• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Precedent is important when there are 2 equally valid ways to decide a case (which can be fairly frequently). Much less so when the precedent is unsound.

Very true, especially when the precedent in question was set by an activist court totally indifferent to the text and intent of the Constitution like there was after Red Frank got done packing the court by the time of World War II.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    I'd like your take (Hough's too) on some of the comments in this:

Judge Kavanaugh and the Second Amendment - Volokh Conspiracy : Reason.com

I am not a law guru, it's a different language to me; however, the parts I did read - I stand by my first statement; he's not my first choice - but I accept him.

In what I read and what I skimmed, he uses language that can offer an out at a later time. He's better than what the opposition would offer. It seems that IF the Supreme Court had ruled differently ion years past, he would not have any problem with regulation.....that's what I hear.

Now that he MAY be on the high court, he will be in the position to do what - set the stage for regulation? If in fact he sees the constitution as "it is written", then what lens can he possibly put on to see it differently? Precedents? Interesting word.

"So my view on how to analyze the constitutional question here under the relevant Supreme Court precedents is not to say that I think certain gun registration laws or laws regulating semi-automatic guns are necessarily a bad idea as a matter of policy. If our job were to decree what we think is the best policy, I would carefully consider the issues through that different lens and might well look favorably upon certain regulations of this kind. But our task is to apply the Constitution and the precedents of the Supreme Court, regardless of whether the result is one we agree with as a matter of first principles or policy."

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    Very true, especially when the precedent in question was set by an activist court totally indifferent to the text and intent of the Constitution like there was after Red Frank got done packing the court by the time of World War II.

Exactly....

Is Brett suggesting that the constitution and supreme court precedents are to be equally considered?

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I called both Donnelly's and Young's Offices today to encourage them to confirm Cavanaugh.

The funny thing is when I asked each if they wanted to confirm I was a constituent, they both said they knew who I was.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I called both Donnelly's and Young's Offices today to encourage them to confirm Cavanaugh.

The funny thing is when I asked each if they wanted to confirm I was a constituent, they both said they knew who I was.
    That's like when the Capt. knows who you are.
    Means you've either done something fantastic, or you're a screw up.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    The Captain always knew who I was. The Colonel usually knew and the General did on occasion. I was always noticeably outstanding one way or another.

I can't remember what the issue was, but a couple of years ago there was some big 2A legislation that they were talking about and I called up everyone and was quite agitated in my opposition to it. I am thinking they may have checked to see if I might be a problem.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    The Captain always knew who I was. The Colonel usually knew and the General did on occasion. I was always noticeably outstanding one way or another.

I can't remember what the issue was, but a couple of years ago there was some big 2A legislation that they were talking about and I called up everyone and was quite agitated in my opposition to it. I am thinking they may have checked to see if I might be a problem.

Navy Capt. = Army Colonel

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I look forward to seeing how he responds to questions about the 4th Amendment. That is the area that gives me pause today where he is concerned.

Top Bottom