BREAKING: US and Allies hit ISIS targets in Syria. Bombing campaign begins.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    I'm not saying it's simplistic at all. I said "it's not unreasonable to think.... " specifically because the one thing I'm sure about is that none of us really have any idea what is going on amongst different groups and what portion of the truth our government is telling us. It's hard enough to get an accurate news story reported on something that happens down the street. I don't believe we get even close to an accurate picture of what is happening in a culture very different from ours, and how we affect it.

The idea that we are going to just bomb our way out of it without creating bigger problems seems rather optimistic.

Such as? Syria and Iraq are both already hellholes that would be better off with Assad in charge of all of Syria and Saddam in control of Iraq. That ship has sailed. It appears that many of these ISIS "fighters" are cowardly thugs who have come from all over the world to be violent animals. That is why many of them have returned home. Seeing JDAMs dropped on their buddies won't help the cause of ISIS either. We could take out ISIS, but power vacuums in Iraq and Syria will be as wide open as they were with and before ISIS. So no real change, only thing we risk is losing aircraft and crew. I certainly don't want to lose any of our pilots, however I don't feel any sympathy for these ISIS vermin. Maybe just maybe, it will teach them that facing a western military is whole different animal than the Syrian and Iraqi armies.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    ByP1axYCQAABh6R.png:large

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    You say say that as though you think there is a difference of any significance between the two wings of the party of the state.

Well so far, everything Romney said was right, and everything the Left said has been wrong/a lie. Sort of wish people would see that.

Also..

Bush: "We're going fight Islamists for years."
    Media: "BOOOOOO!"
    Obama: "We're going to fight Islamists for Decades."
    Media: "YAY! *swoon*"

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    You say that as though you think there is a difference of any significance between the two wings of the party of the state.

Lemme see,

Democrats, bombing Syria.

Republicans, did not bomb Syria.

Libertarians, want to invade Middle East with deer hunters from Terre Haute and "take care of these guys".

Funny, I see a difference.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    1977079_10153196494694745_2461586176858191487_n.jpg

Just saying....The president is under no obligation to even return a salute.

ARFCOM is all worked up about it too...

That said...if all I had were pictures to compare:

Top = I don't give a crap so I'm giving a 1/2 arsed salute because that's tradition

Bottom = Crap I'm holding my dog with what appears to be a pretty stiff head wind, but really need to salute so I'm going to at least try and make some eye contact to show my sincerity.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    ARFCOM is all worked up about it too...

That said...if all I had were pictures to compare:

Top = I don't give a crap so I'm giving a 1/2 arsed salute because that's tradition

Bottom = Crap I'm holding my dog with what appears to be a pretty stiff head wind, but really need to salute so I'm going to at least try and make some eye contact to show my sincerity.

Do the pic of bush kissing the saudi prince next!

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Lemme see,

Democrats, bombing Syria.

Republicans, did not bomb Syria.

Libertarians, want to invade Middle East with deer hunters from Terre Haute and "take care of these guys".

Funny, I see a difference.

I see a difference too.

Democrats .. half-assed measures that won't succeed...
    Republicans ... no measures at all...
    Libertarians... if you're going to do it, do it right....

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Obviously, another human tragedy.

It is also worth remembering, perhaps, that modern "terrorism" effectively got its start in the Algerian War of independence from France. Before Black September, before the PIRA, before the PLO, there was the FLN - National Liberation Front - and its directed attacks against Algerian/French national civilians.

The tactic worked. Algerian nationals won and a template for the successful use of terrorism was created.

ETA:
    More specifics on the victim:
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-29352537

Mr Gourdel was a mountain guide in the Mercantour national park north of the French city of Nice.
    He had been organising treks through the Atlas Mountains of Morocco for some 20 years, AFP news agency reports.
    Jund al-Khilafa (Soldiers of the Caliphate) pledged allegiance to IS on 14 September.
    Until then it had been known as part of al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM), which grew out of an Algerian militant group and is now active across North and parts of West Africa.

Last edited:

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    Now that is an interesting development

Obviously, another human tragedy.

It is also worth remembering, perhaps, that modern "terrorism" effectively got its start in the Algerian War of independence from France. Before Black September, before the PIRA, before the PLO, there was the FLN - National Liberation Front - and its directed attacks against Algerian/French national civilians.

The tactic worked. Algerian nationals won and a template for the successful use of terrorism was created.

ETA:
    More specifics on the victim:
    BBC News - French hostage Herve Gourdel 'beheaded in Algeria'
    That sort of ignores the history of the Irish struggle for independence, including Michael Collins setting up cells that were independent of each other and thus were harder for security forces to operate against.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    That sort of ignores the history of the Irish struggle for independence, including Michael Collins setting up cells that were independent of each other and thus were harder for security forces to operate against.

haha My friend, I have a confession. I am not left handed. Nor was I ignoring that. (Hopefully you picked up on the PIRA reference rather than the IRA/IRB/Fenians. I've studied that portion of Irish history on and off since high school.)

(Apologies for the minor thread derailment.)

I discount the Irish efforts in this regard because I consider them a poor reflection of modern terrorism. They may represent a prototype for modern guerrilla organizations, but not terrorist groups. Mostly, they did not explicitly target civilians. Plus, their attacks were against British government structures.

Sure, most of us nowadays don't think of the post office (as in the Easter Uprising) as a military target, but 100+ years ago, it was an agency of British Monarchy. Other targets included the courthouse, which arguably might be an appropriate target, and a distillery, because... well... it is Ireland. :)

Perhaps most importantly, the violence those groups used did not succeed, at least not directly. It was more a matter of public opinion shifting.

In Algeria, there was a direct connection between the violence against civilians (the Pied-noirs) and the successful independence. France gave in to the terrorists. Which begat more terrorists.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    If Obama was a republican, they wouldn't say a word. Democrats are just as guilty. Nobody cares when the law isn't followed if the president was in your party.

Except you have no proof of that since the Republican presidents DID go to congress so....

Jarrel you are technically correct in that Obama has 60days and he hasn't defined it as a war. But it is a war and thus he has violated the spirit of the law if not the law itself.

But you guys digress. The point is that the Republican congress most likely would have declared war had he asked but he plays political games and walks with one foot outside the law. Again.

Top Bottom