Not open for further replies.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    For me Guns have character. And when you use them they get what I like to call character marks. Bumps and bruises along with holster wear and carbon deposits. The timeless scratch on the frame put there by a 1911 noob or a tainted nickel finish from sloppy Hoppes are just a few mistakes that are common. But far more common are the damaged screwheads that I see all the time. Yep, I used to do it in the beginning years as well. Instead of taking the time to get the right tool or secure the firearm on the bench, like fingernails across the chalkboard, I would destroy the screw slot. The ill fitting blade and improper angles would twist and mar the finished head which forever screamed….rookie. Yes, you can file and stone and reblue the head cleaning it up a little but evidence still lurks.

Enter the Brownells screwdriver set. BROWNELLS MAGNA-TIP SUPER SETS™ | Brownells. They say that professionals can tell a lot about the individual by the company he keeps and the equipment he attains. One thing about writing reviews in this forum since I am not getting paid by any endorsements, I can tell it exactly as I see it. Something I am no stranger to. There may be better sets available but this Brownells kit works good for me. If you ever get to Iowa stop in and see the new Brownells Store. It is very nice.

I recently purchased a new set this year as I gave my old one to my son as it still is intact and with not one broken or twisted bit. In between time, I wanted to see what the Wheeler Professional kit was all about and even though it is imported, I wanted to give it a try. I do not make a habit of just labeling all imports as junk, but make an effort to purchase and evaluate them myself. Hands On, if you will. There is a lot of good stuff made around the world but I have to see for myself as gunwriters have to sell product. I don’t. Soft, twisted bits, and loss of magnetic heads on handle let this thing fail for me in a few months. I should have known.

So, back to the Brownell set that has never failed me in my gunsmithing duties. Yes, it cost more and yes I would like to see some improvements. First, the set was designed and marketed before Torx was invented. I had to buy the auxillary Torx heads and put them into the tray under the stubby handle. Next, I have never been a fan of plastic hinged lids. Not that mine have broken but they are always flopping in the way blocking light and such. I wish Brownells would improve this set to include more bit holders and a detached lid. It would be nice if they made one out of real wood but that is dreaming I guess.

This tool is quality and will last you for generations. If one decides to use the handle to pound on gunparts, (another pet peeve) these handles will take it, however you will leave character marks on the head of the handle. So be woke, if the job is worth doing…as they say…do it right and do not leave evidence tracks on your gun screws. It is character defining for the person and the product. Good shooting to all.

View attachment 93668

View attachment 93669

Original thread here.​

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/gunsmithing/488816-brownells-screwdriver-set.html

Attachments

• IMG_0339 (002).jpg
      IMG_0339 (002).jpg
      274 KB · Views: 12
    • IMG_0340 (002).jpg
      IMG_0340 (002).jpg
      508.3 KB · Views: 13
    Last edited by a moderator:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom