• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • col132

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2010
    I've been a big fan of the Hi-Power since the late 1970's. They are a beautiful design and were eons ahead of their day. All of the things I'm going to mention can be fixed by a competent gunsmith, but do you want to add to your initial $899 layout.

Older Hi-Powers had what is referred to as a hump feedramp, designed to be used with ball ammo. They could be pretty finicky with some of the newer designed bullets. Newer Hi-Powers with the straight feed ramp are much better. Small safety lever. Hammer bite without alteration. Slick grip when hands are sweaty.

Like I said, I love the Hi-Power, but if you're going to use it for concealed carry, or a bunch of range time, there are much better designs for less money, including, Glock, M&P, Sig, etc.

BIG TIM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fountaintown
    As previously mentioned, the High Power was way ahead of it's time and still is an excellent shooter in most cases. I would say finding one in the $600 dollar range in excellent shape should be easy enough to do. I bought two around this price in excellent condition. As far as a carry weapon, I believe there are many better, lighter choices available today including Sig, Glock, S+W, and many others.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I've owned HiPowers for nearly 20 years now. They are my favorite pistol of all time. I think $899 is a little on the high side, but they're great pistols. The Mark III should have the improved feed ramp, and hence shouldn't give any feeding issues with JHP rounds. Also, if it has the ring hammer, hammer bite most likely won't be an issue. But even with the classic spur hammer, it's usually only an issue for people who either 1) have big, fat hands, or 2) have an extremely high grip. The trigger may be a bit gritty, but that will be greatly improved by removing the Magazine Disconnect. Please note, I didn't call it a safety. If you want to keep the magazine disconnect, a competent gunsmith can smooth out the triger for you. Another thing... my 13 round magazines all rattle a little bit when inserted into the pistol (actually, it's the rounds the rattle, not the mags themselves). Of course it could be because the springs have a good bit of use on them. Get the flush-fit MecGar 15-round magazines, and you can't go wrong.

Don't let the naysayers who love their Glocks, Sigs, Rugers, etc. talk you out of a HiPower. It's a classic, and a must-have for any 9mm shooter. I will NEVER not own one! And I CC mine on a regular basis. If you can CC a 1911, you can easily CC a HiPower.

All the cool kids have at least one HiPower.

Last edited:

darngolf

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    I think the Hi-Power is the best feeling 9mm made. There is just something about it that just feels right. It might be because I also prefer the 1911 platform. I have a mk3 and it has been flawless with over 1500 rounds. In fact I didn't clean it for the first 1,000 rounds just wiped it off and kept it lubed to see if I could get it to malfunction and it just kept firing and firing. Mine is extremely accurate and the trigger is stock, not as good as my 1911's but better than most others.

X ring

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 11, 2010
    I shoot my Hi-Power at least once a week, steel plates at my families range in the warmer months, as well as silhouette & bullseye at Applied Ballistics during the inclimate weather. Great shooting gun, very accurate, and never any mechanical problems.

chevy2

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2010
    I owned one in the 1980`s and sold it during a moment of weakness.That being said it fit my hand well and shot great.There will be another in my future.

seamus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I know this may **** some of you off, but get a CZ-75 which is basically a modern Hi-Power for a lot less money.

safarihunter

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    South Bend
    As said above. $899 is a bit high for a Hi Power. I'm sure some shopping and some dickering will get you into one for less depending on condition and model.

Once you own a Hi Power, you will never be without one. You may own and enjoy lots of different pistols,but there isn't a classier pistol out there than the Hi Power.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ljmiddleton3
    Top Bottom