• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TREETOP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    Carmel/Westfield
    There are a few different variants but if it's a real Browning it's almost guaranteed to be good. There are a couple other ones that look the same but are made from different manufacturers (FEG and Arcus for example) that can be hit or miss but are usually a bit less refined. I've got a Belgium/Portugal Browning, and it's honestly my favorite handgun I've ever had.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    There are a few different variants but if it's a real Browning it's almost guaranteed to be good. There are a couple other ones that look the same but are made from different manufacturers (FEG and Arcus for example) that can be hit or miss but are usually a bit less refined. I've got a Belgium/Portugal Browning, and it's honestly my favorite handgun I've ever had.

I almost bought a "N E W" CHARLES DALY HI-POWER, but then decide to pay more money for a used BROWNING HI-POWER, cause nothing beats a classic

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    The Browning HP is one of JMBs' best designs. It was also the first hi cap 9mm pistol. Like stated above there are several versions of the original as well as a few clones. I own several Brownings as well as an FEG. The FEG is almost an identical copy to the original and are made very well. They can be found at bargain prices compared to a "real" Browning. To me the HP has the most comfortable grip for a hi cap pistol and points and shoots very well. The triggers need a bit of work but they can be tuned up nicely. I've been wanting to carry a HP again but haven't found a holster I like yet. What type HP are you lookin at?

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Also, don't be afraid to look at an FM (Argentine) HiPower.

They were/are licensed copies of the HiPower made on proper HiPower tooling sold to the Argentinian gov't by FN Herstal to supply their military / police with the pistol. You can also get an "Officer's" sized slide FM pistol, which has a 1" shorter slide/barrel than standard. (like the Officer's sized 1911 is 1" shorter than the full sized)

The finish on the FM pistols leaves something to be desired and the overall fit/finish isn't what an FN is, but they're still fine firearms. And, being licensed copies, all aftermarket parts and all FN replacement parts will fit.

For way more HP information than you can ever stand to read, look up the website HiPowers & Handguns by Stephen A. Camp. Plan to spend an entire day reading. I highly suggest that you do.

-J-

tomc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I've never fired one myself, but my dad had a Browning Hi-Power as his service sidearm and he loved it. If anything, the fact that the British SAS used it for a while would be a fairly good endorsement :)

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    We have an FM Hi Power and IG77 is pretty much spot on with his assessment of them. It's a great gun, even if its not the prettiest Hi Power out there. I've removed the mag safety and installed a standard Hi Power extended slide safety. One of these days, I'll have it refinished to look as nice as it shoots.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    The HiPower is a real shooter. They are great guns. In fact, I have one on me right now. I have other guns I can carry, but nothing feels or shoots like a HiPower.

All the cool kids own at least one HiPower. You'll just never be cool until you have one.

Socomike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 16, 2011
    I love the way the feel in my hand. Sadly I have never had the pleasure to shoot one. I hear they are tack drivers.

Osobuco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    I just scored a NIB 75th anniv standard version with adjustable sights off gunbroker for $631 :rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot:

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    Looking at one for sale but don't know much about them. Are they shooters?:chuck:
    My friend, they are one of the most beautiful pieces of equipment you can lay your hands on. It is the quint essential 9mm. Brownings prices are a little steep though, around 1,000 bucks or so. There are some knock-offs out there that are about half the price. In my humble opinion, the FEG is about one of the better ones, and they are made in Hungary I believe. Happy gun hunting.:)

Osobuco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    My friend, they are one of the most beautiful pieces of equipment you can lay your hands on. It is the quint essential 9mm. Brownings prices are a little steep though, around 1,000 bucks or so. There are some knock-offs out there that are about half the price. In my humble opinion, the FEG is about one of the better ones, and they are made in Hungary I believe. Happy gun hunting.:)

you must have missed my post above yours - thay can be had for less than a grand if you are patient. Last I saw CDNN had some for $789

I just scored a NIB 75th anniv standard version with adjustable sights off gunbroker for $631 :rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot:

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    you must have missed my post above yours - thay can be had for less than a grand if you are patient. Last I saw CDNN had some for $789

Holy cow. How do you buy one off of Gunbroker? Do you have an FFL?

Osobuco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    Holy cow. How do you buy one off of Gunbroker? Do you have an FFL?

I have it shipped to my favorite local dealer for transfer - In my case I always use Indy Trading Post -they only charge $20 - best shop in Indianapolis IMHO - Brian is a real gentleman - awesome customer service!

Top Bottom