• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spanky_27

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    Columbus
    What does everyone think about carying during a boy scout meeting in a church I like to cary everywhere I go except schools and courts and whatnot but this has nothin 2 do with school but there is a Sunday schoeol class at the church just wanted some thoughts and opinions..and were meeting on a Saturday so........

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Because it's at a church, I'd also be concerned if there was a daycare on scene, something you need to know before you even have a gun in your car on the church property.

Because it's the boy scouts, their policy is no carry whatsoever, firearms only as part of designated activities with a handful of other rules surround, a link was posted on INGO last week I'll see if I can find it; so depending upon your level of attachment to the group it may or may not be worth it.

tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    Are you serious? . . . . . . . A . . GUN? THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok Id carry it just hide it. I carry at church anyway :cool:

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Sports and Activities

Except for (1) law enforcement officers required to carry firearms within their jurisdiction, and (2) circumstances within the scope of the BSA hunting policy statement, firearms should not be in the possession of any person engaged in camping, hiking, backpacking, or any other Scouting activity other than those specifically planned for target shooting under the supervision of a certified firearms instructor. (Among the purposes of this policy is to prohibit adult leaders from bringing firearms on BSA camping and hiking activities or to unit meetings.)
    If you get caught, you may be gone for good, so if you decide to do it understand the risks.

IC 35-47-9-2
    Possession of firearms on school property, at school function, or on school bus; felony
    Sec. 2. A person who possesses a firearm:
    (1) in or on school property;
    (2) in or on property that is being used by a school for a school function; or
    (3) on a school bus;
    commits a Class D felony.

IC 35-41-1-24.3
    "School bus"
    Sec. 24.3. "School bus" means any motor vehicle designed and constructed for the accommodation of more than ten (10) passengers, which is used for the transportation of Indiana school children.
    As added by P.L.296-1987, SEC.3.
    IC 35-41-1-24.7
    "School property"
    Sec. 24.7. "School property" means the following:
    (1) A building or other structure owned or rented by:
    (A) a school corporation;
    (B) an entity that is required to be licensed under IC 12-17.2 or IC 31-27;
    (C) a private school that is not supported and maintained by funds realized from the imposition of a tax on property, income, or sales; or
    (D) a federal, state, local, or nonprofit program or service operated to serve, assist, or otherwise benefit children who are at least three (3) years of age and not yet enrolled in kindergarten, including the following:
    (i) A Head Start program under 42 U.S.C. 9831 et seq.
    (ii) A special education preschool program.
    (iii) A developmental child care program for preschool children.
    (2) The grounds adjacent to and owned or rented in common with a building or other structure described in subdivision (1).
    As added by P.L.296-1987, SEC.4. Amended by P.L.34-1991, SEC.27; P.L.9-1991, SEC.95; P.L.2-1992, SEC.880; P.L.81-1992, SEC.38; P.L.1-1993, SEC.240; P.L.160-1994, SEC.1; P.L.1-2005, SEC.227; P.L.145-2006, SEC.370.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    In the thread from last week, wasn't it discussed that the Girl Scouts did not have a policy on firearms and would not tell someone they couldn't? So the Girl Scouts are more constitutional than the BSA? I was never a Boy Scout, but I'm not really bothered by that either. There are way too many things they do that I disagree with.

ERyanH

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    BSA Rules - No Firearms at meetings or on Scout Property. So leave it in your vehicle. I'm an Assistant Scoutmaster.

dailylc

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Evansville
    If it is legal to carry on the property the meeting is being held, cover up well. I always did. Worst that could happen is, they kick your boy out.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Yes. Boy scouts you can't carry unless you are LEO. But they have shooting sports.
    Girl scouts you can carry. But they rarely have shooting sports.

Kinda funny. If it wasn't so twisted.
    I leave the gun in the car. Bring Xtra knives.

spanky_27

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    Columbus
    I really appreciate all the info as I did not no the BSA law...never even thought about it hence the reason I was asking ... and I thought I new it all lol.

Top Bottom