• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • brew45

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 13, 2012
    Just curious, but when you guys buy a new pistol, what methods and drills do you use to consider it "carry worthy"?

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    firing line
    I sit on my couch watching TV and dry fire over and over and over and over. I work the action a few extra times between each shot.

I also clear the house. And, sometimes I like to hang upside down blindfolded and take it apart and put it back together again real real fast.

Combsie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Spencerville,IN
    Any and every new carry gun I buy will have a roughly 200 rounds put through her, some of those being the specific defensive ammo that will be loaded in it. I will also run the new carry gun/holster combo dry but cocked for a week or better just to see if there will be in "trigger manipulation" whilst in the holster throughout everyday life.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Just curious, but when you guys buy a new pistol, what methods and drills do you use to consider it "carry worthy"?

I don't have any actual drills, but I watch for the following:

1. Slide locks back after last round without me having to be careful not to ride the slide release;
    2. Slide will return into full battery whether using slide release or overhand release;
    3. I can shoot several rounds in fast succession without any failures;
    4. It shoots defense and range ammo without any problems; and
    5. My accuracy is satisfactory at 7-15 yards.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Does the gun function? If yes then = worthy, if no then = not worthy. You need to determine what encompasses "function". Some people consider a gun "worthy" after 1K rounds without failure, etc, etc, etc. Or you could just sprinkle some holy water on it.

MPD742

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 13, 2014
    Grant County
    What ever you choose to use, you should have confidence in its ability to perform flawlessly. And you should know does it fire without a mag? Hand on the slide? These kind of things could determine when you need to start shooting or what you can do to disengage during a scuffle.

rbane3

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2014
    Richmond
    I sit on my couch watching TV and dry fire over and over and over and over. I work the action a few extra times between each shot.

I also clear the house. And, sometimes I like to hang upside down blindfolded and take it apart and put it back together again real real fast.

download.jpg

"It's been two whole weeks since I killed me a man."

brew45

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 13, 2012
    Haha, I was wondering what movie that was from. "Want me to show you a trick to take your mind off that pain? Gimme your finger..."

I was reading an article about a gun I just purchased and the guy writing it was saying he puts roughly 200 rounds down range with various successions of full mag dumps, doubles, triples, different grains, and of course duty ammo.

level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I don't have any actual drills, but I watch for the following:

1. Slide locks back after last round without me having to be careful not to ride the slide release;
    2. Slide will return into full battery whether using slide release or overhand release;
    3. I can shoot several rounds in fast succession without any failures;
    4. It shoots defense and range ammo without any problems; and
    5. My accuracy is satisfactory at 7-15 yards.
    These are mine, too. I run 500 - 1000 rounds through it, range and defense, and if it's flawless I'm good to go. My Walther PPQ (M1) in 9mm is my current EDC and this thing is smooooooth. 0 problems, eats all ammo, shoots where I point it. Win, win, win.

Slider

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2014
    Brownsburg
    Strap it to your side....Run around the yard doing Tactical Rolls while screaming like a madman........For about an hour. Then you are good to go.

Top Bottom