• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Was at Beech Grove Firearms today enjoying the range with my 1911 and my .22LR Bolt-Action Marlin... Decided I would pick up a .22LR pistol... Saw they had a Ruger SR22 in the case so I bought it at $329.

Did a field strip and clean and then oiled it and then fired it. I got 5 rounds through the gun before the trigger suddenly failed to reset. I dropped the magazine and cleared the chamber, and did everything I could think of to get the trigger to reset and it simply would not. The trigger stays back when pulled and you can put your finger behind it to push it forward [but this still won't cause it to be able to fire no matter what I do].

The range master as well as a couple other people at BGF tried to check it out/see if they could figure it out and none of us could get the firearm to function.

All of that said, I'm pretty disappointed. I'm fairly certain Ruger will take care of me - but this sort of issue [imho] shouldn't have happened to begin with.

I'm googling/researching to see if I can find if others have had this issue and haven't found any that have. I'm not sure what is wrong with it but it almost feels like there should be a spring to reset the trigger that is either broken or simply disconnected - but I don't know the inner workings of the SR-22 well enough to know...

If anybody has any tips/ideas/suggestions I am all ears as I obviously can't contact Ruger until Monday.

Deet

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    NWI
    A fine 22lr pistol. It eats everything I feed it, and is very accurate. It is an easy gun to clean, and I really like mine. The one thing I hate is that goofy trigger. If you do not insert a magizine into the gun the trigger just flops around like a beached whale. I am sure you are trying to get the trigger to reset with a mag in the gun, if not make sure the mag is fully inserted and locked in place. I guess I am not very helpful, but just making sure you know about the mag and trigger and how they are connected to operate this pistol. Good luck.
    d023.jpg

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Agreed on the mag being inserted, my good friend has one. I seem to remember his doing that once and re removed and re inserted the mag several times and it was back in action.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    From what I've heard, I'm not surprised they couldn't find out what was wrong. Does BGF need a better gunsmith?

A friend of mine had a P89. Went shooting, cleaned it, put it back together and then the slide wouldn't move. He tried everything he could to free it up and then decided to take it to BGF. Within 15 minutes, they broke the frame. Told him "we get these in from time to time, so when we get one, we'll make you a deal". I was pretty disapointed for him.....

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    According to the manual the part that would have broken is not user serviceable and they don't have a ruger smith at BGF.

No refund offered - if they had I would have picked up one of the other .22 LR pistols from the case.

And yes, this was with mag inserted - tried both mags. Made sure they were well seated. It fired 5 fine before it quit working altogether.

I figure ruger will fix it but I would be much happier if I could just swap it for another pistol at BGF. Never had an issue like this but figured it was my problem and not theirs once it was transferred to me.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    According to the manual the part that would have broken is not user serviceable and they don't have a ruger smith at BGF.

No refund offered - if they had I would have picked up one of the other .22 LR pistols from the case.

And yes, this was with mag inserted - tried both mags. Made sure they were well seated. It fired 5 fine before it quit working altogether.

I figure ruger will fix it but I would be much happier if I could just swap it for another pistol at BGF. Never had an issue like this but figured it was my problem and not theirs once it was transferred to me.

That's the problem with a new gun that doesn't work. The GS rarely takes them back.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0

Never had an issue like this but figured it was my problem and not theirs once it was transferred to me.
    If I bought a new car from a dealer and the wheel fell off as I was driving across their lot on my way out I sure wouldn't call a wrecker to have it towed to be fixed.

Integraholic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    At home
    We do not have a gunsmith on staff at BGF. The thing is, even if we did and we opened it up, that voids the warranty. You would then have to pay to replace the parts if something is broken. Ruger should take care of that since it's a brand new gun. Contact them for further assistance.

O'Shark

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Ladoga, IN
    We do not have a gunsmith on staff at BGF. The thing is, even if we did and we opened it up, that voids the warranty. You would then have to pay to replace the parts if something is broken. Ruger should take care of that since it's a brand new gun. Contact them for further assistance.

I guess I don't understand why you couldn't have given the customer a new gun and had the shop send the defective one in for repair. It's a big deal to go in and buy a gun and something like this makes it a memorable event and not in a good way. Ruger does replace defective guns on occasion and both you and the customer would win if they replace it in this case. I'd try like heck to insulate my customer from as much trouble and inconvenience as I possibly could and take care of him/her. :dunno:

Mango

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I guess I don't understand why you couldn't have given the customer a new gun and had the shop send the defective one in for repair. It's a big deal to go in and buy a gun and something like this makes it a memorable event and not in a good way. Ruger does replace defective guns on occasion and both you and the customer would win if they replace it in this case. I'd try like heck to insulate my customer from as much trouble and inconvenience as I possibly could and take care of him/her. :dunno:

Why? The money is already in the drawer.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Hey guys, let's not pile onto BGF, they run an excellent shop with top notch customer service.

I called and spoke with Greg about my issue shortly after updating this post today and made it clear that while I didn't expect him to do anything for me as he has no obligation to do so, asked if I could bring the gun back in and we could perhaps work something out. He said that was fine and to bring it in and he'd be happy to work with me.

