BREAKING: GLOCK G40 announced. 10mm Hunter.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Marcinko

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2011
    I am not a "Glock" guy but would consider one of the new models to go along with my M&P CORE. I would keep them together and hope that somehow out would pop a Springfield XDm that is Optics ready......

glockednlocked

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 7, 2008
    The one size fits all nature of this project may compete with the m&p c.o.r.e to keep that glock buyer who wants to dip their toe in the red dot game a chance to stay in the glock fold, but at the end of the day the same problems will be there. Shims,plates,whatever will never give the stability or solid trustworthy platform that precision milling can. I put this in the ok range toy category that at the end of the day will either cause you to get a slide milled to truly fit your red dot of choice or just turn you off the whole idea.

RND

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2014
    Westfield
    Anybody else think Glock is making this too difficult? Filling out "crevices" in their lineup - while leaving massive, gaping voids?

"Difficult?"- NOPE
    Gaping voids- NOPE

I would rather have a long side, full size 10mm than a snappy single stack 9. Been there done that got the tee shirt.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    10mm is quite the awesome round. Glad to see Glock bringing out new offerings in that round.
    looks like they will also be a slimmed down slide like the G41.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    You'd need the long slide too, like the one I have from LWD. It appears it's just Glock making a commercial version. I love my G20 longslide, though I'll probably get one of these too.

LOL, "probably"........ The sun will "probably" come up tomorrow. You're definitely going to buy one of these. I may get back in 10mm with these new pistols myself.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I don't think there's much of a market for 10mm. Ammo is high, a little cheaper if you reload. Bear country is about the only place you'd "need" a 10mm. That's a small percentage of the country.

birdo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Lafayette, IN
    Also a cheaper option for those wanting to shoot open classes in certain sports. (Cheaper than the classic 2011 open gun route, I mean)

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I don't think there's much of a market for 10mm. Ammo is high, a little cheaper if you reload. Bear country is about the only place you'd "need" a 10mm. That's a small percentage of the country.

The 10mm round seems to be growing in popularity with several new guns coming out in 2015. When pricing online, the ammo cost is about the same as .45 and it's cheaper to reload than .45 is. Not much cheaper, but a bit. During summer months, I like to carry a G23 in .40, but often carry 10mm in winter months due to the increased amount of clothing a bullet may need to penetrate. But, no matter the time of year, 10mm is a good SD round if carried with quality ammo.

Rocketscientist

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2014
    Valparaiso
    Ok, lemme see if I got this straight. Glock makes this fabulous G42 in .380. Almost immediately, everyone had something to say about it, mostly agitated that it wasn't in 9mm. It's all over the internet. I mean look at any shot show vid from last year! Just about everyone at the Glock booth was all, "Why not 9mm??" "This thing sucks, it's not a 9mm." 9mm! 9mm! 9mm! Right? So tons of people ran out and bought them anyway.

Then, like 9/10ths of the people that bought them (That's a wild guess based on various articles, forums, and classifieds) either say they wish it was a 9mm, or outright sell/trade it for a different 9mm. I've shot the 42 and it's a sweet pistol no doubt, but I too am holding out (as long as I can possibly stand it) for a 9mm version. Is Glock doing the exact opposite of what the masses are praying for? If they don't come out with one I will be extremely upset. I might even cry. Well, maybe not cry, but I will sure pout and be pissed at Glock for a good long time.

Last edited:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.

Yeah, there's always someone who trots this out.

Ammo cost is virtually the same as most others if you reload, and the factory cost is only a tad higher than .45acp. Sure, you can't pick up a box at WalMart on your way to the range, but most gunshops carry it and it had better online availability during the last two shortages than many common calibers.

As far as "need," well, that's subjective. No one "needs" a .45acp or a .40S&W either. Need has nothing to do with it. You can criticize anyone's choice of self defense rounds regardless of what it is, and doing so is usually nothing but mental masturbation.

