• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HotD

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    N/A
    Too bad there isn't a reputation algorithm that would only provide a sliding percentage of the receiving user's current rep, to a maximum of (for instance) 5%, with percentages determined by the user's rep; as well as a capped gain or loss within a 24 hour period, as currently done with giving out rep.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    as a long time forum/BBS user (and I mean long time in general internet use, not here) I dont see a problem with negative rep... as long as it can only be doled out one hit at a time or only by level headed, seasoned, experienced users. If a user gets a mag full of neg reps a day and he has the ability to empty said mag of rep all at once on a person to ruin them for a long time thats bad news.

Just like ebay, I dont see a problem with being able to ping a user ONCE (without the ability to seek out each and every one of that user's comments and give them a -1 repeatedly and vindictively until you are out of them)

Then again I admittedly dont know the whole story as to why it was removed, forum software limitations/abuses, etc. so I'll just leave my :twocents: with that understanding... take it FWIW.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    as a long time forum/BBS user (and I mean long time in general internet use, not here) I dont see a problem with negative rep... as long as it can only be doled out one hit at a time or only by level headed, seasoned, experienced users.

vBulletin doesn't have that sort of granular control over who can give out rep. It's (generally) an all-or-nothing proposal. Neg rep was removed because many members were taking it upon themselves to punish new members with crushing negative rep for minor technical errors or social faux pas particular to INGO's culture. This ended up driving many of them away. In the end, it was decided that the benefits of being able to add neg rep to a comment came nowhere near to the damage it was causing.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    vBulletin doesn't have that sort of granular control over who can give out rep. It's (generally) an all-or-nothing proposal. Neg rep was removed because many members were taking it upon themselves to punish new members with crushing negative rep for minor technical errors or social faux pas particular to INGO's culture. This ended up driving many of them away. In the end, it was decided that the benefits of being able to add neg rep to a comment came nowhere near to the damage it was causing.

So how is positive repping a member with 3 posts to the max any less of an abuse? If the rep system is such a joke, why even have one?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    So how is positive repping a member with 3 posts to the max any less of an abuse? If the rep system is such a joke, why even have one?

That's not my call to make. I advocated getting rid of it entirely. I've had my rep turned off for two years. The question was "Why don't we set up rep with a bunch of crazy rules and conditions?", which I answered.

HotD

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    N/A
    I had to see what I could do, 3 gold 2 silver to someone with only one green bar.
    :D

I can give out 3 silver, one red, and 7 bars to someone with only one green bar.

Shouldn't there be an official INGO thread to brag about this? :D

Top Bottom