Breaking: Actor Robin Williams found dead in home.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I dunno. Just rambling tonight. Saw that episode of Louie... now I'm binging a bunch of Robin Williams tributes with a bottle of bourbon... just felt like posting.

I know how you feel brother...Greg Allman's passing did that to me.....Due to my age I can't remember there not being The Allman Brothers in my life...I was probably 12 when he was on Cher's show and I remember thinking even then that this country boy is not going to be able to hang with that lifestyle long...I remember an interview with Cher after Greg left....He has said, "Let's go to a movie...Get away from all of this..."(The Paparazzi were on them 24/7)...Greg got the keys, Cher said she would be right there and they left for the theater...When they got there cameras were everywhere...Greg knew she had called the press to let them know where they were going to be...A little later Greg stood up, grabbed his car keys, said, "I am going to go get a pack of smokes..."

She didn't hear from him for 2 weeks lol...He was "done" as they say...I remember being impressed that he could dump Cher, and not for another woman, but because he did not feed off of fame the way she did...

Anyway when he died we were at the farm...I just got a smart phone and went on INGO and saw where he had passed...Right at dusk I grabbed a bottle of bourbon, a Mason Jar filled with ice, an old fashioned bottled Coca Cola and headed out to my wife's claw foot tub by the barn and the grape arbor...I settled into the tub, poured a tall one, opened the Coke, pulled youtube up on the phone, pulled up "Tied to the Whipping Post" live and tipped my jar to the setting sun....

And got a little tight.....The point being Brother....We deal how we deal and losing someone you have never met but has always been there your whole life is hard...I got to see Greg Allman once in the 80's on his "I'm No Angel Tour".....He always seemed to perform and speak as if the weight of the world was on his shoulders...

This picture is worth a thousand words lol...

Cher-Gregg-Allman.jpg

Last edited:

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I know how you feel brother...Greg Allman's passing did that to me.....Due to my age I can't remember there not being The Allman Brothers in my life...I was probably 12 when he was on Cher's show and I remember thinking even then that this country boy is not going to be able to hang with that lifestyle long...I remember an interview with Cher after Greg left....He has said, "Let's go to a movie...Get away from all of this..."(The Paparazzi were on them 24/7)...Greg got the keys, Cher said she would be right there and they left for the theater...When they got there cameras were everywhere...Greg knew she had called the press to let them know where they were going to be...A little later Greg stood up, grabbed his car keys, said, "I am going to go get a pack of smokes..."

She didn't hear from him for 2 weeks lol...He was "done" as they say...I remember being impressed that he could dump Cher, and not for another woman, but because he did not feed off of fame the way she did...

Anyway when he died we were at the farm...I just got a smart phone and went on INGO and saw where he had passed...Right at dusk I grabbed a bottle of bourbon, a Mason Jar filled with ice, an old fashioned bottled Coca Cola and headed out to my wife's claw foot tub by the barn and the grape arbor...I settled into the tub, poured a tall one, opened the Coke, pulled youtube up on the phone, pulled up "Tied to the Whipping Post" live and tipped my jar to the setting sun....

And got a little tight.....The point being Brother....We deal how we deal and losing someone you have never met but has always been there your whole life is hard...I got to see Greg Allman once in the 80's on his "I'm No Angel Tour".....He always seemed to perform and speak as if the weight of the world was on his shoulders...

This picture is worth a thousand words lol...
    Even though Gregg didn't have a lot to do with it, I've listened to blue sky just about every day since his death. That was some of the last recorded things Duane did, and, somehow, knowing Duane and Gregg are together again, that song always picks me up.

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    Even though Gregg didn't have a lot to do with it, I've listened to blue sky just about every day since his death. That was some of the last recorded things Duane did, and, somehow, knowing Duane and Gregg are together again, that song always picks me up.

Man what could have been. Can you imagine the hot licks and soulful lyrics playing right now?

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    It's odd I keep coming back to this thread. I dunno.

I've been on a weird kick lately watching some old Letterman stuff... like the initial Tonight Show situation with Leno back in the day, Carson, then the more recent Leno/O'Brien situation... then big events in the Late Show, like Dave's 5x bypass surgery... then I go further down the rabbit hole into some special times that Robin Williams came on. He was there on the first episode after the surgery, and on the last episode (and apparently around 50 episodes total!)

There are a number of "comedians" that I'm very fond of. I'm not sure how I'll handle it when people like Letterman, Seinfeld, Steve Martin... when they... pass, I guess. Similar to Williams, Richard Pryor, Dangerfield, Kinison, Rickles, Carson...

Bleh. Here's my... what.. semi-annual post here as I spend another night watching clips.

Last edited:

CPE1704TKS

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2012
    I hate to break it to you but, Gene Wilder died on August 29, 2016 from Alzheimer's...Sorry to ruin your evening.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Phil Hartman was one of the best. Died way before his time. Another death involving drugs, "a victimless crime." :rolleyes:
    So please explain how it is different than dying from any other stupid act?

His death may have emotionally hurt others, but there was no victim in it. He made a choice, and died as a result. No different than if he had gone base jumping off a cliff and his chute failed to open.

jkfletcher

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 12, 2011
    A geographical oddity
    So please explain how it is different than dying from any other stupid act?

His death may have emotionally hurt others, but there was no victim in it. He made a choice, and died as a result. No different than if he had gone base jumping off a cliff and his chute failed to open.

Phil Hartman's druggie wife shot and killed him though...

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Yeah Hartman was another big loss... those legendary performers having their lives cut short can really hit home.

God forbid anything happens to Bill Murray. The world will take a week off for mourning.

I think it has something to do with how "pure" some of these guys are. They just have a passion for the art, make people laugh, make people happy.

Edit: Unrelated note... looks like Pryor's "Live at the Sunset Strip" was taken off YouTube for copyright. Was specifically looking for the "when that fire hits your ass..." bit. Bleh.

Last edited:

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Having a bad night, drowning my sorrows with Robin Williams tributes and appearances.

Lot of deaths happen every year, but this one still hits me

Have a laugh with Williams' bit on Golf

[video=youtube_share;pcnFbCCgTo4]https://youtu.be/pcnFbCCgTo4[/video]

Top Bottom