• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    i managed to lose my folding utility knife, the one i've had for nearly ten years. actually kinda upset on that but another matter.

i pulled out an old actual knife, i've had this kershaw folder for a decade or so, but rarely used. i broke the tip prying on something.

mechanically speaking, its still a good knife. takes an edge well, folds and opens perfectly.

the tip bugs the **** out of me. i've thought about putting it on a grinder and making it into a tanto-style.

thoughts?

IMG_20130106_221459.jpg

Last edited:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I had tyler34 reprofile an Endura for me once and was totally shocked at what I got back.

2q86jia.jpg

w0kncx.jpg

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    1550?

I carried the 1550 T (tanto) before it was discontinued and I lost it, but I broke the tip on that one.

A fried of mine has the same knife you do, broke the tip on that.

The model you have, I carried (no serrations) and bent the tip on that one.

I think that line was known for it, or I have bad luck

Fergy35

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NE Corner of our gre
    It can be reshaped easily enough and the final shape will depend on what you want it to end up like. A customer of mine, at work, asked me to work on one for him. His was an old case that his kids had given him for Christmas years ago (No pressure there, nope none). I was able to reshape it like the old profile with the only real loss being just shy of the break line. In that case, that is what he wanted.

If you want it done by someone that knows what they are doing - Send it to Cubby. He will take good care of it for you. If you want to do it yourself, have at it. Just remember to keep it cool and go slow.

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    I would drop the spine to meet the tip. The tip will be STRONGER, because there is more material there. Then just resharpen. Pretty common breakage point, usually from screw driver use, or prying.....

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I would drop the spine to meet the tip. The tip will be STRONGER, because there is more material there. Then just resharpen. Pretty common breakage point, usually from screw driver use, or prying.....

That's how I've done it in the past.

Fergy35

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NE Corner of our gre

Yep, that sounds like a good plan. That would save you as much usable blade as possible and give you a stronger tip.

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville

after trying to use the blame thing today i cant deal with it. i need a good tip (story of my life)
    trying to cut tape and plastic wrap is a pain like it is. ive also noticed the serrations are a bit dinged up as well, anything you can do on that?

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    i don't do anything on serrations.... in my opinion, a sharp knife doesn't need serrations 99.9% of the time. they can be sharpened on a sharpmaker, but i have never really tried it...... they look like they have alot of life left in them, not worked down like most serrations i have seen. shouldn't be to bad to sharpen on a sharpmaker.

you could remove the serrations all together, but then would need to regrind the knife to make it cut well.

Top Bottom