• Status
    Not open for further replies.

semperfi211

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Near Lowell
    Ok, I have this friend that goes to the same resort in the Dominican Republic every winter. He enjoys a good cigar every now and then. The resort has a good selection of cigars including Cubans. He enjoys several different cigars while on vacation even though he knows he isn't supposed to smoke Cubans.
    The last few years he has brought a Cohiba or two back in the pocket of his cargo pants. He has noticed that going through customs at O Hare they didn't go through his and his wifes bags while returning from Punta Cana the last few years.
    He is considering bringing a whole box back with him this trip. His main concern is what if customs opens his suitcase and find them? Will they just shake their finger at him and trash them or would he be in bigger trouble?
    And another thought, what if he just takes all the bands off of his Cubans before packing and they open his case? Would they buy his story that they are Dominicans and don't have bands? I don't want my friend to get into any trouble. I think his best bet would to take the bands off, If that works??:D Gosh not like he is smuggling drugs or anything.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I brought some back and they checked the bag they were in. They saw them but didn't really think anything of it as I had changed the bands. Some of the places that have "house" brands will sell the bands and you can put them on.

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    Since I don't smoke cigars, the interest isn't there, but I remember talking to a local customs agent a few years back, and he got all exercised when I asked about the subject. I had no idea it was such a big deal, but he was talking big fines for each and every cigar brought into the country. I wouldn't think it would be worth it. IMO

andrewjshimmmen

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    indianapolis
    just go for a Cuban brand that also is produced in the DR, bands are identical long as they don't have the EMS mark, but beware most Cuban sold that way are "not" always Cubans, being English i know i miss Cubans like crazy, and have thought about it too.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Buddy of mine brings back cubans by the boxloads. He has worked out a deal with a shop in Mexico IIRC that sends him the bands in the mail so he can replace the generic bands he has installed on the cubans to get them thru customs.

Or I could be making this up. . . . .

jason765

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Henry County
    A former boss of mine used to go on cruises with his wife and bring a box of cubans every time, the only time he had them confiscated was when his wife decided to declare them at customs. ARRRRRGGGGG stupid wife!!!!:(

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    It's possible that I'm wrong because I don't know much about cigars, but I've been told that you can bring up to 24 back for personal use. Is that wrong?

BTW, they have boxes of Cubans here for $80/25, which I've been told is a great deal. I thought about bringing some back to barter...

Anybody know the real ins & outs of bringing them back?

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    It's possible that I'm wrong because I don't know much about cigars, but I've been told that you can bring up to 24 back for personal use. Is that wrong?

BTW, they have boxes of Cubans here for $80/25, which I've been told is a great deal. I thought about bringing some back to barter...

Anybody know the real ins & outs of bringing them back?

Flat out not allowed.

Prohibitions on Cuban Cigars - CBP.gov

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    I have only ever seen a cuban twice in the united states, however i've met a ton of people who swear they have actual cuban cigars. They then bring out some rebranded american cigar. All the cubans i have seen look like lumpy cat turds. The lady that would bring them back had dual citizenship with here and honduras. The wrapping looked less precise and they were skinnier than "normal". They were also bundled inside a moist cloth.
    best example picture i could find
    stock-photo-original-cuban-humidor-of-an-banana-leaf-and-separate-cigars-in-brown-isolated-on-a-white-64781911.jpg

They also smelled like dirt and nursing home vitamin farts.

They had that 1980's old dog poop white color...tangent: why is there no longer white dog poop?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Here is a link to Cigar Afficinado's webpages on avoiding fake Cuban cigars => Avoiding Counterfeit Cubans | Cuba Report | Cigar Aficionado

just go for a Cuban brand that also is produced in the DR, bands are identical long as they don't have the EMS mark
    THIS IS UNTRUE.

EMS is a type of cigar wrapper. EMS is also called English Market Selection/Standard. It does not designate anything other than the type of tobacco wrapper, not the origin of the tobacco. Link => http://blogcritics.org/tastes/article/the-ten-things-to-know-about/

The vast majority of Cuban cigars will have the word HABANO written on the band, regardless of the tobacco wrapper used. Sadly so do the counterfeit Cubans!

but beware most Cuban sold that way are "not" always Cubans
    TRUE. Most cigars sold in the Dominican Republic as "Cubans" are not actually of Cuban origin. Most are counterfeit Cubans. Real Cuban cigars are sold in the better hotel gift and cigar shops, they are not cheap, and anyone who says they can get real Cubans cheaply is a liar.

REAL Cuban cigars are closer to $20 per cigar. $80 for a box of 25 is too cheap for badly made Dominicans!

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Here is a link to Cigar Afficinado's webpages on avoiding fake Cuban cigars => Avoiding Counterfeit Cubans | Cuba Report | Cigar Aficionado

THIS IS UNTRUE.

EMS is a type of cigar wrapper. EMS is also called English Market Selection/Standard. It does not designate anything other than the type of tobacco wrapper, not the origin of the tobacco. Link => The Ten Things to Know About Cigar Wrappers - Blogcritics Tastes

The vast majority of Cuban cigars will have the word HABANO written on the band, regardless of the tobacco wrapper used. Sadly so do the counterfeit Cubans!

TRUE. Most cigars sold in the Dominican Republic as "Cubans" are not actually of Cuban origin. Most are counterfeit Cubans. Real Cuban cigars are sold in the better hotel gift and cigar shops, they are not cheap, and anyone who says they can get real Cubans cheaply is a liar.

REAL Cuban cigars are closer to $20 per cigar. $80 for a box of 25 is too cheap for badly made Dominicans!

Not necessarily a great bet. But if it is a high priced resort (4 or 5 star) with a gift shop stocked with premium goods, then its probably a reasonable bet. Here is a link to photos of counterfeit bands => Counterfeit Gallery | Cigar Aficionado

Yeah, like you know anything about cigars.

:shady:

:rofl: :D :laugh::laugh::laugh:

-J-

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN

I know you're definitely the "go-to-guy" for cigar info, but I've examined the examples on the linked "counterfeit" site and the boxes these come in. The box has a genuine, unbroken, serial numbered "Republica de Cuba" seal on it and the bands on the cigars are like those shown on the Genuine Cuban Romeo Y Julieta page at that link. Maybe the cubans are only that expensive in tourist areas.

I'm not in a tourist area, nor am I in a country that would even attract tourists. Maybe that plays a role in the pricing?

My partner that I'm here with said they are definitely real Cubans, he's had Cubans before, and he's had counterfeit Cubans, and he claims to know the difference. He is certain these are real Cubans for $80/box.

:dunno:

Is it even remotely possible that they can be had that cheaply in certain countries?

Maybe I should bring some back and you can tell me?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Real name brand Cuban cigars are expensive in EVERY country, even Cuba.

FWIW, there is no way I can buy a good box of Romeo y Julieta DOMINICAN cigars for $80 a box, not even at wholesale prices (and I have a distributors license and buy direct).

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I work at a major shipbuilder in Southern Indiana, we have alot of Cubans here!! they are some really nice guys, but I don't think I can bring them on a plane with me.......

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Just a reminder that INGO is not the place to discuss the best way to smuggle contraband through a border crossing. Discussion of illegal activity will not be tolerated here.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom