• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I would have to hear it. Not a wheel bearing issue as it would be a constant.

Yep. I started by replacing ONLY the drums as the pads were decent with at least 50% left. Due to the wife setting the parking brake unexpectedly and leaving the steering wheel tilt down so it obscured the "brake" warning light I warped them a bit by driving a mile or so with them set. (slight pulsing ever since) It took a bit for me to realize as I drove it felt like I was pulling a trailer when I wasnt before I ducked my head to see the light.

Since I had them and had the wheels off I swapped only the drums first. (and hand sanded the old pads to rough them up) REALLY loud brake noise/high speed pulsing noise from the rear so I went ahead and swapped the pads a day later. Noise subsided with the new pads but noise increasing toward the original levels (but only at high speed/high brake) as they heat up the more I drive it.

Could I have a contaminated spot on the drum(s) that I didnt get clean with brake cleaner leading to a slick spot?

saleen4971

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2013
    East Side Indy
    Oh they arent weak... trust me. My kids learned a few new words as I repeatedly tried to put the springs back in unsuccessfully. :laugh:

I know what you mean, lol. Sadly, they still could he weak - your hands aren't made for supporting things that stop a 2 ton vehicle though :-D

Just to give a bit more credit to my posts BTW - been I'm the field for a decade, learned for folks who were in the field for anywhere from w to 4 decades, and currently ASE certified

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I know what you mean, lol. Sadly, they still could he weak - your hands aren't made for supporting things that stop a 2 ton vehicle though :-D

Just to give a bit more credit to my posts BTW - been I'm the field for a decade, learned for folks who were in the field for anywhere from w to 4 decades, and currently ASE certified

No worries. I'm willing to slap in a couple spring kits. they are cheap.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Ok, another update. New rear spring kit. I noticed immediately that the e brake pedal was MUCH firmer, and didnt travel as far. It also seemed to hold the car better. Noise is reduced, but still there. One other oddity that may or may not mean anything. when I took off the drums, each pad had distinct sections. I would say you could almost draw a line across each pad surface every 3 inches. It had alternating sections of clean/dust covered. Am I reading too much into that?

But now I am back to that driver front caliper. (already replaced brake caliper/hose) Wife came home right behind me. As I walked up to say hi... I could smell burning brakes. sure enough, brake temps are 30 degrees hotter on the drivers side. (and no odor from passenger side)

Later, when doing the rear springs I also decided to make sure I didnt have an air bubble on the passenger side that would lead to reduced passenger side brake force so I bled that brake line just in case. After the test drive, no apparent change.

A buddy suggested possibly a bad master cylinder or pressure distributor/balancer thingie? (I dont recall the exact name of the latter)

All I know is my wife is pissed I have spent this much time on it. And Im right behind her.

Could it be now the new caliper is more efficient than the old one on the right which is now causing more pressure on the left? (same symptom, different cause) Or am I reading too much into it?

I need to stick to fixing computers. They are less pesky.

drop45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    My empire of dirt
    You should make it a practice to replace brake parts in pairs ie, left and right side together. As far as the rear brakes go, have the drums machined as it sounds as though they are out of round. Yes even new drums are warped, especially if they are of Chinese ancestry. Also make sure there is no corrosion on the face of the hub and in between the wheel lugs. Also fur future reference, never push in the caliper piston without opening the bleeder screw, all that gunk will find its way into your master cylinder or worse yet, your ABS system.

Top Bottom