• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gutpile

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Cats decided to **** in my brass storage bin. Some was primed all was sized....how do I save it? Anybody do stainless pin tumbling? For a reasonable price?

Some of this brass I cannot replace, boxer 7.62x54r 7.62x39. Etc
    Any ideas welcome
    The. gutpile

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Can't help you, but Damn, you never know what your going to find on INGO...

Can you load a primed case in your rifle and see if the primer will fire. I'm curious if Cat **** will turn the primer inert.

gutpile

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    I am washing in hot soapy water and dry them @ 160 in the oven then hopefully find someone i can pay who can stainless pin tumble them.......

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Wouldn't the primers be ruined with the washing? :scratch:

I think I would have just re-tumbled the non-primed brass and count the primed stuff as a loss, unless it was obvious that some of them escaped the pee shower.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I don't understand why you think you have to stainless pin tumble...? Totally pointless.

Since you have washed and dried the brass already, just deprime and reprime before loading.

That is it. No drama. No loss.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    I wonder how cat litter would work as a tumbling media? Hahaha.
    If that happened to me the thread title would probably read, "Cat catastrophe"

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Cats decided to **** in my brass storage bin. Some was primed all was sized....how do I save it? Anybody do stainless pin tumbling? For a reasonable price?

Some of this brass I cannot replace, boxer 7.62x54r 7.62x39. Etc
    Any ideas welcome
    The. gutpile

You don't.
    That cat is done!

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I wonder how cat litter would work as a tumbling media? Hahaha.
    If that happened to me the thread title would probably read, "Cat catastrophe"

A brass seller on Gunbroker.com cleans his brass in a cement mixer using cat litter. When I complained he said I was the only one who ever complained. The crap was packed up solid in the rifle brass and messy. Ended up having to dig the clay out each piece of brass with a small screwdriver, soaking in soapy water, blowing out with air and retumbling in proper media. I'll never by brass that way again.

gutpile

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    It really tarnished the brass.....and my tumbler is done.....real frustrated....... I need a tumbler

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    It really tarnished the brass.....and my tumbler is done.....real frustrated....... I need a tumbler

Urine is very high in ammonia, which has the potential to cause substantial corrosion. This is made worse if the brass was exposed to ammonia for a long period of time.

The oxidation brass gets over time is not particularly detrimental to the integrity of brass cases, but the damage from ammonia absolutely can be. Do some research on what to look for and then use your best judgement. You may well find that some of the brass you're calling "tarnished" is, in fact, ruined.

Rocket

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Whiteland
    And this is why, the only good cat is an outdoor cat. I didn't see where you said how long they had sat cattaminated. But I would deprime and clean again.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    So blame the cat when the owner doesn't keep his components in a closed container?

Purple implied.

Yeah.....put the cat outside. Why change/protect everything from a cat. We had cats and loved them. 1 got unruly and was sent to the great outdoors. I built her a nice shelter and kept her fed. She was much happier out there.

If you have an animal that is in fact acting like an animal....pi$$ing on your stuff......Outside kitty.

Top Bottom