Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Questions for reloaders who use ultra sonics cleaners:

What type/brand of solution do you use?

Any good homemade recipies?

How many cycles/how much brass can you use before replacing the solution?

nucone

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Arkansas in the Ozarks
    I have tried 3 different solutions. The Hornady One-Shot brass cleaner seems to work the best. I use a 10% solution of Simple Green diluted with distilled water to clean 5.7 brass and it works fairly well. The homemade recipe I used was vinegar and dishsoap (don't remember the porportions) but it didn't work well at all.

I batch run all my brass through the solution before disposal and usually consists of at least 10 cycles with 1000-1500+ pieces of brass. After the first cycle, the solution gets so dirty you can't see the brass but it still cleans well just the same. I estimate that I have cleaned over 12000 pieces of brass with just one quart of the Hornady solution (40-1 mix).

Tip; Decap any bottleneck cartridges before cleaning to make the draining easier.

noylj

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2011
    A squirt of Dawn and a teaspoon or two of lemi-Shine or citric acid and HOT water.
    The Lyman, RCBS, and Hornady concentrated cleaners all seem to work well, but so does the above.
    Tip: Deprime all cases before cleaning (using a Lee Universal Depriming Die or equivalent). Otherwise, you are trapping water in the primer pocket and NOT cleaning the primer pocket.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    Questions for reloaders who use ultra sonics cleaners:

What type/brand of solution do you use?

Any good homemade recipies?

How many cycles/how much brass can you use before replacing the solution?

I use distilled water with a little bit of simple green. Works great and is really cheap. Changing it depends on how dirty the brass is.

Rhino12

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    A squirt of Dawn and a teaspoon or two of lemi-Shine or citric acid and HOT water.
    The Lyman, RCBS, and Hornady concentrated cleaners all seem to work well, but so does the above.
    Tip: Deprime all cases before cleaning (using a Lee Universal Depriming Die or equivalent). Otherwise, you are trapping water in the primer pocket and NOT cleaning the primer pocket.

I use the exact same home-made solution that noylj mentioned. It works great on mil-surp .30-06 and .308 cases (after depriming).

-rhino12

Top Bottom