• ...and so much more!
  • Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    The medic on shift before me is a nursing mother. She brings her pump with her and does her thing whenever she needs to do so. It's a little odd coming in in the morning and seeing a fridge shelf with milk bottles on it, but I applaud her for taking care of her baby as she does.

It's a little different, but only because we're not as used to it as (I think) we as a society should or might be.

Blessings,
    Bill

$mooth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Texas
    I think its great. Healthier kids from breast milk. And its silly to use a washroom. I don't take my lunch in there; my kids lunch doesn't need to either.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    (BTW I'm not against breast feeding, I feel that if the child and is still that young he/she needs to be at home and not at work).

Discuss.

sounds like a good policy, but I agree with HGC... if the kid is still breast feeding, the mother should still be on maternity leave and she and the kid should be at home...

I wouldn't have a problem with it its natural. I won't lie it would make me feel a little uncomfortable but its something mothers have to do.

Breast feeding stations at work? wouldn't that require the nursing mother to bring their infant/child to work with them every day?

The "push" is not to have babies/children at work with mom while the child breastfeeds. It's to provide an area (private) where a mom can pump breastmilk and store in bottles to take home and then feed her child.

When a female is breastfeeding, in order for the female body to continue to produce milk she must "release" the current milk in her breast every few hours even if the child is NOT drinking it. (ie. similar to a cow, you have to milk the cow twice a day so it continues to produce milk).

In most work places (currenlty) there is no private place for a mom to do this. Most end up going to the bathroom with their pump to preform such an action. While it's semi-private (no men) you still may ave other females walking in on them.

As such the push is to have a room or set of rooms that are dedicated soley for mom's who need to release said milk.

A CHILD is not required to be present for a female to release milk. Moms can pump the milk (either with a manual or electric pump) into bottles other containers and store then in a fridge for later use or put in a portable cooler.

I think the main thing we have going on is ladies pumping their breast at work. New law requires that we allow it. This has not caused us any issues. Usually completed over breaks and lunch. Worst part for me is discussing with employees.

I think its great. Healthier kids from breast milk. And its silly to use a washroom. I don't take my lunch in there; my kids lunch doesn't need to either.

THIS^

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    I work in the construction hardware business. Virtually every set I plans I work on that includes office space also includes one or more "lactation rooms" These rooms are much like a washroom without the fixtures. They have privacy hardware, and occupancy indicators. I have been seeing these for 10 years or more. I was surprised to see this thread...I thought they were everywhere by now.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    sounds like a good policy, but I agree with HGC... if the kid is still breast feeding, the mother should still be on maternity leave and she and the kid should be at home...

Breastfeeding can last past a year. My wife gets 12 weeks leave and our child will still be breastfeeding.

IF she misses a feeding it causes PAIN. She gets swollen from the milk production. If she can not feed our son or pump the breast milk she is not a happy camper.

Not pumping the milk can also cause a stoppage of milk production.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Not pumping the milk can also cause a stoppage of milk production.

Correction it WILL stop the production of milk over the course of a few days to weeks depending on the person.

So either
    a) somone sucks that milks out or
    b) somoene pumps that milk out

Otherwise "mom" is not going to be a happy camper and when "mom" is not happy no one in the house will be happy. ;)

The female human body will continue to produce milk as long as the breast milk is removed from the body. So in theory a female can give birth to a child and 20 years later still be releasing milk.

Note releasing milk not saying anyone is drinking/sucking it out.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    I saw a show where a mother was still breastfeeding her 9 year old boy. Talk about issues.

Dredd

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Public breast feeding should be illegal. We ban other obscenities, why should we allow this? Public nudity is detrimental to public order. Just another way President Oblahblah is destroying our country.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Public breast feeding should be illegal. We ban other obscenities, why should we allow this? Public nudity is detrimental to public order. Just another way President Oblahblah is destroying our country.

:faint: The initative by YOUR pres is not for public breasting feeding. It's so mom's who are "producing milk" (ie. don't know how to spell the correct term it starts with an "L") have a place at work to do their biz in private and for their work to allow them to take time off to do this. Just like people get smoke breaks and the boss see nothing wrong with it. YOUR pres wants the same type of treatement for those mothers who are breastfeeding. As has been stated prior the child won't be at work.

Off-Topic slightly
    I know in IL there is a STATE LAW that does allow mothers to breastfeed in public areas provided they cover up. As such if a mom is feeding her infant at a resturant and is covered up (ie. you can not see her breast) then the owner of the establisment (resturant, store, etc..) CANNOT kick the mother out.

Welcome to INGO Dredd BTW.
    I see you are starting out with lots of neg rep. Hope that does not make you change your mind about this place. It's a good place once you settle in.

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA

Care to explain how breast-feeding is an "obscenity"? Just because something makes you uncomfortable that does NOT make it "obscene". :n00b:

ghostinthewood

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2010
    Washington, IN
    My gf has a breast feeding station at her job.

kitchen1.gif

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I hope any policies include provisions for requesting access to coworkers' mammalian protruberances.

The bar is OPEN!

ruger1800

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Indiana

idk exactly what various employers rules are regarding maternity leave, but I think if the mother plans to return to work after a time, she should get some paid maternity leave. sorry for the slight threadjack.

Do you relise children breast feed up until they are 1 to 2years old.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    How in the world has society managed to get by without the government managing this problem?:rolleyes::D

Top Bottom