a plan they need to get many more details out there to current troops. I am all for equal opportunity, but as an Eagle Scout and have served as an assistant scoutmaster (a few years), I just see too many obstacles that need to be adressed before implementing changes

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I don't mind girls going on outdoor trips or learning similar life skills as the boys, but if this threatens my ability to get thin mint cookies in any way I can justify pulling my support.

^^^^ I second that.

Really, there's a lot of stuff going on out there that gives a guy an unsettling feeling, but this issue doesn't bother me.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    <redacted comment>

Yes, I can have a dirty mind.... but I know how earnest some of you are about this topic.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Lord Baden Powell shrugs his shoulders and walks away...memories of the siege of Mafeking floating on the horizon.

He came back from the Boer War to see troops of girls joining the ranks of the scouting organization that grew up around his book on Scouting Skills he wrote to help the citified Englishers survive in the bush.

Unfortunately, GS has become a social justice warrior program that includes little in the way of 'scouting'. It's back to the future. Unfortunately, BS has let perverts and sodomites become members and leaders. It's a disgusting turn. I spent a decade as a leader...no more.

Top Bottom