• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Having the ICs in your quote, are you trying to say that it is illegal to do so, or by gone for good do you mean kicked out by the Scouts?
    No just that the question had been raised about the applicability of the school statues, and saving someone else the time of having to go look it up to read them. I don't know the details on the meeting place, so I figured it being there to be read and let the OP make the decision as he sees fit.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    :laugh:

Ok... Let's elaborate on our thoughts a little okay?

Do you think INGOscouts sounds like a good idea instead of boy scouts? Or do you think that they have the right idea and that "being prepared" isn't all its cracked up to be.

The Boy Scouts of America is a fine organization and as fine as it is, it won't ever make everyone happy. A lot of people dislike the BSA because of their requirement for a scout to be reverent, a lot of people dislike the BSA because they don't allow admitted homosexuals to hold leadership positions within the organization, and apparently some folks dislike them because they don't want their leaders carrying handguns on Scout outings. As a matter of fact, the BSA doesn't even use handguns in their shooting programs, namely the Rifle Merit Badge and the Shotgun Merit Badge.

Explorer Scouts affiliated with law enforcement units do have outings where the firing of handguns may or may not be involved. I do not know the exact wording of the rules the Explorers must operate under.

Since no one is being forced to belong to the Boy Scouts of America, then I guess there is no harm in creating a competing organization with different rules. I would be reluctant to support it before seeing your youth protection policies, and all that stuff but I wouldn't stand in your way to start it. Queer Nation formed an organization called Queer Scouts several years ago...it's gone now as far as I know...seems not that many families were interested in something like that. I guess you won't know until you try.

Give it a try.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I'm not planning on starting an "official" group but that is how I will raise my kids and I would be glad for other families to get together and have meetings and camping trips. I think that official organizations will always be hampered by having to conform to the majority of opinions.

I have nothing against the scouts for what they are but I feel they are unfortunately hampered by having to conform to certain standards.

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    The Boy Scouts of America is a fine organization and as fine as it is, it won't ever make everyone happy. A lot of people dislike the BSA because of their requirement for a scout to be reverent, a lot of people dislike the BSA because they don't allow admitted homosexuals to hold leadership positions within the organization, and apparently some folks dislike them because they don't want their leaders carrying handguns on Scout outings. As a matter of fact, the BSA doesn't even use handguns in their shooting programs, namely the Rifle Merit Badge and the Shotgun Merit Badge.

Explorer Scouts affiliated with law enforcement units do have outings where the firing of handguns may or may not be involved. I do not know the exact wording of the rules the Explorers must operate under.

Since no one is being forced to belong to the Boy Scouts of America, then I guess there is no harm in creating a competing organization with different rules. I would be reluctant to support it before seeing your youth protection policies, and all that stuff but I wouldn't stand in your way to start it. Queer Nation formed an organization called Queer Scouts several years ago...it's gone now as far as I know...seems not that many families were interested in something like that. I guess you won't know until you try.

Give it a try.
    This...was a good post, though I think you may have thought TF was a little more serious about a formal group than he was.

boy scout carry
    Its an excellent idea to combat the 5 year old girl threat.

ralphb72

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    Greens Fork, IN
    So what would you do if you seen someone at the motocross thing comming up that was CCing?

I would watch him for a while but make sure he doesn't see me watching him. Then while he is getting his hot dog and coke, I would walk over to him slowly while keeping my eyes on his hands. Lean over and say quietly,

"Hey bud I'm glad your exercising your rights, but your grip is showing and I can see your gun!"

ERyanH

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    So what would you do if you seen someone at the motocross thing comming up that was CCing?

The "motocross thing" is the Monster Energy AMA Supercross. Not a Scouting event, though Scouts are allowed to go. If someone was CCing and I could see it, then he's doing it wrong and your argument as a whole is invalid.

finn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    I always carry, even at the Boy Scouts meetings. Our troop meets at our church where I'm a member of the security team. We have several folks that carry that aren't on the team but they never oc its always cc while at the meetings. I would discuss it with the troop master and let him know that you are only trying to protect your loved ones and anyone else that may get in harms way.

Top Bottom