• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cherrynutz

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Bremen
    I've loaded a lot of 223 and this is the first ...few times this has happened. I've got a Hornady single stage and using hornady dies. I know I'm lubing enough but not to much. Last week was the first one and today sat down to deprime a couple hundred cases and made it through 50 or so with cases getting stuck. Don't know what to do. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks. Dustin

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    What lube are you using ?

I usually clean out my dies and lightly coat them with CLP.

I use either Lee case lube or Imperial sizing and no troubles. I have had some brass almost get stuck using Hornady One Shot spray.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    If you use Imperial, Lee or RCBS you'll be amazed how smooth they run through the die. I've proven it to myself and have a half can of One shot just taking up space on my shelf.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    I've loaded a lot of 223 and this is the first ...few times this has happened. I've got a Hornady single stage and using hornady dies. I know I'm lubing enough but not to much. Last week was the first one and today sat down to deprime a couple hundred cases and made it through 50 or so with cases getting stuck. Don't know what to do. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks. Dustin

On .223 cases I use synthetic oil leftover from my oil change. No problems with case sticking since. Make sure your dies are clean.

buckhunterbb

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Kimmell
    Are you tumbling brass clean 1st before resizing? When resizing pull handle down easy. When you feel it getting too tight STOP. Pull up handle & remove case & set aside till after you've resized all cases that resize without too much effort. Can go back later & try again on hard to resize cases but be ready to stop again. Are you sure you have the proper shell holder & fits casing properly also?

cherrynutz

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Bremen
    Are you tumbling brass clean 1st before resizing? When resizing pull handle down easy. When you feel it getting too tight STOP. Pull up handle & remove case & set aside till after you've resized all cases that resize without too much effort. Can go back later & try again on hard to resize cases but be ready to stop again. Are you sure you have the proper shell holder & fits casing properly also?

Hornady shell holder #16. The three that have gotten stuck go into the die easy. It coming out that's the problem. I feel it getting stuck and I slowly lower the handle. But it didn't matter it was ripping the rim off the case like it itwasmade of paper

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    It varies with One Shot...

For me, I have FL sized 5K LC-02+04 5.56 cases in this last batch with Hornady One Shot--NO problems...

Second or third FC .223 brass case, I stuck one with One Shot??
    Went back to Imperial Wax+had NO problems with the rest of the FC cases.

For ME, One Shot works well with SOME brass+sticks cases with other brass.

If you apply Imperial Size Wax, LIGHTLY with your fingers, you probably will NEVER stick a case-It just takes longer+is a little sticky on your hands.

I use ONLY Imperial on my .308 cases...Bill.

PS: Wipe the neck/shoulder before size, or you WILL have lube dents with Imperial Size Wax..

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Hornady shell holder #16. The three that have gotten stuck go into the die easy. It coming out that's the problem. I feel it getting stuck and I slowly lower the handle. But it didn't matter it was ripping the rim off the case like it itwasmade of paper

What you're describing sounds like you've got the wrong expander button on your die, or something along those lines. Start eliminating variables.

1) Clean your dies.
    2) Use a different lube.
    3) Make SURE you're using the right die!
    4) Check headstamps.

There is always a good answer, you just have to do some detective work to figure out what it is. When you do (and you will), don't be TOO embarrassed to come back and tell us. It'll be something dumb or simple, but hey...we can all learn from stuff like that. ;)

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Are YOU joking? Whats wrong with oil?

For one thing, used motor oil is full of known carcinogens. Automotive techs use latex gloves to keep it off their skin. At least the smart ones do...

Number two. How do you get it off, and out of, your brass? Motor oil would quickly load up any walnut or corn cob media. Kind of like using kitty litter to soak up that oil spill on your garage floor. Yuck. Also, I imagine it running down the side of the reloader after a few dozen have been run through the sizing die.

Number three. There are many effective and low cost "Case Lubes" formulated for this one function, on the market.

OP, when use any spray lube, I spray the outside liberally and make sure to spray inside the case neck liberally as well. I use one shot and other spray lubes equally. Everytime I miss a spot or don't use enough, I get that creaking sound as a case comes out of the die. The batch of brass immediately gets another liberal spray until they come out smooth with no resistance.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom