• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    I would support the laws as long as they don't start inventing gun crimes, speeding while possessing a firearm, jaywalking while in possession, etc.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I'm also not a big fan of jail time for misdemeanors (depending on the offense, generally speaking).

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    That is excellent. I'll have to formulate a good response before I register at IndyStar and respond. If they actually strictly enforce the existing laws and don't create new ones, this has a lot of potential to be a really good thing for the city. I'd hate to see their "sweeping the streets for guns and drugs" infringe on the rights of legal firearm owners, especially in a time when we so clearly need to be able to defend ourselves.

Thanks for bringing this letter to our attention!

DustinG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    It will be another failed government policy. The only way to stop these unneccessary murders is to put the guns into the publics hands. If nearly everyone in Indianapolis walked around open carrying, I believe the crime rate would drop off significantly. Then they would be like "who would have thought that guns in the hands of law abiding citizens would reduce crime?" :dunno:

Glock Lover

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    muncie
    That is excellent. I'll have to formulate a good response before I register at IndyStar and respond. If they actually strictly enforce the existing laws and don't create new ones, this has a lot of potential to be a really good thing for the city. I'd hate to see their "sweeping the streets for guns and drugs" infringe on the rights of legal firearm owners, especially in a time when we so clearly need to be able to defend ourselves.

Thanks for bringing this letter to our attention!

I agree I think this could be a positive thing if carried out as written. They gotta do something. At least it would a start.

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Although we've become accustomed to hearing of the "body count" from Iraq war reports...

First off, speak for yourself, a$$hole. I have not "become accustomed to hearing of the 'body count' from Iraq."

Secondly, I think his idea holds no value and he knows it. This is merely a political stunt; he's a true to type politician and nothing more. It is not the first time that he shows his true colors regarding firearms and individual liberty in general. F*ck him!

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    First off, speak for yourself, a$. I have not "become accustomed to hearing of the 'body count' from Iraq."

Secondly, I think his idea holds no value and he knows it. This is merely a political stunt; he's a true to type politician and nothing more. It is not the first time that he shows his true colors regarding firearms and individual liberty in general. F*ck him!

IMO Carl Brizzi is a terrible prosecutor. He is strictly a career politician looking to be elected to a higher office. The Prosecutor's Office is in disarray, poor plea bargains rampant and the criminals are walking or they are getting the deal of their life. Unfortunately, the Democrats ran a poor choice for Prosecutor (No criminal experience) and once again the citizens suffered at the hands of the Marion County Democrat/Republican Machine. The Murder rate is skyrocketing because the criminals know they are relatively safe from vigorous competent prosecution in Marion County.

Episcopus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Northwest Indiana
    I'm also not a big fan of jail time for misdemeanors (depending on the offense, generally speaking).

For what its worth, a misdemeanor carries a real-life max of 6 months actual time. Statute says 1 year on an A misdemeanor, but day-for-day good time credit is presumptive and fairly tough to lose in county jail. I agree with the sentiment, and only use jail on repeat offenders and "serious" misdemeanors. Probation is usually enough to straighten out someone who commits the average misdemeanor.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    For what its worth, a misdemeanor carries a real-life max of 6 months actual time. Statute says 1 year on an A misdemeanor, but day-for-day good time credit is presumptive and fairly tough to lose in county jail. I agree with the sentiment, and only use jail on repeat offenders and "serious" misdemeanors. Probation is usually enough to straighten out someone who commits the average misdemeanor.

For the vast majority of misdemeanors, I'd rather see community service, where they're literally repaying their debt to society by working it off, rather than sitting in jail being no use to anyone. Obviously, this is a very generalized statement, but the people who commit misdemeanors are not dangerous and don't need to be "separated from society".

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

Every time ol' ferret-face sticks his head up from his burrow and shows his hind end to everyone, it reminds me of how much better things were when Scott Newman was the prosecutor.

Concerns over how whatever gets implemented will affect law-abiding gun owners are entirely valid, as he clearly has little or no concern for us.

AFA1CY

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    In that Field that is Green
    It will be another failed government policy. The only way to stop these unneccessary murders is to put the guns into the publics hands. If nearly everyone in Indianapolis walked around open carrying, I believe the crime rate would drop off significantly. Then they would be like "who would have thought that guns in the hands of law abiding citizens would reduce crime?" :dunno:
    I respectfully disagree with you. I believe if you looked at most violent (gun) crimes they are being committed by the criminal element on the criminal element. Gangs and drugs make up most of this type of crime. The people who have LTCH for the most part do not interact with this populace.

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    For the vast majority of misdemeanors, I'd rather see community service, where they're literally repaying their debt to society by working it off, rather than sitting in jail being no use to anyone. Obviously, this is a very generalized statement, but the people who commit misdemeanors are not dangerous and don't need to be "separated from society".
    We definitely need to find a better way of punishing nonviolent offenders whether it be community service, public canings, or some other method. We can't afford to keep incarcerating people at the rate we are for these minor offenses. That's also why I think we need to decriminalize marijuana and look at the others. Wm F. Buckley Jr. came to that conclusion years ago. We aren't controlling it. Most people laugh and joke about it as things stand now.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    We definitely need to find a better way of punishing nonviolent offenders whether it be community service, public canings, or some other method. We can't afford to keep incarcerating people at the rate we are for these minor offenses. That's also why I think we need to decriminalize marijuana and look at the others. Wm F. Buckley Jr. came to that conclusion years ago. We aren't controlling it. Most people laugh and joke about it as things stand now.

I have a lot of community service folks that do their service where I work. For the most part, they are decent folks. Everyone once in a while we get a real winner.....:noway:

Santee

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    A man walks into a convenience store, pulls a knife, gets the money and leaves.

A woman walks into a convenience store, breaks the attendants arm with a baseball bat, gets the money and leaves.

A man goes into a convenience store, kills the attendant with a tire iron, gets the money and leaves.

Tell me how any of these crimes are made worse if a firearm was used rather than the weapon that was used?

The punishment should fit the crime, not the weapon used in the crime. To hell with their "gun crime" ********, it is crime, pure and simple. Do not allow yourself to be pulled into their ******** rhetoric that shifts the blame to an inanimate object.

Any public servant that uses such language is already telling you what they think of law abiding citizens who carry concealed or openly. You are suspect for the simple act of carrying and they will do anything they can think of the make you suspect in the eyes of the public.

The use of a weapon, other than a firearm, does not make it less of a crime. And the dead attendant is no more dead if shot, as opposed to less dead, because a tire iron was used. Repeat offenders need harsher punishment, not because of the weapon they choose to use.

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    A man walks into a convenience store, pulls a knife, gets the money and leaves.

A woman walks into a convenience store, breaks the attendants arm with a baseball bat, gets the money and leaves.

A man goes into a convenience store, kills the attendant with a tire iron, gets the money and leaves.

Tell me how any of these crimes are made worse if a firearm was used rather than the weapon that was used?

The punishment should fit the crime, not the weapon used in the crime. To hell with their "gun crime" ********, it is crime, pure and simple. Do not allow yourself to be pulled into their ******** rhetoric that shifts the blame to an inanimate object.

Any public servant that uses such language is already telling you what they think of law abiding citizens who carry concealed or openly. You are suspect for the simple act of carrying and they will do anything they can think of the make you suspect in the eyes of the public.

The use of a weapon, other than a firearm, does not make it less of a crime. And the dead attendant is no more dead if shot, as opposed to less dead, because a tire iron was used. Repeat offenders need harsher punishment, not because of the weapon they choose to use.
    :thumbsup::+1::thumbsup:

Top Bottom