As far as the market goes: while it is not as hot as the three most common primary autoloader calibers, it's more common than most people think, and every year it is becoming more recognized and is far from disappearing into obscurity like it seemed it would in the early 90s. It's not for everyone for sure, but for those who recognize its capabilities it's a true aficionado round.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    A single stack 9mm does seem like a void in the Glock lineup. I wonder if they are just having issues with the engineering? The Glock website shows the G26 slide with at 30mm and the G42 at 24mm. Maybe they are having issues getting the thing to work with a thinner slide than the G26 has? Glock has a tendency to keep their guns pretty consistent with (until the G42) a slide with of either 30mm or 32.5mm. That allows a small number of holsters to fit a large number of Glocks which helps sell guns. I know that I own more Glocks than I would otherwise if each Glock required a different holster. I would have never bought either of the G19s if I did not already have a good carry rig for my G23. A G21 was an easy choice since I already supported a G20. If the single stack 9mm does not fit the 24mm holsters for the G42, will they sell as many as they would if it did? It cannot use the 30mm slide since that is simply the G26 with a reduced ammo capacity. In fact, I believe they already produce a single stack 9mm if you run the 10 round mags mandated in liberal states, but I digress.

The question is, can Glock built a single stack 9mm based on the 24mm slide of the G42? If they can, then we'll hopefully see one some day. If not, we may be SOL.

On the other hand, maybe Glock has the single stack 9mm design completed and ready to go but are simply waiting for the G42 sales to level off before announcing it. If they announced a single stack 9mm today, I think the G42 sales would plummet. There's more profit in waiting than in killing G42 sales with an early announcement.

Another question is: What delayed the G40 release until this year? Why did it come after the G41 and G42?

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I have an RMR on a gen 4 21. I carry it quite often. Not a fad for me.

Do you run it because of speed, sight issues, enjoyment? I don't think there is anything wrong with an RMR on a pistol for the record, but I don't think the masses use them. Anybody have a statistic on the M&P sales of regular vs core models?

gixer454

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 31, 2011
    Logansport
    A single stack 9mm does seem like a void in the Glock lineup. I wonder if they are just having issues with the engineering? The Glock website shows the G26 slide with at 30mm and the G42 at 24mm. Maybe they are having issues getting the thing to work with a thinner slide than the G26 has? Glock has a tendency to keep their guns pretty consistent with (until the G42) a slide with of either 30mm or 32.5mm. That allows a small number of holsters to fit a large number of Glocks which helps sell guns. I know that I own more Glocks than I would otherwise if each Glock required a different holster. I would have never bought either of the G19s if I did not already have a good carry rig for my G23. A G21 was an easy choice since I already supported a G20. If the single stack 9mm does not fit the 24mm holsters for the G42, will they sell as many as they would if it did? It cannot use the 30mm slide since that is simply the G26 with a reduced ammo capacity. In fact, I believe they already produce a single stack 9mm if you run the 10 round mags mandated in liberal states, but I digress.

The question is, can Glock built a single stack 9mm based on the 24mm slide of the G42? If they can, then we'll hopefully see one some day. If not, we may be SOL.

On the other hand, maybe Glock has the single stack 9mm design completed and ready to go but are simply waiting for the G42 sales to level off before announcing it. If they announced a single stack 9mm today, I think the G42 sales would plummet. There's more profit in waiting than in killing G42 sales with an early announcement.

Another question is: What delayed the G40 release until this year? Why did it come after the G41 and G42?

I couldn't agree more with this line of thinking, I believe there is a business plan in place within the walls of the corporation that we are not privileged to see. Releasing a single stack 9mm right after the 380 could be bad move. I myself will be in line to buy both the G40 and a single stack 9mm if and when it comes out.

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    I will be the first in line to buy the G40. I thought nothing would beat the G20 (except for 3rd Gen Smith & Wessons, of course) but this will certainly do it. Any dealers out there actually heard from Glock on these yet?

And to the "Who needs a 10mm...." and "10mm ammo is hard to find....." blah blah blah, go to Underwood Ammo - 10mm Auto and compare price and performance to your favored PD ammo that is not 10mm.

Top Bottom