• ...and so much more!
  • indygunguy

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    NE Side of Indy
    It used to take less than a minute to get from Broadripple Park to Keystone on Boadripple Ave. Now it takes 10+ minutes in bumper to bumper traffic because some clown cut Broadripple Ave down to one lane in each direction to put in bike lanes on each side. Reeeeeeeally?!?!?! Bikes get as much room as cars? The ratio of bikes to cars on that stretch today was exactly 0:912. From now on I hope those cyclists are wearing their helmets because I'm driving in the bike lane... who's with me??

hrdwarhax

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2011
    Marion Co. Castleton
    thats dumb, why do you need a bike lane if you can ride in the middle of the street then cut down monon anyway ? rediculous. i like going green and cycling but thats dumb.

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    WestSide and SouthSide have this problem now also. Lafayette Rd has bike lanes on both sides while they severely narrowed the driving lanes. There is a 4-5ft walking path right next to it that bicyclists have always used. Stupid.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I don't get it. Are 100K people planning to ride bicycles to Indy for the Superbowl in February? How did I not hear about this?

Did someone tell Ballard "if you build them, they will ride"?

I've ridden bicycles on the surface streets of Marion County since I was a kid. I don't ever remember thinking "Boy, I wish the city would waste a couple million dollars creating a special lane just for me".

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I heard somewhere that "we" for federal money or this project, and had to spend it. These bike lanes are the most retarded thing I've seen in quite a while. I cannot comprehend how they are safe for anyone - the 2 bikers that might use them, or the thousands of cars that are forced into narrow lanes.

I fully believe we will be spending our OWN money (yeah, it is all ours originally) to un-do this fiasco in a few years. What a colossal waste.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    Shelby St was supposed to have a bike lane from downtown to where it ties into Madison, business owners from Raymond to Troy fought and won, no designated bike lane

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    Shelby St was supposed to have a bike lane from downtown to where it ties into Madison, business owners from Raymond to Troy fought and won, no designated bike lane

Glad to hear that! But they still ruined the newly paved road South of Troy taking it down to one lane in each direction. They are doing this crap all over town. The worst one I have seen is New York St through downtown. The lanes jog almost every block and most people can't tell what lane they need to be in. The right lane keeps turning into a right turn only lane and people keep cutting each off trying to go straight.

The worst part about this whole thing is the fact that most of these bike lanes spend 99% of their time just sitting there unused, especially in the winter. That's a lot of perfectly good pavement being totally wasted that we all paid for. :noway: Not to mention the little issue of people getting killed due to the asinine design of many of them.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    WestSide and SouthSide have this problem now also. Lafayette Rd has bike lanes on both sides while they severely narrowed the driving lanes. There is a 4-5ft walking path right next to it that bicyclists have always used. Stupid.
    Lafayette road has no one on a bicycle unless it's stolen! Now they have their own lane, and the lane for autos is 2 feet smaller! I guess since they are using tax funded streets, then we should require them to plate and insure the bicycles and tax them for use of the road!:xmad:

MRTOOSE

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Putnam Co
    I drive in Indy as well and have noticed blke lanes ,which I have nothing against someone riding , but there is never anyone on them .. seems like a waste to me ...

Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    These "bike lanes" are all over downtown Indy. They've taken, or in the process of taking, 4-5 lane streets and knocked them down to 2-3 lane streets just to provide a safer passage for cyclists.

With increased motorist traffic in the downtown area, you would think they would be making changes to INCREASE traffic flow, not RESTRICT it.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    These "bike lanes" are all over downtown Indy. They've taken, or in the process of taking, 4-5 lane streets and knocked them down to 2-3 lane streets just to provide a safer passage for cyclists.

With increased motorist traffic in the downtown area, you would think they would be making changes to INCREASE traffic flow, not RESTRICT it.

I wouldn't consider these bike lanes, especially the ones anywhere near downtown, "safe" for a bicycle at all. Its scary enough to navigate through some of those areas in a car. If I was on a bicycle I think I might be to puckered to pedal.

Top Bottom