• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • murph

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    Lawrence County
    I have a Ruger 10/22 that I love and want to take great care of. I have a good friend that was in the Army but doesn't know much about civilian guns and wants to attempt to take it apart. Naturally it scares me half to death because it's like performing an operation on my child (in my mind anyway) lol. So I've watched a few videos on the disassembly and reassembly of the 10/22. At the end the guy talks about breaking in the barrel by firing 200 rounds through it. There is regular cleaning throughout the firing.

What I want to know is, what is the importance of this? Does it make the gun more accurate? I tried to look this up on the internet but it's pretty much everyone promoting their products.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    From what I've seen/understand this is an issue for center fire rifles, .22 ammo is too soft to smooth down rough spots in a barrel. There's no concensus that it's necessary either.
    As for .22s, I've met some knowledgeable people who say that IF you're using high end match ammo, it's so well lubed that it will "lap" the barrel and accomplish the same thing that "breaking it in" is supposed to. They won't even clean the barrel with a brass brush until the competition season is over.
    One other thing about cleaning a 10/22, you would do well to get a bore-snake so you can clean it from the chamber rather than risk scrapeing the crown.

Nice choice in a rifle!

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    In my opinion there is really no need to have a break in schedule for a .22LR since you are firing lead bullets as opposed to copper jacketed ones. The lead being softer really doesn't burnish the barrel the way a copper round would.

As for cleaning, I never put a firearm that I just used into the safe that has not been cleaned first.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    no need to break in a .22

I dont even belive in break in on any centerfires, no matter how nice. shoot til accuracy degrades, clean, shoot some more

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Break in a .22lr..................NAH!

To break in a 10/22, go to the range with a brick of ammo. When you run out, go get another brick. After the 3rd or 4th brick, pull a Boresnake through it if you feel like it. About that time you may want to go over to rimfirecentral.com and check out the instructions for disassembling the reciever for a little cleaning. It is a blow-back action and gets a little residue in it now and then but it's VERY SIMPLE. The magazine may also need to be cleaned and you'll find those directions on rimfirecentral also.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    no need to break in a .22

I dont even belive in break in on any centerfires, no matter how nice. shoot til accuracy degrades, clean, shoot some more
    This^^^

I don't feel that "barrel break-in" is a necessary or beneficial procedure for rimfire or centerfire rounds.

I didn't break-in my R700 barrel when I got it and it shoots fine.

It just shot a 1 3/4" group at 500 yards a couple weeks ago. That's after several thousand rounds through the barrel that was never put through any sort of "break-in" procedure.

murph

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    Lawrence County
    Thank you all for your thoughts! I've been having issues with it misfiring so I thought maybe it was just because I hadn't broken it in. I've had the gun for a while..well it was the anniversary edition..and I don't think i've even put a brick of ammo through it.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Misfires are common with rimfire ammo. Especially the really cheap stuff.

You might try some CCI, they tend to have their act together when it comes to not having misfires. IOW don't blame the rifle yet.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    This^^^

I don't feel that "barrel break-in" is a necessary or beneficial procedure for rimfire or centerfire rounds.

I didn't break-in my R700 barrel when I got it and it shoots fine.

It just shot a 1 3/4" group at 500 yards a couple weeks ago. That's after several thousand rounds through the barrel that was never put through any sort of "break-in" procedure.

Not sure, but I think several thousand rounds would qualify as a "break-in" procedure... ;) :):

Top Bottom