brass cleaning with stainless steel pins anyone do it for profit?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gutpile

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    anyone local do this for a fee or trade? i do have some dirty brass dunno if i want to invest the funds to start this up.......thinking i would rather pay someone to do it. i can take it home to dry it myself.

gutpile

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    if you don't want spend the money, try vinegar and a drop of water softener. soak your brass for few hours, stir it up once in a while.

it can't be cheaper than that.

imp22b

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 6, 2011
    Greensburg, IN
    Last edited:

Newhoosier

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2013
    Kouts
    I pin tumble my brass...but... its a pain. Luckly the ss pins can be picked up with a magnet or I wouldn't do it. With pistol brass I tumble in walnut then size and decap then into the pin tumbler. When draining the water I have to make sure I have a magnet covering the drain as I have a flush up slop sink in the basement. Then I throw the whole load into the media seperator. Then a final rince. Lots of steps for the little pins to go missing. If you don't do a lot of reloading I wouldn't bother pin tumbling. They do look like new but won't make you (or me ) a better shot.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    An easy way to dry the brass is to put the brass in a mesh laundry bag and hang it over the door on your dryer and close the door. I usually make a knot at the top of the bag so it won't slip back in the dryer. Run on medium heat for 40 minutes and your done. Of course, if you have a shoe rack in your dryer you wouldn't need to hang it in the door.

TitusUMMS

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2013
    Fishers
    I'd do it for you if you'd like. Instead of money, I am in desperate need of Lake City 5.56 brass. Perhaps we could work something out?

xM3RC1L3SS1x

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011
    Southeast of Indy
    An easy way to dry the brass is to put the brass in a mesh laundry bag and hang it over the door on your dryer and close the door. I usually make a knot at the top of the bag so it won't slip back in the dryer. Run on medium heat for 40 minutes and your done. Of course, if you have a shoe rack in your dryer you wouldn't need to hang it in the door.

I like this idea!

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    I ran across this tumbler the other day and it looks like a very good viable option. I've read it can do up to 30 lbs total in the 7 liter tumbler. That would be 5 pounds of SS pins and 8 pounds for water which would leave 17 pounds for brass even though I probably wouldn't put that much brass in it. Also nice that it has a timer for up to 3 hours. The inside of the tumbler is coated with 1/4" thick rubber.

Frankford Arsenal Platinum Series Rotary Case Tumbler

Might be something to consider but right now I have a Thumlers Model B which gets the job done.

JRPLANE

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Hagerstown, Indiana
    I have found that if you put 300-500 rounds of decapped brass in a old pillow case, and throw in in the washer with a load of old work clothes. And then right in the dry with the chothes, they come out looking great.

Much cleaner than tumble only.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    I have found that if you put 300-500 rounds of decapped brass in a old pillow case, and throw in in the washer with a load of old work clothes. And then right in the dry with the chothes, they come out looking great.

Much cleaner than tumble only.

The wife may try to hang me if I tried that maneuver in her washer/dryer...

Other than having shiny brass that's easily spotted why spend the money on getting it that clean? My tumbler with dry media gets it satin shiny if I leave it alone for a while and that works just fine for me. Different strokes for different folks I guess...

Top Bottom