• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Twin50

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2013
    Crawfordsville
    So I broke a tap off in my Saiga 7.62x39 yesterday when trying to install a bullet guide. Can anybody help me get the tap out and install this bullet guide??

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    From what I have read you should take a punch and hammer and smack the remaining piece of tap and it will break into pieces. Then just clean it out and use another tap to finish the hole Be sure to use enough oil, don't force it so much and back it out every now and then to clear it.

engineerpower

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    State of Boone
    First, try some needle nose pliers. If that doesn't work, see if you can slip some pins between the tap and wall of the hole, and twist back out.

The "correct" answer is a tap extractor if you have the money, time, and inclination. Similiar to this:

extractor.jpg

Tap Extractors for Machine Screw and Hand Taps | Walton

A broken screw extractor might be able to get the tap out, if'n you're the lucky sort. Home Depot sells them there in town (3 in stock, aisle 12):

0198e101-1f02-4148-bdc7-ba7115e49958_400.jpg

Ryobi 3-Spiral Screw Extractor-A96SE08 at The Home Depot

Otherwise you may be in a pickle. You can try breaking the tap up like Expat said, but they're hardened more so than your trunnion is, so you may end up driving it (and your proto-thread) out of the hole before it breaks.

ARF.COM and the AKFiles both have threads specifically on this, I suggest you check them out. GIYF.

Saiga build, bullet guide tap broke.... - AR15.COM
    Saiga 7.62x39 bullet guide problems... broken tap. - The AK Files Forums

Twin50

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2013
    Crawfordsville
    From what I have read you should take a punch and hammer and smack the remaining piece of tap and it will break into pieces. Then just clean it out and use another tap to finish the hole Be sure to use enough oil, don't force it so much and back it out every now and then to clear it.

I wonder if there is any down side to breaking it up. I mean its possible that the tap won't break up and some pieces can get punched right through the hole right? If I can get it punched through then I should be ok with that piece in inside of the receiver if I can get the bullet screw in covering the whole correct?

engineerpower

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    State of Boone
    Drive it from the bottom out, in the opposite direction you were tapping. They're HSS (high speed steel) so I have doubts it will break before it exits your trunnion. If it does, you shouldn't leave any pieces in if you can help it.

I thought these were typically riveted in? Worst case, you could always weld it.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I have removed a few using heavy sewing needles and a pair of vise grips. I go in and out a little at a time until the chips clear. Don't rush it. Even after the thing starts to move free back it in a and out a little to clear the chips. It's a PIA but doable. A tap extractor as Engineer says is the best way. You'll likely ruin the threads trying to punch it threw. That would be a last resort. It depend on how far you tapped it in before it broke.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I broke a tap in a mosin and just sat for a while with a punch and hammer it will break it just takes some time. I have also used acids to loosen things up a bit but I DO NOT recommend that here.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    As its a bullet guide, you won't be able to tap it out from the bottom. There also isnt an extractor or easy out small enough. You're only option is to freeze and smack it, edm it, or acid.... unfortunately.

30calmachinegunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Westfield
    A friend of mine has a hole popper, the only safe way to remove it. You didn't say if the tap broke because you were clumsy or if it seized up in the hole, makes a big difference. Trying to bust it out will most likely damage threads and if it's a good tap probably won't work. A carbide cutter in a mill is the best option short of the hole popper

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    due to the size of the tap breaking it apart would be my choice i have done this with a few items in the past (once in a yugo gas block (i was installing a gas reducer)) due to the hardness of the tap it should break apart fairly easy ( it almost crumbles) you can damage the threads if you punch is not properly sized and as 30 cal noted .... a carbine drill will cut into the tap (results may be limited) but if you can drill out the center you can collapse the tap with a punch and hammer (a far better method than just whacking the tap directly with a punch and hammer (which is very forgiving on larger taps)

Any one that's a demilled a AK parts kit knows what im talking about

30calmachinegunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Westfield
    I've been a tool &die maker for almost 40 years now and I would have to say trying to bust a tap out has never worked for mr, I have to say though that I've almost always had better options to start with, maybe because of the quality of the taps, HSS taps just don't break up. For tapping blind holes in guns I believe a carbon steel tap is recommended because they will bust up if they break, what was the quality/type and size of tap you were using?:draw:

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    if you need help you can bring it over to my place. I've got most of the tools listed in this thread, and access to the them, plus I've done it a few times before.

Top Bottom