High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    Isn't this about 6 weeks early?
    Yes, April 19, 1775

Although to be fair the casualty totals seem to be off.

Captain Parker had gathered his militia company of approximately 77 men on Lexington Green. Even though he ordered their dispersal to prevent a confrontation the British regulars (the British were not national guard members, they were regular British army troops of the King's forces) fired upon them. Those first eight Americans killed in action would be revenged at nearly 10 to 1 over the next hours as the British were Harried all the way back to charlestown.

The most common sources list British casualties as 273; 73 killed 174 wounded 26 missing.

Colonial casualties totaled 96; 49 killed 41 wounded and five missing. This of course was over the full 24 plus hour battle from Lexington and Concord and during the British retreat along battle road to Charlestown.

INPatriot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    God's Country
    April 19th used to be known as Patriots Day. Most calenders had it marked. I doubt it is on calenders nowadays.
    Unfortunately, I agree with you 100%

Patriots Day has reverted back to being a regional New England holiday, much like Thanksgiving until Lincoln proclaimed a national day of Thanksgiving during the Civil War.

Patriots Day is celebrated the third Monday in April when the Boston Marathon is held. As I type this, I don't recall much remembrance given for the 10th Anniversary of the Boston Marathon Bombing - of course, the media would only remind the world if the Tsarnaevs were Christian.

Top Bottom