Got back to BGF after about 20 minutes [I don't live far] and Greg looked at the firearm, took it to the range and tried to see if he could get it to work / figure out what was wrong with it as well as verifying the problem. The issue seems to be with the magazine disconnect - one of the magazines will work *sometimes* if you slam it home - it will fire maybe 2 to 3 rounds before the trigger goes dead again. The other magazine would not work at all no matter what.

Greg apologized for the issue, said he was going to send it back to Ruger to let them figure it out which I expected. What I didn't expect was him offering to provide me a full refund right then and there. I mentioned on the phone that I was fine taking a $20~30 loss on the gun to trade it in towards something else but I didn't expect to get a full refund.

I told Greg that I did still want a pistol that shoots .22 so I looked at their .22's and decided to go with the M&P-22. One of us misread the price tag [don't remember who] and thought it was $349 ($20 more than the Ruger) but it was $379. Greg then offered to sell it to me at $359 [again, after giving me a full refund on a gun he didn't have to refund]. Needless to say I left paying $32.10 more for the M&P-22 and a very exceedingly happy customer.

I do understand they went out of their way to work with me and to help me out, and they've likely taken a small loss on me today from doing so - but I can say without a doubt they will make that back from me via future purchases and the time I will spend at the range shooting the new 22 as well as my other firearms. They couldn't have handled this any better and I have no issues recommending them to anybody.

Before I even got home I already called several of my friends to let them know what happened and how it was handled.

Now... To get back to the range [Tuesday] and put some rounds through this M&P-22 :).

Last edited:

dwgr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    Avon, IN
    I bought a Ruger P95 from BGF on a Saturday. That night I took it apart and cleaned and oiled it. Put it back together and the safety would not go to safe. Took it back on Sunday and they said I would have to send it to Ruger. They said they would send it but it would cost me. Ruger paid for overnight shipping. It only took a week to get it back. They replaced the firing pin. The shipping was a pain because you have to take it to a UPS customer service center and then you have to have an adult signature in order for UPS to deliver.

O'Shark

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Ladoga, IN
    Hey guys, let's not pile onto BGF, they run an excellent shop with top notch customer service... [Updating this post, will be much longer]

My post is not a "piling on" post. I just want to understand why things are the way they are. I've never been to that shop and for that matter, I don't even know where Beech Grove is (I'm not from around here). I'm in Quality and Reliability for an international company now but I come from a retail supervision background so I am more than curious to hear how this plays out. There may be a perfectly good reason why they won't take the gun back. I'll just :popcorn:

And now I see you got a resolution to your case while I was typing. That's great to hear and I'm glad they stepped up and did the right thing. Now if you can just find some .22 ammo!

Last edited:

aswbmw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    noblesville, in
    I had to send in my SR9C. FTE, FTF and trigger not resetting....was purchased new from LGS they checked it and recleaned it didn't see any issues. Ruger's customer service was great free shipping back and forth and 10 days turnaround. Haven't had a chance to get it back to the range but hoping for the best.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Hey guys, let's not pile onto BGF, they run an excellent shop with top notch customer service.

I called and spoke with Greg about my issue shortly after updating this post today and made it clear that while I didn't expect him to do anything for me as he has no obligation to do so, asked if I could bring the gun back in and we could perhaps work something out. He said that was fine and to bring it in and he'd be happy to work with me.

Got back to BGF after about 20 minutes [I don't live far] and Greg looked at the firearm, took it to the range and tried to see if he could get it to work / figure out what was wrong with it as well as verifying the problem. The issue seems to be with the magazine disconnect - one of the magazines will work *sometimes* if you slam it home - it will fire maybe 2 to 3 rounds before the trigger goes dead again. The other magazine would not work at all no matter what.

Greg apologized for the issue, said he was going to send it back to Ruger to let them figure it out which I expected. What I didn't expect was him offering to provide me a full refund right then and there. I mentioned on the phone that I was fine taking a $20~30 loss on the gun to trade it in towards something else but I didn't expect to get a full refund.

I told Greg that I did still want a pistol that shoots .22 so I looked at their .22's and decided to go with the M&P-22. One of us misread the price tag [don't remember who] and thought it was $349 ($20 more than the Ruger) but it was $379. Greg then offered to sell it to me at $359 [again, after giving me a full refund on a gun he didn't have to refund]. Needless to say I left paying $32.10 more for the M&P-22 and a very exceedingly happy customer.

I do understand they went out of their way to work with me and to help me out, and they've likely taken a small loss on me today from doing so - but I can say without a doubt they will make that back from me via future purchases and the time I will spend at the range shooting the new 22 as well as my other firearms. They couldn't have handled this any better and I have no issues recommending them to anybody.

Before I even got home I already called several of my friends to let them know what happened and how it was handled.

Now... To get back to the range [Tuesday] and put some rounds through this M&P-22 :).
    Now that's great customer service. :+1:

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Greenfield

Sounds like everybody's happy in the end. Thats all that matters. They will have a returning customer, and you get a new gun:yesway:

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Sounds like everybody's happy in the end. Thats all that matters. They will have a returning customer, and you get a new gun:yesway:
    Yep. And I'm surely going to tell anybody I talk to about this experience [although probably a briefer version] as a part of why they should check out BGF next time they're looking for a new gun.

Beyond that, they have an absolutely amazing range facility.

Top Bottom