• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Aaronhome27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Kendallville
    This is rather erie to me as I canoe that area quite often. For reference here are a few pictures for reference that I snagged from the internet

snake.jpg

snake2.jpg

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    The way that story ends, you wonder if the campground operator is worried about getting sued or if the reporter was playing up the unsafe angle.

Hope the little guy makes it and keeps his leg.

scott delaney

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 25, 2009
    back at the 1st of july i had a rather big one at the edge of my inground pool. my pool is 15' above a creek that runs through my back yard, i tend to see lots of snakes in the creek but not to many up by my pool. makes me think about the yotes and cats coming close to the house i need to carry when ever i step outside

yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    We were always told that there were no rallters north of Brown County. That they could not survive the cold. I guess now we know the truth.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    We were always told that there were no rallters north of Brown County. That they could not survive the cold. I guess now we know the truth.

Who told you that? The massasauga is known to have range in N. Indiana by most of the outdoors folks I know up in that area. I was warned specifically about them years ago when I did some hiking up there.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I hunted the Mongo area for many years with my bird dogs. Never ran across one and I would sure have hated one of the dogs to have found one.

scott delaney

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 25, 2009
    Who told you that? The massasauga is known to have range in N. Indiana by most of the outdoors folks I know up in that area. I was warned specifically about them years ago when I did some hiking up there.
    in fact there is another small timber rattler in northern Indiana too

Aaronhome27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Kendallville
    Venomous, not poisonous. Unless the boy ate the snake.

I noticed that after I posted it. I just copied the headline ..... .:rolleyes: ....... my bad. I was wondering how long it would take till somebody corrected that.

Actually the definition of venom is:

1. A poisonous secretion of an animal, such as a snake, spider, or scorpion, usually transmitted by a bite or sting.
    2. A poison.
    3. Malice; spite: "They dislike making their just criticism of a useful and earnest man an excuse for a general discharge of venom from small-minded opponents" (W.E.B. DuBois).

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    That is scary Hope the little boy heals from it fast! and I live in Michigan and have killed Rattle snakes up here. so they do live in the cold climates

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I noticed that after I posted it. I just copied the headline ..... .:rolleyes: ....... my bad. I was wondering how long it would take till somebody corrected that.

Actually the definition of venom is:

1. A poisonous secretion of an animal, such as a snake, spider, or scorpion, usually transmitted by a bite or sting.
    2. A poison.
    3. Malice; spite: "They dislike making their just criticism of a useful and earnest man an excuse for a general discharge of venom from small-minded opponents" (W.E.B. DuBois).

I didn't say venom wasn't a poison. :) But venomous and poisonous have very distinct and separate meanings in the natural world. One occurs by INJECTION; the other occurs by INGESTION.

windingwinds

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2011
    Miami County, Indiana
    If I remember the right species, there are Northern Timber Rattlesnakes in Allen and surrounding counties. Ft. Wayne's zoo used to have a nice Rattlesnake set-up with info but haven't been there in a few years. Be aware of what you are doing, snakes 99% of the time will avoid you, and the other 1% you can try to avoid them. More dangerous to sit down in your car and drive.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom