• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    I’ve always been of the mind set that- what something is worth in it’s original configuration is only relative to someone looking to buy the item in its original form.

You have already stated you and you son enjoy shooting it, and you always wanted one for your safe. So, do with it what you want. As it sits now, it’s never going to be what it once was.

Ill pose this question... if you sent this to Cylinder and Slide, Ted Yost, Jason Burton, Don Williams, Garth, Warner, Novak, or the likes for a full revamp... would it be worth more with work done by them or in its original form? Would it be more desirable in its original form or worth more once it was touched by a master? The answer to this is two fold... 1. It depends on the crowd you are asking. And 2. It depends on the crowds budget.

At this point the pistol has no historical value, it has no value in terms of an “unfired/new in box” pistol. The value in it at this point is that it’s a high power”.

i would definitely do some research on who you let refinish it (if you decide to do that)... I’ve seen some pretty horrific blue jobs man. I would also say think it over! You don’t need to make a decision right now:)

If if it were me, I’d shoot it and save some cash, once it was time I would sent it off to Yost for a full revamp on it! I would then keep it for a super special occasion and present it to your son as a “Heirloom” gift to be pass down from son to son!

Last edited:

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    I’ve always been of the mind set that- what something is worth in it’s original configuration is only relative the to someone looking to buy the item in its original form.

You have already stated you and you son enjoy shooting it, and you always wanted one for your safe. So, do with it what you want. As it sits now, it’s never going to be what it once was.

Ill pose this question... if you sent this to Cylinder and Slide, Ted Yost, Jason Burton, Don Williams, Garth, Warner, Novak, or the likes for a full revamp... would it be worth more with work done by them or in its original form? Would it be more desirable in its original form or worth more once it was touched by a master? The answer to this is two fold... 1. It depends on the crowd you are asking. And 2. It depends on the crowds budget.

At this point the pistol has no historical value, it has no value in terms of an “unfired/new in box” pistol. The value in it at this point is that it’s a high power”.

i would definitely do some research on who you let refinish it (if you decide to do that)... I’ve seen some pretty horrific blue jobs man. I would also say think it over! You don’t need to make a decision right now:)

If if it were me, I’d shoot it and save some cash, once it was time I would sent it off to Yost for a full revamp on it! I would then keep it for a super special occasion and present it to your son as a “Heirloom” gift to be pass down from son to son!
    You are very right, its never going to be what it once was, it is now something much better than it ever was, it is the first handgun my son Learned to shoot and quite well I might add. So looks like the plan will be to send it off for a full overhaul, as the memories will be attached to it always.

cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    Awesome! Who are you thinking of sending it to? I have experience with quite a few well known smiths. Feel free to PM me with any questions/concerns you may have!

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Awesome! Who are you thinking of sending it to? I have experience with quite a few well known smiths. Feel free to PM me with any questions/concerns you may have!
    We have a local guy I was thinking of him, its Severn's customs his shop is about 10 minutes from our place. I would also welcome any other suggestions. I want it to be done right.

cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    We have a local guy I was thinking of him, its Severn's customs his shop is about 10 minutes from our place. I would also welcome any other suggestions. I want it to be done right.

Being a “custom gun guy” I know it’s hard to make recommendations on this stuff. Everyone’s got “a guy”. Its almost like tattoos:).

In saying that, almost any gun smith you choose is going to have very different prices, wait times, signature work, or work quality. When I am choosing a smith for a project a lot of thought goes into the process. The first and most important thing is... am I 100% confident the smith is going to deliver exactly what I want. The second thing is what’s the reputation in terms of his work... along with that, “consider the source”. Consider the source is honestly the most crucial piece of information anyone can give you. Expectations of people differ very much, and because of that what you consider a master piece, I may consider a hunk of crap!

Wait times, pricing, and design are big things to consider as well... wait time and price are the least of my concern simply because the wait time and price are typically relative the the reputation of the smith you are sending it to...

I would really advise on searching the net the net for the following people:

Ted Yost
    Jim Garthwaite
    Don Williams
    Brandan Bunker
    Hierloom Precision
    Novack
    Cylinder and Slide

If it’s were my HP, I would be sending to Ted or Jim, but those guys may not even be accepting work right now. Not sure.

Again, the key is to look at pictures of what each Smith has turned out and decide who’s style you like best! Ask around for feedback based on actual experience with the smiths, and then decide if it makes sense.

Hope that was helpful!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom