• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I read a lot of posts, on several different forums, about people seeing a "no guns" sign at XYZ store and deciding not to shop at the store. The information about the encounter and the name of the store is posted in the forum for all to read and boycot as well if they would like. Often times people write letters to corporate to attempt to change their policies and to let them know that their $$ will be going elsewhere until things change.

For all of you that do this sort of thing, I have a few questions:
    - Does this extend into other beliefs(religious, political, economical, scientific, etc.) that you have?
    - Do you research every store that you go to on the internet before you decide to shop there, about guns or any other issue you feel strongly about? (I think this answer is no because you attempted to shop at a store when you saw the sign that turned you off to the store)

I ask because with a little research you could find out that companies, or the owners/bosses of particular establishments may have the following ties or political beliefs:
    - RNC contributor
    - DNC contributor
    - Hamas contributor
    - Pro-Life
    - Pro-Choice
    - Acorn contributor
    - Global warming
    - Perhaps the owner or CEO had questionable ties and associations in his past, or a criminal record of some sort
    - etc...you get the picture.

For example, a quick internet search about J.C.Penny told me that Allen Questrom, the CHAIRMAN of JC PENNY donated $2,300 to John McCain...therefore democrat leaning people may think twice about shopping at JC Penny.

The point being is that I'm sure most people, with a little research could find some stance or tie that tweaks them off.

How far do you guys extend your efforts to control where your money
    goes?

Do your efforts to stand up for what you believe in extend further than reading the published signage posted for you at the enterance to a store?

Last edited:

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    This is a good example of Macro-Economics vs Micro-Economics(like only buying American Cars). It won't effect the businesses financial abilities, but if it helps you sleep better at night, go for it. I have looked at this a little closer, an I'm over it, everyone has a right to their opinion, I have come to respect that.

chasekerion4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    I think it's naive to even assume that anyone goes to that extent regarding everywhere they shop.

I think it's more of a "pick and choose" based on your most pressing issues/feelings, etc.

Some people feel so strongly about their right to carry that they simply won't shop somewhere that posts signs acknowledging the fact that they don't believe in (or at least allow) 2nd amendment rights.

Some people refuse to shop at Wal-Mart because no matter how much money they save, they don't want to stand in line for 20 minutes to check out, as no matter WHAT Wal-Mart you go to, there's 30 checkout lanes and only 4 cashiers tops. Their time is just more important.

I don't think it's realistic to boycott places as suggested in the OP; People would end up being so limited in where they buy things it would be ridiculous.

It's all about what's important to you.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Some people feel so strongly about their right to carry that they simply won't shop somewhere that posts signs acknowledging the fact that they don't believe in (or at least allow) 2nd amendment rights.
    I am not and have not suggested that anyone boycott a store. I am asking the people who do so for their OC/CC/2A beliefs if they do the same for other reasons, and do they do their own research on the topics they feel strongly about.

For example: Store XYZ contribute to gun control groups...do these same people use their energy to research this since this is the strong belief that they have decided to take a stand for?

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    I is definitely a pick your battles situation. As far a the 2A goes it has been my experience that there is always somewhere to go that won't violate your rights.

Pepsi is another one for me. I used to love Pepsi. It was my soft drink of choice. I could sit down to watch a movie and down a whole 2 liter in the process(real healthy, I know.) Now with their allegiance to Obama and their pro gay donations and ad campaign I prefer to just drink home made tea. While it is difficult to stay away from all pepsi products (I have a bag of frito's on my fridge right now) they don't get a steady diet of my money any more.

We all pick our battles. It is impossible to boycott every company that stands for something we strongly oppose. We just have to make a choice what to fight and what to let slide.

chasekerion4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    I am not and have not suggested that anyone boycott a store. I am asking the people who do so for their OC/CC/2A beliefs if they do the same for other reasons, and do they do their own research on the topics they feel strongly about.

For example: Store XYZ contribute to gun control groups...do these same people use their energy to research this since this is the strong belief that they have decided to take a stand for?

That's what I'm saying. It's not impossible to do that, but it sure would make your life suck, especially considering everywhere people shop.

To do this would be the equivalent of throwing your money down the toilet, as you'd end up boycotting a LOT of places in favor of somewhere else, and in many cases paying a higher price for the same product you could have bought at the store you boycotted.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    A chairman's personal political donations do not always = the company policy...

on most things I choose where to spend my $ based on direct actions the company may be doing...

and if enough people choose to go somewhere else the company might change..

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    That's what I'm saying. It's not impossible to do that, but it sure would make your life suck, especially considering everywhere people shop.

To do this would be the equivalent of throwing your money down the toilet, as you'd end up boycotting a LOT of places in favor of somewhere else, and in many cases paying a higher price for the same product you could have bought at the store you boycotted.
    $>principles in your case. (as is most of ours...we all draw our lines differently)

Crimson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 24, 2008
    Columbus, Indiana
    I know you are trying to get a few answers on why someone may boycott and want to know if they look at other things just as well. When I go into a store that is owned by Indians (not native americans), I dont worry about their religion. As a matter of fact their religion could be the same as mine. But we all try to get along without asking such questions. The point comes up on a pro 2nd board because we believe in the 2nd amendment dearly. Now if that same store said no OC or CC of any kind allowed, I can respect it and just do business elsewhere. That is their right and my right.

We dont always look at every tiny aspect of a store or business. But if you found out a store gave money too a group that was a total afront to your nature, you would probably think twice about shopping there.

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    My boycott of any store may not have any effect on that particular company...
    BUT, it makes ME feel good to know that my money does not support their agenda.
    :patriot:

chasekerion4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    $>principles in your case. (as is most of ours...we all draw our lines differently)

I wouldn't necessarily say that money is GREATER THAN principles.

More that money plays a master role in life, regardless of your principles. You have to choose your battles.

I could never investigate companies and boycott them because of things I don't like. I'd never buy anything. There are things I don't like about every retailer I buy from; so I pick and choose who gets what from me.

As was said here before, a chairman offering up contributions to Obama doesn't mean his company sells products I don't like; it just means I disagree with how he contributes his money. And his company's owner might be a Republican who donated a ton of money to McCain.

If I did that kind of digging into companies and their officers, I'd likely pretty much hate all retailers.

There's always gonna be things you don't like; so I guess I'll just say it again;

You pick your battles individually and decide on whether or not you can live with buying 'X' product from 'Y' store at 'Z' price, based on 'XYZ' factors

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I could never investigate companies and boycott them because of things I don't like. I'd never buy anything. There are things I don't like about every retailer I buy from; so I pick and choose who gets what from me.

I don't believe this to be true. If we were really concerned about who gets our money we could easily research in a couple hours the stores we frequent to determine if they touch any of your hot button issues.

I was questioning if people take it to the next level in any way, or do they just put their foot down when they see a sign posted in public. The next store could not be posted but could put 50% of it's profits towards anti-gun causes. Just something to think about.

Thanks for the responses.

Top Bottom