BREAKING: GLOCK G40 announced. 10mm Hunter.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I should have used the term practicality instead of need. If someone wants to carry a s&w 500 mag for PD then knock yourself out. Carry whatever you want cause 'Merica. It's funny that 80% of gun owners scream 40 sucks 40 sucks because of snappy recoil and blah blah, but a full house 10mm now cool right there. Lol

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    I should have used the term practicality instead of need. If someone wants to carry a s&w 500 mag for PD then knock yourself out. Carry whatever you want cause 'Merica. It's funny that 80% of gun owners scream 40 sucks 40 sucks because of snappy recoil and blah blah, but a full house 10mm now cool right there. Lol
    You don't get 16 rounds with the S&W500 though! :laugh:

Seriously though, there is a small but devout group of 10mm followers that love the round for its performance. A G20 with full house loads doesn't really kick much harder than a G23 (to me) but adds several hundred fps to the exact same projectiles. A 3rd Gen S&W 1006 or 1066 (all stainless frame and slide) kicks less than a G23 (to me). I don't carry a 10mm all year because it is heavier and more bulky than a G19 or G26 that I carry in the summer months. Well, the G20 anyway...the S&W models are slim like a 1911. But in winter months where heavy sweatshirts and leather coats are common? A 10mm all the way for me. Think of the .40 vs 10mm vs .380 vs 9mm.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.

The recoil of many .40s&w guns is harsher than some 10mms, but I've never said .40 sucks, I just question why I would want it when I can have 10mm 8-). The 10mm is a very controllable round, anyone who shoots a .45acp will have no problems with it.

Regardless, during most threads on 10mm there's often the folk who can't resist saying why they wouldn't want one and continuing to spread the whole cost and availability chestnuts as their justification, which, as I pointed out, really isn't a factor unless one only buys ammo from Walmart, and I really have little use for those folks.

GlockRock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Do you run it because of speed, sight issues, enjoyment? I don't think there is anything wrong with an RMR on a pistol for the record, but I don't think the masses use them. Anybody have a statistic on the M&P sales of regular vs core models?
    I like the sight and enjoy shooting it. I find myself more accurate with it as well.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    It doesn't look quite as nice as my own 10mm here:

Smith__Wesson_1006.jpg

But I'm all for anything that will enhance the popularity of this excellent cartridge.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    Blasphemous question.

Leave it to Glock to give us what we don't want.... :dunno:

This sums it up .

I was all excited that new models were coming out just to be let down by the craptastic offerings .

What the hell are the Glock designers smoking ? Seems like they're trying to see how FEW pistols they can sell .

They need to quit dickinaround and come out with a carbine already but NO , let's introduce niche models .

Hey Glock newsflash , the pistol red dot is a passing fad and the 10mm is just as popular . Might as well made them in 6.8 .

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    S&W makes an increasingly popular line of pistols that are built to take red dots. Additional companies are coming out with 10mm pistols. Glock isn't leading the way in this effort, they're playing catch up. They haven't changed their line up hardly at all since the gen1 pistols besides a few minor cosmetic changes. All they do is add products to their line. Innovation has left the building, but that doesn't mean that they don't still put out a heck of a product. Ultimately, 20 years from now we'll be talking about the glory days of glock and speculating on what happened to make them become irrelevant.

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    This sums it up .

I was all excited that new models were coming out just to be let down by the craptastic offerings .

What the hell are the Glock designers smoking ? Seems like they're trying to see how FEW pistols they can sell .

They need to quit dickinaround and come out with a carbine already but NO , let's introduce niche models .

Hey Glock newsflash , the pistol red dot is a passing fad and the 10mm is just as popular . Might as well made them in 6.8 .
    Hey, I've been wanting a 10mm Glock carbine for a long time! LOL

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    S&W makes an increasingly popular line of pistols that are built to take red dots. Additional companies are coming out with 10mm pistols. Glock isn't leading the way in this effort, they're playing catch up. They haven't changed their line up hardly at all since the gen1 pistols besides a few minor cosmetic changes. All they do is add products to their line. Innovation has left the building, but that doesn't mean that they don't still put out a heck of a product. Ultimately, 20 years from now we'll be talking about the glory days of glock and speculating on what happened to make them become irrelevant.
    I dont believe they will ever be irrelevant considering they supply the majority of police departments in the country.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I dont believe they will ever be irrelevant considering they supply the majority of police departments in the country.

I think glock will still be around, but somebody will do to glock, what they did to the 1911. At some point something better will come around and I don't see that coming in house from glock.

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    I am amazed that they haven't tapped into the pistol caliber carbine market yet. Heck, if Hi-Point can be successful at it, can't Glock do it too?

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I am amazed that they haven't tapped into the pistol caliber carbine market yet. Heck, if Hi-Point can be successful at it, can't Glock do it too?

People have been asking that for about 20 years now. Instead, glock has done little but slightly modify existing designs to accommodate a difference size or caliber of the same thing. They've done little to nothing to reinvent themselves while having a huge target on their back in the market as the product to beat. Shot show is coming up and maybe they'll surprise us, but I doubt it.

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    This has been on my 10mm acquire list for a while now:
    MechTech - Glock

FWIW, my 10mm Olympic Arms AR upper is AWESOME.

They had me until I read the CYA disclaimer:
    "NOTE: We have been made aware of a number of overpressure issues regarding Underwood ammunition and DO NOT recommend it's use in our CCU."
    :tantrum:
    I guess I could settle for Corbon since they claim a velocity about a hundred fps faster than reality...

Have you ran the AR upper through a chrono to compare with pistol velocities?

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    They had me until I read the CYA disclaimer:
    "NOTE: We have been made aware of a number of overpressure issues regarding Underwood ammunition and DO NOT recommend it's use in our CCU."
    :tantrum:
    I guess I could settle for Corbon since they claim a velocity about a hundred fps faster than reality...

Have you ran the AR upper through a chrono to compare with pistol velocities?

Yep. I posted it on another group. I sorta stopped posting scientific stuff here because it seems like no one really cared about data I post and I've been told that I don't bring any value to the site. I compared:

G29 3.8"
    G20 4.6"
    G20 longslide with LWD 6.6"
    G20 with LWD 9"
    Olympic Arms 10mm carbine upper, 16"

The powder: HS-6, 8.5gr.
    The primer: Wolf LPP

Bullets: Hornady XTP 200gr, Ranier Plated 180gr.
    Brass: multiple fired NNY with little crimp.

Methodology:
    The guns were fired from a standing position with the Chrony F1 16' from the muzzle. Each bullet weight was shot three times through each gun. The results were averaged. This is not a very accurate statistical sample but enough for a first order approximation.

Results in ascending order of bbl length, weight <fps>:

180gr <0924> 200gr <0967>
    180gr <0968> 200gr <1006>
    180gr <1079> 200gr <1117>
    180gr <1179> 200gr <1136>
    180gr <1245> 200gr <1218>

From shortest to longest barrel:

180gr <321> 200gr <251>

Conclusions:

The 180gr behaved in a classic curve. The 200gr showed the most benefit from the shorter barrels with this powder.

If I get a wild hair I might do this again with other powders.

Top Bottom